Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 10:46 AM

913 posts, read 2,985,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtBenningrocks View Post
You are comparing apples to oranges.
A strong city needs good places to make money first not places to spend it.
Auburn has up and coming major companies pouring in and Columbus still has the same companies do the same ole thing(most hire seasonal now like Bradley to avoid paying benefits)
That is not growth to me.
Aflac's 2000+ new jobs at their newly expanded campus isn't growth to you? They are building nearly 400,000 sq. ft. of new office space. Come on man, you need more ammo. I will be glad to provide job growth numbers if you like.

Auburn has manufacturing plants that are locating in the area, not Fortune 500 companies (Aflac) and Fortune 1000 companies (Synovus) like Columbus has. Auburn is growing and that's good. It benefits the whole Columbus region.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:03 AM

14 posts, read 15,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
Aflac's 2000+ new jobs at their newly expanded campus isn't growth to you? They are building nearly 400,000 sq. ft. of new office space. Come on man, you need more ammo. I will be glad to provide job growth numbers if you like.

Auburn has manufacturing plants that are locating in the area, not Fortune 500 companies (Aflac) and Fortune 1000 companies (Synovus) like Columbus has. Auburn is growing and that's good. It benefits the whole Columbus region.
You are guided by status symbols and charts rather than the numbers such as employee pay and benefits,etc.
Auburn's growth is of benefit to its citizens but definitely has no growth factor for Columbus.
A friend of mine works at Aflac and told me that the bldg was just an upgrade and the jobs are low pay/high stress as usual.
Better reload there soldier.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:57 AM

913 posts, read 2,985,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FtBenningrocks View Post
You are guided by status symbols and charts rather than the numbers such as employee pay and benefits,etc.
Auburn's growth is of benefit to its citizens but definitely has no growth factor for Columbus.
A friend of mine works at Aflac and told me that the bldg was just an upgrade and the jobs are low pay/high stress as usual.
Better reload there soldier.
And blue-collar manufacturing jobs are any better? Come on man give me a break rofl

Looks like you are running out of bullets Private.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:06 PM

14 posts, read 15,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
And blue-collar manufacturing jobs are any better? Come on man give me a break rofl

Looks like you are running out of bullets Private.
Who said anything about blue collar jobs?
But definitely better than all those old Columbus mill jobs.

At ease soldier!
You can't fire your weapon unless you load it first.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:30 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,821 times
I wanted to not say anything about other places (I am way so tired of y-girl and her praise of Macon), but I was impressed with the interstate work they are doing in Augusta today when I drove through. And Augusta just does not look ugly (like other places) when you pass through. I came up through Wrens, hit the Bobby Jones then got on I-20 on my way to Columbia,S.C. where I sit even as I write this. The Savannah River is actually pretty to look at... and I saw not one slum on my drive through Augusta either. They could build a skyway in Macon and they still could not say that. Tampa Florida has the same problem as Macon... the drive through shows you ugly. Not so with Augusta.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:44 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
I am a HUGE fan of Augusta-and I have to say there are plenty of slum areas. Just not visible off the freeway.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:12 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,035,014 times
That's because you never drove through inner city Augusta.. the interstates are about 7 miles away from downtown in the suburban areas.. so of course you are not going to se slums.. take John C Calhoun expressway or Gordon Highway and you will see plenty of slums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
I wanted to not say anything about other places (I am way so tired of y-girl and her praise of Macon), but I was impressed with the interstate work they are doing in Augusta today when I drove through. And Augusta just does not look ugly (like other places) when you pass through. I came up through Wrens, hit the Bobby Jones then got on I-20 on my way to Columbia,S.C. where I sit even as I write this. The Savannah River is actually pretty to look at... and I saw not one slum on my drive through Augusta either. They could build a skyway in Macon and they still could not say that. Tampa Florida has the same problem as Macon... the drive through shows you ugly. Not so with Augusta.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:16 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Did a forum member just say they were a huge fan of Augusta? I must be dreaming. Somebody slap me to wake me up please.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:32 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,035,014 times
Well maybe they came from someplace worse like Florence, SC or Albany, GA... which in that case Augusta may seem big time.. or maybe they just like the smell of rotten eggs in the morning.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:36 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Did a forum member just say they were a huge fan of Augusta? I must be dreaming. Somebody slap me to wake me up please.
In all these threads (mostly about Columbus) I excluded Augusta because I have never spent any time there... just passed through. Despite what some might think, my opinions come from actually seeing and being around a place for at least some time. Of these "second tier" cities we keep ranting about, Augusta is the only one I cannot honestly comment about. And I do not purposely look for the bad things either.... despite what some might say. The funny thing about this is that I live about 40 miles from Macon, yet I think I was called a 'Columbus' guy!! But, that is way better than being called a 'Macon' guy... that place is just nasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia