Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 07:44 PM

1 posts, read 4,429 times

Advertisements

as of
Quote:
Originally Posted by nousername View Post
Thinking about relocating to Thomaston,GA. Anyone from there that could clue me in on how it is to live there? Good place to raise a family? How is the realestate market? Looked all over the internet no info really. My husband will be transferring to the rock quad graphics plant...anyone work there ?? info on how it is?? He now works in the Saratoga springs,NY plant. Thanks alot
hey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,397 times
I live at The Rock, close to Quad Graphics. We moved here in Novemeber from a small town in Alabama, where I have lived most of my life. Be prepared- the best I can tell, all anyone does here is either play sports or go to church, and you need to be either Baptist or Methodist. There is a very tiny Episcopal church and a Catholic Church as well, as a matter of fact there is an closed Catholic Church in Barnesville that is for sale that you could fix up for your house!

I share sentiments re: Barnesville, it is a lovely little town and I personally prefer it to Thomaston, but it is in a separate county. Upson County (Thomaston) appeared to have better schools than Lamar County (Barnesville). I personally do not have any hard and fast evidence to base that on, it was just a feeling I got when touring schools and interviewing the faculty. There is also a private Epicopal school in Milner. I personally prefer to support the public system. So we moved as close to Barnesville as we could while staying in Upson County. If you do decide to move here, look me up so we can start a campaign against litter- that is my main complaint about Upson County.

They have everything you need for daily life, several grocery stores, a small theatre, Super Wal Mart, etc.. and if I need more I make the 40 minute run over to Macon where they have tons of stores and a bigger theatre, Sam's Club etc.

Good luck with your move.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:36 PM

283 posts, read 1,193,737 times
Its cheap cheap cheap! Beautiful scenery and that's about it. You can get to know everyone in town by going to Wal-Mart. Even though I don't like Wal-Mart I would probably start going again if I lived there. It is almost like a social event for the community. Funny little place but enjoyable. I don't think I would want live that far out but it is a very tight nit community that cares for all its neighbors like family. Never heard anything bad about the schools there but you really don't hear a lot about Thomaston in general. You know what they say. If no body's talking about you, then you must be doing something right. They can't find anything wrong with you so whats to talk about. Shouldn't be that way, I quess, but seems to come natural for most to want to hear the dirt. If you can get used to traveling for entertainment or think a farm & country type lifestyle is entertaining enough then this place just can't get any better. Lots of luck and best wishes to you.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 8,744 times
Default Moving to Thomaston

Thank you for all the input. But... I did not see any posts regarding crime in Thomaston, the areas to avoid, etc.
I must add to that there is a really GREAT church in Thomaston, not a denomination, but 'right on': Pleasant Valley Church. It is just out of town on Crest Highway.
That is the reason we are looking for a house in Thomaston. We want to be an active part of the ministry not just a 'fly in' once a year.

Another great restaurant too is Jasons!

If anyone knows how to search the local police records, I would sure appreciate a link.
THANK YOU,

Old 04-07-2007, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 8,744 times
Default Mistake on restuarant name

The great little restaurant is Justins!!!!!!!!

Old 04-07-2007, 02:36 PM

283 posts, read 1,193,737 times
It's going to be hard to find anything as far as crime stats go. They do have a little bit of crime but nothing really to mention. Just a guess, I really don't know but I would think if you found a hot spot for crime it would probably be closest to the major shopping centers. Mostly just because this is where everything seems to happen good or bad. And even then I think it would limited to the the occasional car break in. Not sure that even break in would be the correct term as most people in Thomaston leave everything unlocked from cars to houses. It is easy to get in that routine too. I wasn't even spending the night but was there everyday for about 2 wks and I found myself just walking away from my car not worried about it. I just simply had no worries of any crime there even subconsciously.
The only crime I can ever even remember of hearing out of Thomaston was once when a group of 4 guys were running from the cops in a robbery in a ATL. They supposedly hide out there overnight and then were stupid enough to try robbing a store there too which resulted in a few injuries but the 4 were arrested. I'm not sure of exact year but it was 7-10 years ago.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 4,341 times
We lived in Thomaston for approx 10 yr and left in the late '80s. We visited two yrs ago and were shocked. The town appears to be dying slowly, unlike Barnesville that appears to have grown and prospered. I guess this reflects the mills' closings. I think the only jobs left are small farms, service and health industry. From what I can tell the median family income actually decreased from 2000 to 2005. The city has ostensibly been overlooked by their state representatives and I wouldn't move there if I had a choice.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:50 PM

2 posts, read 8,493 times
I lived there for 20 years. It is an awful place to live. It's full of hypocrites, self righteous people and gossipers. Everyone there lives in a bubble and forget any culture. It reminds you of being in high school all over again. I heard today that Quad Graphics will be closing in 2-4 years. It's been the main employer besides the D.O.T. for years. I wouldn't be moving there I'd be getting out.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:52 PM

2 posts, read 8,493 times
You must not be talking about the same Thomaston Georgia I lived in. You can't even walk home from a club without geting into an altercation and possibly end up dying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickleswanson View Post
It's going to be hard to find anything as far as crime stats go. They do have a little bit of crime but nothing really to mention. Just a guess, I really don't know but I would think if you found a hot spot for crime it would probably be closest to the major shopping centers. Mostly just because this is where everything seems to happen good or bad. And even then I think it would limited to the the occasional car break in. Not sure that even break in would be the correct term as most people in Thomaston leave everything unlocked from cars to houses. It is easy to get in that routine too. I wasn't even spending the night but was there everyday for about 2 wks and I found myself just walking away from my car not worried about it. I just simply had no worries of any crime there even subconsciously.
The only crime I can ever even remember of hearing out of Thomaston was once when a group of 4 guys were running from the cops in a robbery in a ATL. They supposedly hide out there overnight and then were stupid enough to try robbing a store there too which resulted in a few injuries but the 4 were arrested. I'm not sure of exact year but it was 7-10 years ago.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:28 PM

16 posts, read 62,264 times
Default Crime stats

Check out Moderator cut: link removed and you can search for crime stats etc. by city or zip code. Also check out Map Sex Offenders in my local area and neighborhood. Search for and find registered sexual predators in our free national registry. and that will also tell you a lot! Good luck!

Last edited by Yac; 11-02-2007 at 03:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia