Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 11:36 PM

8 posts, read 17,192 times

Advertisements

My fiancee and I are considering different options for where we might want to start our lives together once we are married. I own a company in Indiana and she is a teacher in Kentucky... we both have easily relocatable jobs and would like to live someplace warmer.

We are trying to decide on a place in the south because we love the hospitality and food. We are considering Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, or maybe even Florida. We need a place that has a solid professional workforce, incredible views, and no snow! We are young and also would like to live someplace with an active and dynamic vibe. Price of living is also important and a place that leans politically right would be better. I also love the beach and water sports.

Any ideas/suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 05:08 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
Teaching jobs are almost non-available these days. If she has a good one, you should probably move to her and wait until the economy improves. For public education, the forecast is grim -- as most school systems rely on property tax revenue to fund their school systems. It is expected (at a minimum) that it will at least two years after the recession ends that local tax revenues will begin to improve.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:10 AM

470 posts, read 1,501,285 times
What do you mean by no snow? We get snow in the south, not often, but last year we had about 8" in Athens. It happens about every 10 years or so. You also appear to have some conflicting desires in where you would like to live. Incredible views cost money.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:59 AM

8 posts, read 17,192 times
Of course, I'm not talking about a freak snow storm but I don't want to live someplace that gets a foot a year. I'm also willing to pay a little more to live in a nice place.... I don't need the LOWEST cost of living in the country, just comparatively low to other nice places.

My fiancee is a special ed teacher with special certification in severe and profound disabilities. She had no problem finding her current job. Are there really a bunch of unemployed teachers in Georgia right now?

Old 08-31-2009, 03:47 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
Yes-- there are unemployed teachers (for the first time in forever, I might add). Class sizes have been increased, extras have been cut and fewer teachers are changing careers or retiring because of the economy. Oh, and some school systems are shrinking.

HOWEVER, she should have no problem finding a job with her certification.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:59 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeshonder View Post
What do you mean by no snow? We get snow in the south, not often, but last year we had about 8" in Athens. It happens about every 10 years or so.
There is no real snow here in Georgia. There are freak storms maybe once a generation, but in general, there are flurries a couple of times a year in north GA, and possibly an inch, two or even three of accumulation that disappears quickly. Not sure about 8" in Athens, but we had a day here in Cobb with one inch that didn't even cover the roads.

People who have lived with real snow know what it is...and GA doesn't have it. That's a good thing BTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia