Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 05:21 PM

8 posts, read 35,797 times

Advertisements

Thinking about relocating to Thomaston,GA. Anyone from there that could clue me in on how it is to live there? Good place to raise a family? How is the realestate market? Looked all over the internet no info really. My husband will be transferring to the rock quad graphics plant...anyone work there ?? info on how it is?? He now works in the Saratoga springs,NY plant. Thanks alot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 08:41 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,465,484 times
Hi, I'm feeling sorry for you because no one seems to know about Thomaston. Neither do I.

It looks like it might not be a bad place to live if you can make the adjustment to somewhat rural southern living. Good thing about the location seems to be that it is almost equidistant from Columbus, Macon, and Griffin (greater Atlanta).

So you can expect a bit of culture shock, perhaps. I don't know how self-sufficient you are, or how well you adjust to change. But it probably won't be dangerous, maybe a bit boring. And I'm just guessing based on having lived in Georgia for much of my life.

Have you considered calling their city hall and just talking to someone who works there? You can do that, and no one would think that you were particularly strange. Or if they did, then so what?

Have you checked realtor.com for homes?

Sorry to provide you with such lame advice, but I wanted to tell you that it will probably be just fine.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:48 AM

Smile thanks

I have lookd at houses online..that is reallythe big draw for us to relocate because we can get alot better quality house for the price we can pay. I am going for a visit in a few weeks. thanks

Old 03-12-2007, 07:58 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,465,484 times
Yes, I looked at the home prices there after I wrote to you. It looks like you will be able to find a very nice house for a reasonable amount of money. Not a bad idea.

You may find you like the area too.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:43 AM

1,025 posts, read 4,096,932 times
You won't be too far from Calloway Gardens, either. It's a nice place to spend some weekends.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:36 PM

108 posts, read 693,128 times
I grew up 15 miles from Thomaston and spent many years around Upson County. It’s been a while since I’ve been there but the last time was about 2 years ago.

I would say from my observation that it’s a nice town but somewhat stuck in time. It is an old “Mill town” and still relies on blue collar type jobs. I read recently that they are loosing a major plant, Yamaha pianos, I think around 400 jobs. BTY once my sis worked at Quad Graphics and loved it there.

As far as retail they are limited to Super Wal-Mart and other small discount stores. It’s not a bad drive to Columbus or Macon for a better selection of stores and entertainment.

Look around at other towns before you settle on Thomaston. My home town of Barnesville is a lovely town with a collage atmosphere. Not as big but nice Family town.

For those who are looking for a quieter lifestyle with a slower growth it would be worth the while to checkout Georgia’s piedmont region. Many small towns with loads of charm.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:49 PM

108 posts, read 693,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nousername View Post
My husband will be transferring to the rock quad graphics plant...
FYI…The Rock is a small community between Thomaston and Barnesville. The founder of Chick-fil-a, Truett Cathy, has a camp for foster children there.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:36 PM

Smile thanks.....

thanks for all the info

Old 03-22-2007, 11:55 AM

8 posts, read 45,980 times
Thumbs down Considering moving to Thomaston, GA?

I moved to Thomaston 1 &1/2 years ago. I have been absolutely miserable and cannot wait to move. There is nothing here. I was raised in a fairly small southern town and thought this would be a similar environment. Was I wrong. This has been the longest 1 1/2 years I have ever spent.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:51 PM

75 posts, read 382,266 times
Default hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nousername View Post
Thinking about relocating to Thomaston,GA. Anyone from there that could clue me in on how it is to live there? Good place to raise a family? How is the realestate market? Looked all over the internet no info really. My husband will be transferring to the rock quad graphics plant...anyone work there ?? info on how it is?? He now works in the Saratoga springs,NY plant. Thanks alot
Use to live close to that general area. It is a small town with limited resources. you are about an hour and a half from atlanta.If you do move there make sure you eat at the riverbend restaurant if you like catfish. they do have a walmart and a home depot but are lacking in a lot of other things.They are closing a yamaha piano plant there so they will really be hurting by the end of the year.Land is cheap there and the flint river is a cool place to play if you like outdoors.If you move into the outer areas you can live very cheap. Not sure about schools there now but they were decent 10 years ago. the closest large city is macon but i wouldnt want to live there if i was u. good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia