Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2009, 01:57 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,115 times

Advertisements

I have often read about the tourism industry in Georgia being the second largest in the state behind agriculture. Lately I have seen an unbelievable amount of litter on our roadways. What kind of an impact does this have on out-of-staters who pass through? To me, it is an embarrassment for my home state. Whats the problem here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 02:00 PM

970 posts, read 2,949,839 times
Soultions:

*Cry about it on teh internets
*Volunteer for a road beautification project (maybe recruit members of your job or church to adopt a roadway?)

Pick one.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:03 PM

OKay....Picking it up doesn't solve the problem of how it got there. Just trying to raise awareness perhaps?

Old 02-26-2009, 05:47 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
I agree, I get disgusted with the trash thrown out on the side of the road. I currently live in NE GA on a dirt road and at least 3-4 times a month someone drives by and dumps their garbage on my road

We recently got a Kroger shoping center in Jefferson and now the amount of trash on the side of the road around the area is offensive.

Quote:
Picking it up doesn't solve the problem of how it got there
This is too true, I just don't understand the mentality of someone throwing their stuff out the window. I was born and raised in Oregon...you won't see that happening there, at least not while I was living there. We took PRIDE in our state and our suroundings and would never think of throwing our trash out of the car as we drive along.

It's one of the many reasons I've come to hate living in GA and pray for the day the real estate market comes back so I can get out of here

Old 02-28-2009, 05:58 AM

150 posts, read 481,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I have often read about the tourism industry in Georgia being the second largest in the state behind agriculture. Lately I have seen an unbelievable amount of litter on our roadways. What kind of an impact does this have on out-of-staters who pass through? To me, it is an embarrassment for my home state. Whats the problem here?

Litters in every state and we probally need a better trash and recycling program. But when It comes to Tourism who cares screw them. Forget Tourism and lets focus on getting better industry.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTRYFRIED View Post
Litters in every state and we probally need a better trash and recycling program. But when It comes to Tourism who cares screw them. Forget Tourism and lets focus on getting better industry.
If tourism is the second biggest industry in Georgia, this means it provides the second most amount of MONEY into our state capitol. It's important. Besides, we need that money to attract better industry. What we need is for Georgians who take pride in thier state (which I would say is most) to make an effort to discourage others from littering, and to not litter themselves. I read an article written from an independant study group that the state hired to assess Georgia's litter problem. 65% of litter in Georgia is negligent litter, meaning it comes from the back of pickup-trucks and trailers as they fly down the highway. Our deliberate litter rates were actually the lowest of any of the states this company had assessed. Those other states included Indiana, Michigan, Nevada, North Carolina, and New York. There should be a better public education program on putting litter in pick-up beds, as well as making it more of a state pride issue. There just hasn't been a big focus on it yet.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:43 PM

184 posts, read 511,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
OKay....Picking it up doesn't solve the problem of how it got there.
Maybe. I think people are more likely to litter if they already see a bunch of trash there and feel like no one will even notice it though.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:36 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
I'm reviving this thread because between 9am and 10am this morning someone pulled into the bottom of my driveway (can't see it from my house) and dumped a bunch of garbage

I did call 911 and they sent out some marshals but nothing will come of it and now I have to clean up the mess.

I do not understand this mentality of lack of respect for others and the earth. I was so mad that I could hardly function today.

Oh and how can I pin point the time. A neighbor came over to pick up my tractor to take it to get the blades sharpened at 9 and it wasn't there and at 10 I headed out to Wally world and the mess was there.

I'm so sick of Georgia and their attitudes, I wish I could move so anyone wanting 10 acres in Jackson county please pm.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:40 PM

925 posts, read 2,606,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I'm reviving this thread because between 9am and 10am this morning someone pulled into the bottom of my driveway (can't see it from my house) and dumped a bunch of garbage

I did call 911 and they sent out some marshals but nothing will come of it and now I have to clean up the mess.

I do not understand this mentality of lack of respect for others and the earth. I was so mad that I could hardly function today.

Oh and how can I pin point the time. A neighbor came over to pick up my tractor to take it to get the blades sharpened at 9 and it wasn't there and at 10 I headed out to Wally world and the mess was there.

I'm so sick of Georgia and their attitudes, I wish I could move so anyone wanting 10 acres in Jackson county please pm.
Do you live down an unpaved dirt in the middle of the woods, as what you're describing sounds what is sometimes common alongside dirt roads. That's not to excuse it, only to point out that I don't see any major dumping alongside paved roads.

By the way, I guarantee you that you could find the same type of littering along an out-of-the-way rural stretch of road in Oregon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia