Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2019, 08:50 AM

6 posts, read 5,250 times

Advertisements

In which direction do we see Douglasville going within the next five or ten years? I'm considering a move to something further from Atlanta and have received a positive CMA on our home, but wouldn't like to jump from the pan into the fire as far as possible crowding/crime/home values go. We moved here a decade ago when it was still small and somewhat quiet. It's changed, and while the conveniences are stellar (shopping and restaurants galore), I'm not sure I want to be navigating such a crowd when I'm 70 or so. Plus, we may need to downsize our home. Will crime rise in Douglasville? Will real estate values decrease/increase? Will taxes grow higher due to Douglasville's growing popularity?

Any realtors have any advice as to moving now or later?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 11:23 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,701,240 times
Douglasville is somewhat hard to nail down.

It's a solidly working class community with every generic restaurant and retailer you can think of, including a large regional shopping mall (Arbor Place).

It continues to see a significant influx of working/middle class African-Americans from western parts of Atlanta, which has shifted the demographics to one that is majority minority.

That being said, it's very much a bedroom community for people who work at the Airport, Fulton Industrial Park, etc. It has a very limited industrial or commercial tax base on its own. As a result, the growth has slowed down siginificantly from the explosive rate thar was occurring back in the 90s and 2000s (it's now one of the slower growing counties in Metro Atlanta).

Now, what does all of this mean as far as the future of Douglasville? While a much slower growth rate is good if you're concerned about overcrowding, the slower growth as relative poorer demographics and non-residential tax base means that the existing residents will have to chip in an increasing higher proportion of their income to pay for the infrastructure that's been built up (higher taxes). This has happened in Fayette County for example, which is the slowest growing county in the Metro area but also has the highest property tax rates. Same thing (high property tax rates) is also happening in Henry County as much of the growth there consisting of individuals on the lower end of the economic scale.

Also, Douglasville in general has relatively low population density compared to the northern suburbs of Atlanta and even Henry County. With all of the retail closings happening, I would be concerned about Douglasville being hit especially hard given how over-stored it is.

So to sum everything up? I think Douglas County is a fine place if you're seeking an affordable place to live that's close to Atlanta without the insane congestion you find in the northern suburbs. I just wouldn't expect any crazy appreciation in home values and you will likely end up paying more in taxes than folks in, say, Cherokee or Forsyth Counties. Also, you will be out of luck if you're seeking places like Trader Joe's, Costco, Whole Foods, etc. (the demographics just aren't there to support those places).

Old 06-03-2019, 07:18 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,511,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Douglasville is somewhat hard to nail down.

It's a solidly working class community with every generic restaurant and retailer you can think of, including a large regional shopping mall (Arbor Place).

It continues to see a significant influx of working/middle class African-Americans from western parts of Atlanta, which has shifted the demographics to one that is majority minority.

That being said, it's very much a bedroom community for people who work at the Airport, Fulton Industrial Park, etc. It has a very limited industrial or commercial tax base on its own. As a result, the growth has slowed down siginificantly from the explosive rate thar was occurring back in the 90s and 2000s (it's now one of the slower growing counties in Metro Atlanta).

Now, what does all of this mean as far as the future of Douglasville? While a much slower growth rate is good if you're concerned about overcrowding, the slower growth as relative poorer demographics and non-residential tax base means that the existing residents will have to chip in an increasing higher proportion of their income to pay for the infrastructure that's been built up (higher taxes). This has happened in Fayette County for example, which is the slowest growing county in the Metro area but also has the highest property tax rates. Same thing (high property tax rates) is also happening in Henry County as much of the growth there consisting of individuals on the lower end of the economic scale.

Also, Douglasville in general has relatively low population density compared to the northern suburbs of Atlanta and even Henry County. With all of the retail closings happening, I would be concerned about Douglasville being hit especially hard given how over-stored it is.

So to sum everything up? I think Douglas County is a fine place if you're seeking an affordable place to live that's close to Atlanta without the insane congestion you find in the northern suburbs. I just wouldn't expect any crazy appreciation in home values and you will likely end up paying more in taxes than folks in, say, Cherokee or Forsyth Counties. Also, you will be out of luck if you're seeking places like Trader Joe's, Costco, Whole Foods, etc. (the demographics just aren't there to support those places).
I like this assesssment. I also would like to add: while I typically don’t like to lace a city/county with sprinkles of prejudice, I have always felt like Atlanta’s I-20 suburbs were full of it. Douglas, Rockdale, and Newton. It’s hard to put into words, so it’s best that my opinion be taken with a grain of salt. Time does bring about change and Metropolitan Atlanta in 2019 is a much different place than in 2000. I’ve never cared for I-20 corridor and I admit that it probably will not change.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:50 AM

6 posts, read 5,250 times
Thanks Citidata18. Great information. We’re looking at homes in the outskirts of Carollton/Villa Rica/ Winston areas tomorrow just to get a feel for things. They have larger lots, are away from the city, and the homes are comparable to our own in price and size. My wife says these spots seem quieter.

Iswooty, in what way is Douglasville prejudiced? I’ve not experienced this in the ten years we’ve lived here. Our neighbors have been supportive and helpful to us, as has the town itself. We just don’t care for the crowding and don’t see an end to that. We can see it increasing exponentially. But prejudice, we haven’t experienced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia