Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 04:53 PM

726 posts, read 2,818,367 times

Advertisements

MACON GROWTH
Capital City Bank is expected to begin construction of its new corporate office and bank this month at 325 Fifth St. and Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard in Macon,

Quote.com News & Commentary - News Story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 05:12 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,239,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
well what a lot of people fail to realize is that these developments are just not supported souly by Macon, but Macon has strong economic pull in the MGA and also from some part of south GA....Macon is a Hub for 22 counties in MGA with a combine pop of over 700,000....Thats what developers and investors are considering....Not only that but its proximity to Atlanta and access to interstates and travelers.
i think what you fail to realize is that people say the same thing about valdosta. the only time i stop in macon is on my way to atlanta, and its for food, gas, etc. . .

we don't go there to shop.

i don't know anyone from this area that does. not to say they don't exist, i'm just saying we're being told the same things about our cities.

our metro area population is 130,170.
our main retail pull population is over 250k.
our advertising area is over 500k, and probably includes some of the counties that macon includes in their stats, just like some of those areas macon uses in there statistics are grouped in atlanta's pull area, and probably savannah's as well.

i don't want you to think i'm against macon; like i said earlier in this post i think they have a lot of potential; probably the most in this state. but what i want you to realize is that these figures are usually skewed to benefit the area they're trying to promote. i hope your area prospers; i hope this entire state does. just know that its going to be a few more years before it starts to take form. these things usually happen in spurts. valdosta is in such a spurt right now with its non-residential growth. its booming right now. it will slow down in another year and then our residential growth will expand; its a back-and-forth process. i do salute your developers who are trying to make this happen though; i hope they come through. it takes visionaries to make these things reality, and it sounds like you have some up there. our economy is based mostly on military, education, and health care. macon has the ability to be extremely diverse and that's such a key ingredient to a prosperous city. i'm not an expert on macon, but thinking to myself right now i can't picture one thing that is really driving your area like i can with valdosta. to be honest, i've been hitting the scotch for the past hour and i've lost my train of thought right here. i hope i'm not rambling too much.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:41 PM

107 posts, read 309,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
i think what you fail to realize is that people say the same thing about valdosta. the only time i stop in macon is on my way to atlanta, and its for food, gas, etc. . .

i don't know anyone from this area that does. not to say they don't exist, i'm just saying we're being told the same things about our cities.

our advertising area is over 500k, and probably includes some of the counties that macon includes in their stats, just like some of those areas macon uses in there statistics are grouped in atlanta's pull area, and probably savannah's as well.

i don't want you to think i'm against macon; like i said earlier in this post i think they have a lot of potential; probably the most in this state. but what i want you to realize is that these figures are usually skewed to benefit the area they're trying to promote. i hope your area prospers; i hope this entire state does. just know that its going to be a few more years before it starts to take form. these things usually happen in spurts. valdosta is in such a spurt right now with its non-residential growth. its booming right now. it will slow down in another year and then our residential growth will expand; its a back-and-forth process. i do salute your developers who are trying to make this happen though; i hope they come through. it takes visionaries to make these things reality, and it sounds like you have some up there. our economy is based mostly on military, education, and health care. macon has the ability to be extremely diverse and that's such a key ingredient to a prosperous city. i'm not an expert on macon, but thinking to myself right now i can't picture one thing that is really driving your area like i can with valdosta. to be honest, i've been hitting the scotch for the past hour and i've lost my train of thought right here. i hope i'm not rambling too much.
Nothing like that good ole festive spirit......you are forgiven lol

Old 11-24-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:

Well not to put Valdosta down or be rude , but there is no comparison to Macon and Valdosta..... Macon has so much that drives its economy, Theres near by Warner Robins which is now the 8th largest city in Ga and Robins AFB which(emp 25,000), Interstate access of (I-475,75 & 16) but how Macon differs from Valdosta interstate access, is that 75 bypasses the city, but runs straight though the center of Macon which brings revenue from travelers on 475 and 75, also I-16 runs through downtown; so in other words every part of town has either 475,75 or16 running though or near........(Education) 5 Colleges & Universities and 3 technical schools in the area, combines brings (20-30,000 students a year)pursuing an education in the Metro ...Also Macon has a host of companies likes GEICO Largest Regional HQ(emp 3800), Medical Center of central Ga 2nd largest Hospital in Ga(emp 5500), Ga Farmer's Bureau HQ,AT&T,IKON, and several others. many of large companies like Sara lee, Kohl's, Bass pro, Armstrong, Blue Bird, Frito Lays, Purdue & Chic fil-a all have Manufacturing faculties,ware houses and distribution centers located here ans more faculties are proposed like Kumho tires, Kellogg's, Nitchishi and Academy sports. Macon's centralized location and short distance to Atlanta, also aid it growth. Macon Also has the (5,000 seat)Macon City Auditorium, (10,000 seat)Coliseum arena and Centreplex/ convention center which brings a lot of conventions, concerts,ice skating, Arena football, basketball and a variety of events to Macon; as well as Luther-Williams field where Macon's minor league Baseball team plays. Just to give you an idea.....

FYI:
Macon Economic Development Commission web site
http://www.maconworks.com/about-macon/index.asp (broken link)

Middle Georgia Regional Development Center
http://www.mgrdc.org/code/services.html (broken link)

Newtown Macon
http://www.newtownmacon.com/newtown-macon-projects.html (broken link)
http://www.newtownmacon.com/urban-design-plans.html (broken link)
http://www.newtownmacon.com/project-renderings.html (broken link)

Last edited by yerocal; 11-24-2008 at 09:06 PM..

Old 11-24-2008, 09:12 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
Quote:

Well said. Glad you could look past the bashers and see that its not about Macon, Columbus, Augusta, Valdosta, Atlanta or Savannah alone. Its about the entire state of Georgia. We should all be happy for each city's prosperities. Especially in these hard economic times.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Well not to put Valdosta down or be rude , but there is no comparison to Macon and Valdosta..... Macon has so much that drives its economy,
oh come on, is that all you got out of my post?

*sigh* i'll have to break it down for you then.

(all quotes by me!)

Quote:
i don't want you to think i'm against macon; like i said earlier in this post i think they have a lot of potential; probably the most in this state.
non-comparative compliment

Quote:
what i want you to realize is that these figures are usually skewed to benefit the area they're trying to promote
truth, my friend

Quote:
i do salute your developers who are trying to make this happen though; i hope they come through. it takes visionaries to make these things reality, and it sounds like you have some up there.
non-comparative compliment

Quote:
our economy is based mostly on military, education, and health care.
our = valdosta; pay attention, this line leads up to the next one

Quote:
macon has the ability to be extremely diverse and that's such a key ingredient to a prosperous city. i'm not an expert on macon, but thinking to myself right now i can't picture one thing that is really driving your area like i can with valdosta.
basically what that means is, if one of those 3 economic engines i listed above for valdosta bottoms out, we're in trouble; i don't see any one or two major economic engines in macon that would kill the economy if they were gone. that was a compliment to your city. robins afb is huge, but i think macon would survive without it. valdosta would limp by for 10 years if we lost moody right now, which i honestly think will happen within 15 years.

i wasn't comparing our cities; the only thing i did compare was the growth news we each hear. the things you are saying about macon are being said about valdosta. the point i was making is that a lot of it is just hype. saks isn't coming to macon anytime soon. if it does, i hope i'll be the first you inform so i can apologize (and that means within the next year).

Old 11-24-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
oh come on, is that all you got out of my . saks isn't coming to macon anytime soon. if it does, i hope i'll be the first you inform so i can apologize (and that means within the next year).
I wouldn't speak too fast they said a lot of things would never happen or come to Ga but now it is happening.... These projects that we speak of are not just plans but they all are under constructions, the developers are recruiting these types of retailer to lease spots in the developments.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't speak too fast they said a lot of things would never happen or come to Ga but now it is happening.... These projects that we speak of are not just plans but they all are under constructions, the developers are recruiting these types of retailer to lease spots in the developments.
a quick web-search revealed a macon telegraph article about saks looking to put a store in macon, but it was their parisian line of stores, which was sold to belk's and all of them converted. that article was from 2006. hard to believe you went from a parisian to a full blown saks in two years. that's like going from a one wal-mart town to a 10 wal-mart town overnight. i anxiously await the outcome of this one.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:08 PM

913 posts, read 2,985,012 times
Quote:
Man You are such a Macon Hater.....Either you stuck on stupid or you just plain out Ridiculous ..
I am just telling you the truth that's all. You over-exaggerate on here a lot.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:51 PM

283 posts, read 1,193,613 times
Unfortunately Macon did go from a one Wal-Mart town to a
4 Wal-Mart town virtually overnight. 4 very large Wal-Marts too. Or is it 5? Can't remember. Disgusting in any case and I now feel I need to go wash out my mouth for even speaking that name.

While the majority of Macon can not afford to support Saks (which explains the over populous of WM) and the like of the low - mid range "luxury" retail stores there are enough people in and around the area that can. Plus its location places it well for the strategic draw of its region and the surrounding regions as well. I don't think these stores on large scale would be of benefit for the chains but if managed properly small to mid-sized retail stores of this caliber would make a a strong and lasting showing that eventually call for expansion. I also think that placing such a store there during the current economic situation and it making it through this current market would only better prove its ability to survive thus jostling a better and higher economic drive train for the newly discovered area's potential.

Quote:
a quick web-search revealed a macon telegraph article about saks looking to put a store in macon, but it was their parisian line of stores, which was sold to belk's and all of them converted. that article was from 2006. hard to believe you went from a parisian to a full blown saks in two years. that's like going from a one wal-mart town to a 10 wal-mart town overnight. i anxiously await the outcome of this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia