Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 01:57 PM

29 posts, read 86,852 times

Advertisements

I am preparing to move to the Macon area, and am in need of some advice. I will give you a basic run down:

I am moving from the Oklahoma City area
I have 2 elementary aged children
I am from North West FL (originally)

Specifically, I am looking for an area that is safe, with all the amenities that any family would enjoy (parks, extra curricular activities for my kids, convenience to shopping, restaurants, etc...), good schools (from reading other posts Houston County is a good option for schools). We will be stationed at Robins, but would commute for quality of living. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 02:00 PM

177 posts, read 221,805 times
You are heading right where you need to be....best schools around...the activities for kids are endless here....I love it and I know you will too.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:05 PM

Default some specifics...

Here my kids are involved in Karate, and are basically in sports year round (Basketball, soccer, and baseball) We play with the YMCA here, DO you guys have a Y there, and if not, is there a city league? Any specifics on elementary schools? Also, in Houston County, where do you recommend? I have heard that Kathleen, Bonaire, Warner Robins, and Perry are nice. I am planning a trip down in March to check the area out, and just want to make sure I hit all my options. Thanks so much for your help!!

Old 01-20-2008, 03:01 PM

I would suggest the Kathleen/Bonaire area. Its not as crowded and the schools are great.
Yes, there is a Y here and (not a pitch, just giving you info) our church has this great community program called "Kingdom Impact" that teaches kids from 3 and up gymnastics, chearleading, basketball,football, Kenpo (martial arts) and other things as well as adult stuff like massages, tobacco sessation programs, etc.
We do also have a Y and yes, some great city league stuff. You`ll find this is one town in the area where the focus is almost totally on family.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:04 PM

OH yeah...the schools here change to different zones every 4 years...which means, you may live in this school zone now, but after the 4 year time period, it will change to another one. All the schools over here are good though, so it wont be a problem.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:29 PM

511 posts, read 2,477,848 times
Warner RObins is a good town as Peelo said, in my opinion it has the best school district in Georgia, however if your looking for entertainment your not to far from Macon, i'm sure you may have heard of the International Cherry Blossom festival which is a great venue each spring for the entire Southeast United States. Often time major plays, and artist will roll through Macon at the Coliseum. So Warner RObins offer the great family small town feel, while not being far from some great big town venues. There are also many Nationally Recognized Museums, and Historic Places such as the Hay House, which was displayed on Oprah's Favortie Things 2007.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:32 PM

Every 4 years????? When are they set to change again? What is the logic behind this? My kids are military dependents, they have to start over enough at the whim of the Air Force. I'm not sure I want to subject them to having to start new schools any more than they will have to due to relocation. Do all the school districts in that area do that? Wow, that is a little disturbing...any good advice on private schools?

Old 01-20-2008, 10:01 PM

this is the deal.....They do it basically for the poor kids. It gives every kid the same opportunity.If they didnt do it this way, then lets face it, some kids would have better opportunities strictly because of where they live and the amount of money their parents have. I dont mind it. It works out great . LIke, my kids have friends here in the neighborhood (which in most cases is where the closest friends live anyway.) So, when your kids would have to change, then so would their friends. You can actually request your child to stay in the same school with the BOE, but I havent had a problem with the change. My kids do have access to more than most kids do, but I dont want them looking down their noses at anyone. This actually helps them see and appreciate more...it also shows them good friends can be found in what some folks see as "poor" or "trashy".

But yes, there is a great private school here.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:29 PM

My concerns have nothing to do with keeping my kids sheltered from other children. I definitely see the pros of switching it up, but my guys have already had to move around alot, and it is very traumatic on them every time. We will only be there for 3 years as it is, I'd simply like to provide them with as much stability as I can considering their father's frequent deployments and eventual relocation. I am an educator myself, and my first choice would be to have them in public schools, do you know what the schedule for changing districts is? Maybe it will work out so that we get there at the beginning of the cycle...

As I said, we will be in the area checking it out in march, any specific neighborhoods or areas that you could recommend would be greatly appreciated. It is always so stressful moving to an area that you know nothing about. Your thoughts and advice has been Awesome! Thanks alot!

Old 01-20-2008, 10:35 PM

511 posts, read 2,477,848 times
Mount de Sales Academy located in Historic Downtown Macon just north of the MEdical Center of Central Georgia is a great private school, and is less than 20 minutes from Warner Robins. Mount de Sales is recognized around the state for its academics, while mainting a great sports program. THe official site of Mount de Sales is listed below along with parent reviews, and state statistics such as student to teacher ratio and passing percentage. Some of the area's smartest children attend Mount de Sales.

Mount de Sales Academy
Mount de Sales Academy (Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Great Schools Review
Student Teacher Ratio Mount De Sales Academy - Macon, Georgia - GA

Private School Review
Mount de Sales Academy - Macon, Georgia/GA - Private School Profile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia