Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 07:25 AM

8 posts, read 17,130 times

Advertisements

I was wondering with ample saving. Would it be wise to move to Cobb County(Smyrna) without out a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 07:32 AM

247 posts, read 1,290,438 times
It would depend upon what industry you work in. We moved here without my hubby having a job. He found a great one (which he still works at) on his first day looking. There are always companies looking to hire. So even if you don't get your "dream job" right away, you can still have employment.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:22 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
If you have a lot in that savings account and feel lucky, you can move anywhere (not just Cobb) and probably get some sort of job quickly. Keep in mind that the general idea is that you need "at least" three full months of living expenses saved up for all expenses (housing, food, medical, etc) in order to comfortably weather out a move or job loss - this is during a good economy though, so you may need to add a month or two to that these days. Otherwise, you might be in the red before you land a good job.

P.S... Cobb is considered a suburban area of Atlanta, so for future Cobb questions you may wish to post them in the Atlanta room instead of the general Georgia room. I'd move this one but you're already getting replies so will let it ride.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:28 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,035,971 times
Unless you are independently wealthy and or retired.. it's never a good idea to move someplace without a job or atleast a good job prospect (especially in this economy)

Old 07-25-2008, 10:30 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,035,971 times
Ditto about having atleast 3 months salary in savings.. but I would say more like 6.. because without an income.... you are going to pay more to rent an apartment.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:10 AM

8 posts, read 17,130 times
Thanks for all the comments. I really appreciate your expertise.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:57 PM

7 posts, read 21,956 times
Please do not move to Georgia without a job. I am a transplant from Southern California. My neighbors are from NewYork, Canada, Maryland etc.., Everyone has a minimum of a Bachelor's degree....We can't find jobs. Georgia advertises like they have so many jobs but they don't. If you are in the medical field you will be o.k.

Don't get me wrong, I love Georgia. I think Georgia is great but the job market is not good. I have been here for 4 years. Let's put it this way, my neighbor has a Master's degree with years of experience and works at home depot.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:56 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SURFERGIRL1 View Post
Let's put it this way, my neighbor has a Master's degree with years of experience and works at home depot.
Of course it depends what major your degree is in and where you earned it. An undergrad or grad degree in something like medieval French literature or history (and I'm a huge history buff), from the local college, isn't going to provide you with as many options as a computer science degree from GA Tech or MIT, or an MBA from Harvard.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:17 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
If you work in certain medical fields (especially if you're a nurse), there are jobs. Computer/network repair? Sure. Some web managers, too. Landscapers, well, ok (if you speak Spanish) and construction (same language ability needed). But Atlanta is not the land of milk and honey with jobs that some feel it is. Proceed with caution.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:59 AM

33 posts, read 121,475 times
I have been looking for a job now for atleast a month and no call backs... I still live in FL and cannot move without a job. I will fly in for job interviews and still nothing... I have a Master's Degree in Accounting and am currently employed as an accountant. I will continue to look and hopefully something will come my way.

Julie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: