Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 05:49 PM

9 posts, read 20,654 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a good school for Exceptional student education in High School? I was looking at Canton or Woodstock? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Please respond even if it is not in Canton or Woodstock area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 05:31 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
Are you in Georgia yet or are your relocating here?

What is the nature of the student's disabilities and what is your vision/hope for that child's future?

Old 12-13-2008, 09:21 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by info1234 View Post
Does anyone know of a good school for Exceptional student education in High School?
"Exceptional Student?" Are you asking about a gifted student or one with "special needs?" There are many schools in the area that have programs for gifted students....have no idea about special needs.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:43 AM

Not gifted. A student that is high functioning but needs special services that provides accomodations. Maybe able to be mainstreamed with supports. Needs a welcoming school environment with teachers who care and a school support system that provides postive supports. Any recommendations in Georgia for High schools that are great?

Old 12-13-2008, 04:35 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
Info

Can you answer my other questions?

What is your hope/vision for this child?

Are you in a good position where you are now? I take it you are not in GA.

Less than 50 percent of GA's special ed students finish high school.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:24 AM

How do you know these statistics? Are you closely familiar with special ed. in Georgia? Do you work for the school system? I appreciate the response, however, I wish that you had told me this first. I take it that you are not happy with ESE in Georgia! Can I look up this statistic and where would I go to look it up? What is the percentage of regular ed. students in Georgia that finish/graduate high school in Georgia? Is it also low?

Old 12-14-2008, 09:52 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
You really can't look at the statistics for the State and get a good viewpoint of what is happening in the individual School Systems. Some simply do not have the resources to supply a suitable education for exceptional children.
Also, "graduation" doesn't mean a thing. In my local system, students receive a certificate after a certain lenght of time. It's just a piece of paper. I think we have a good exceptional student program. Many make it through the entire 12 years. Many drop out long before. So much depends on the families.

When our youngest graduated, there were two in his class that got to march with the others, went up and received a certificate, but were so out of it that they each had to be led up by an attendent. One even had to be prodded to reach out his hand to take his folder. But hey! They graduated with the others, didn't they!

The individual teachers also make all the difference. One school may have a great program, but terrible teachers, another will have dedicated teachers, but a bare bones program.. Which is better for your child? You have to really do your home work with the schools in the area you are interested in.

Just another word about statistics. The "No child left behind" program requires that all groups reach a certain goal in graduation, attendance, etc. This includes the Exceptional Student classes too. One of our local High Schools, with an excellent program, missed the cut off mark because there was one student whose physical problems caused him to miss so much school that the goal mark was missed by only 1%. The school appealed, but it did no good. The entire school was placed in the "needs to improve" group.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:52 PM

I am looking for dedicated teachers. Dedicated teachers that promote a safe learning environment is the most important aspect of a child's education. With dedication, teaching comes naturally. The child flourishes and feels important. Safety and discipline in the classroom is at the top of my list too. Please supply names of schools to research. Thanks

Old 12-14-2008, 05:36 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Since you mentioned Canton and Woodstock, I'm assuming you're somehow predisposed to starting your search there. There are only a few high schools in Cherokee County, so why not just start by researching the situation in those? You can look at Woodstock High, Sequoyah, Creekview, Cherokee, and Etowah.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:05 PM

I don't want to guess. I need people to answer who have experience in this situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia