Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2006, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,121 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some input about the Dunwoody area I have a job offer. I am married with 2 young boys 8 & 10, I need to know about Schools Crime and Housing Prefer single family home in the price range of 250,000.00 to 325,00.00

Thanks for the input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2006, 01:09 PM

426 posts, read 2,322,741 times
Decent single family homes in the Dunwoody areas start at $300,000. And these are usually older homes which need renovations The Dunwoody area has two high schools: North Springs in Sandy Springs and Dunwoody High School in Dunwoody proper. Dunwoody is one of Atlanta's most affluent communities and new single family homes in the area usually start on the low end of the market in the 500s range. I would suggest a move to East Cobb. While the majority of East Cobb is highly affluent, homes in the low 300s are usually bigger and in better conditions than the homes in Dunwoody. Also, the property taxes in Cobb County are much lower than those in Fulton and DeKalb Counties. If you move to the Wheeler or Lassiter districts you can be in some of the best school disticts of Cobb County while being within a twenty minute commute of work. Most new homes that begin with prices in the $250-325,000 range are no where near Dunwoody so if being close to work and close to great public schools is a major factor in buying a house, you will have to forego that luxury.

Last edited by stvincent; 11-08-2006 at 01:39 PM..

Old 11-08-2006, 01:36 PM

425 posts, read 1,756,118 times
It is hard to find even townhomes in that price range unless they are adjacent to I-285 or Doraville/Norcross. If the budget can be stretched, Dunwoody is no doubt a great area. As the previous poster has stated, most new developments are well above 500k range, with several 800k to 900k range developments sprinkled in.

Old 11-25-2006, 07:28 AM

465 posts, read 2,427,416 times
Dunwoody, Dunwoody. Well, Dunwoody is a very affluent area for the most part, and has one of the nicest shopping/mall areas in Atlanta. $300,000 however, will not get you a lot. You would be looking at a single family home, that needs a lot of TLC, so plan to tack on an extra $75-$100k into your home loan for renovations; even if the home doesn't look like much, in Dunwoody, it's all about paying for the area. On the other hand, you could buy a nice 1, MAYBE 2 bedroom condo for that price, although a 2 bdrm is really pushing it.

As for home ownership in Dunwoody, you need to be prepared to spend. I don't know what quality you're looking for, but $500k (and not necessarily new, at this price) should have you set fairly nicely for your first Atlanta home. I've previously worked as a real estast assistant, and know Atlanta real estate pretty well. As for homeowners, Dunwoody is mostly white, with a fair Asian mix and a few blacks here or there. Be sure to stay on the east side of Georgia 400. There's a part of Dunwoody that borders Sandy Springs on the west side, up Roswell Rd. that's o.k., I guess, but stay to the east.

Atlanta can be a great place to live, good luck!

Old 07-30-2009, 01:31 PM

3 posts, read 10,516 times
I am a Dunwoody resident. I love our area although I do agree, you will probably not find anything new in your price range. A great area that is convenient to Dunwoody would be Roswell or Alpharetta. Personally I think that East Cobb might be too far to drive with traffic. If you would like to find out more info. just email me at coloradoswan@yahoo.com. Thanks and good luck with your new job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia