Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 10:33 AM

3 posts, read 5,997 times

Advertisements

I want to go back to school, but I am unemployed...I got my last check for EUC on Mar. 7!! I have continued to certify each week but my question is how do you sign up for the pell or hope if you want to do a certificate program...for example a paralegal program online. Can you pls advise or if you have any ideas on how to keep my benefits, as well as apply for benefits to go back to school? Thanks

Old 04-29-2009, 11:36 AM

462 posts, read 989,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiahusky95 View Post
I want to go back to school, but I am unemployed...I got my last check for EUC on Mar. 7!! I have continued to certify each week but my question is how do you sign up for the pell or hope if you want to do a certificate program...for example a paralegal program online. Can you pls advise or if you have any ideas on how to keep my benefits, as well as apply for benefits to go back to school? Thanks
When you check out schools, the website will tell you if they are part of the Pell or Hope program
Here is the website to apply for the pell grant:
FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid

You can also apply for a Hope Grant, Georgia Tuition Equalization Grant, and Hope Scholarship. Here is the link for that:
GAcollege411 - Georgia's HOPE Grant Program
You will need to go into a DOL career center to find out what programs you can register for that will allow you to return to school and collect UI. I don't know what criteria they use.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:11 PM

151 posts, read 317,683 times
Georgia Eligible Provider List
This link above will get you started on finding a college in your area that is acceptable for the WIA (Workforce Investment Act) programs, as well as give you a list of programs of study that are acceptable to be registered as a trainee through GA DOL.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS200 View Post
For those of you who had a benefit year that expired and had to qualify for a second benefit year, I found something in HB 581 that makes me believe that some of us may not qualify for EB.
"(b) Applicability of provisions as to regular benefits to claims for and payment of extended benefits. To establish entitlement to extended benefits, an individual must have been paid in at least two quarters of the base period and total wages in the base period must equal or exceed 150 percent of the highest quarter base period wages." My original claim was filed in Sept of 07, my benefit year expired and I filed a new claim for EUC. My new benefit year has only 1 quarter of base period wages on it. I suggest that if you are in your second benefit year, you check your paperwork to see how many quarters of base wages you have.
As with any legal garb, I hope this one is just trying to keep us confused! I re-read this section you are referring to and then read the next paragraph:
(c) Eligibility requirements for extended benefits. An individual shall be eligible to receive extended benefits with respect to any week of unemployment in the eligibility period of the individual only if the Commissioner finds that with respect to such week:
(1) He or she is an 'exhaustee' as defined in paragraph (2) of subsection (a) of this Code section; and
(2) He or she has satisfied the requirements of this chapter for the receipt of regular benefits that are applicable to individuals claiming extended benefits,

and then looked at the definition in Para (2) of subsection (a) and found this: (so I'm thinking there is no wage requirement for EB)????
May be wishful thinking and reading into it what I want it to say. I wish they would speak main street English!

(2) 'Exhaustee' means an individual who, with respect to any week of unemployment in his or her eligibility periodB) His or her benefit year having expired prior to such week, has no or insufficient wages on the basis of which he or she could establish a new benefit year that would include such week;

Old 04-29-2009, 12:57 PM

I agree, why can't they just give us some concrete information in terms that we can understand. Everytime I read this bill I find contradictions that confuse me even more. I hate this wait and see game.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I agree, why can't they just give us some concrete information in terms that we can understand. Everytime I read this bill I find contradictions that confuse me even more. I hate this wait and see game.
Did you see this article by NELP?

Unemployed Workers Home

The third topic/paragraph says:
The Recovery Act recently made these benefits completely federally funded for 2009 (usually, the cost is split 50-50 between states and the federal government), and changed EB eligibility rules so that states can now pay EB benefits to workers who don't find jobs before the end of their EUC benefits.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:57 PM

75 posts, read 209,924 times
You know I've always been told " TO STAY OUT OF MY HEAD' meaning that if you think too much about a thing the more confusing it seem to be. We should always think positive about the worst situation. Sometimes we can be our own worst enemy, none of us will know what to expect until the Commissioner put things in Black and White, in other word its a wait and see game. Try not to get your self all worked up about something you have no controll of. I do pray for the best to happen for all of us, because we're all in this togather. KEEP THE FAITH!!!

Old 04-29-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE WIZ View Post
You know I've always been told " TO STAY OUT OF MY HEAD' meaning that if you think too much about a thing the more confusing it seem to be. We should always think positive about the worst situation. Sometimes we can be our own worst enemy, none of us will know what to expect until the Commissioner put things in Black and White, in other word its a wait and see game. Try not to get your self all worked up about something you have no controll of. I do pray for the best to happen for all of us, because we're all in this togather. KEEP THE FAITH!!!
It is so ironic that you should say that (stay out of my head). That statement has always been my mantra. I have told it to my children their entire lives. I guess it is time for me to take my own advice. Thank you for reminding me.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:59 PM

3 posts, read 5,997 times
thank you guys...you are such a big help...and I am always on here looking for updates...God bless us all, and like previous posters let's just keep the faith...It will all work out for all of us!

Old 04-29-2009, 03:36 PM

3 posts, read 5,764 times
Quote:
This thread is about the Federal Extended benefits for unemployment for the state of Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia