Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 07:10 PM

4 posts, read 11,181 times

Advertisements

Hello! Another S. Floridian moving to Georgia and looking for information. My husband and I are really considering near Athens, but are unsure of where to start our search. We are looking for acreage outside of Athens and would like to have at least 5, up to 30 acres on which to build a home. Can anyone tell me the ups and downs of Athens, the job market there, etc. Also, any ideas on where to look at land? We have college aged kids in school in FL now that may come with us and an 8 year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 02:20 PM

122 posts, read 479,777 times
Hi,
I'm considering the Athen's area for relocation as well.
However, I don't need a lot of land.
Please keep in touch.

K

Old 05-04-2007, 05:18 AM

43 posts, read 198,209 times
dont know much about athens but Augusta job market is healthy. Most urban area outside of Atlanta

Old 05-07-2007, 07:48 AM

4 posts, read 11,181 times
Can you tell me about Augusta? What is the social, racial and financial makeup like there? My inlaws just bought 6 acres about 30 minutes out of Augusta, but they are retired, so have very different needs than us.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:04 AM

141 posts, read 981,673 times
Athens has a fairly healthy economy, but the major employer is the University, and their wages (in all but faculty positions) are pretty low.

Lots of people on the west side and in Oconee County travel into ATL for work. Some just to Gwinnett, some all the way downtown. If you don't need land, the areas of Athens close-in are very nice, but pricey. East Athens is cheaper, but the schools are seen as inferior to Oconee. Watkinsville is a good choice if you are worried about schools, and there are plenty of stores/shopping out that way.

If you are looking for reasonably priced land, then you really need to look at Madison and Oglethorpe counties. They have the best deals right now, especially Oglethorpe. But you will have to deal with a complete and utter lack of services; there is no city water or sewer outside of the towns, no DSL, no grocery stores either, for the most part. You will be drilling a well if you want water, and you really want to make sure that the area you buy in has good ground water. Maxeys was notorious for having radioactive wells, that's why they have their own city water system now.

I swear I am not kidding: the whole of Oglethorpe has one Bell's Grocery, in between Lexington and Crawford. I don't think that Madison has one at all unless you count the new Bi-Lo on US29. And I think that one is technically in Clarke County.

If you can get a job, Athens is a nice area. Very small-town, and the University adds a level of culture not usually found in such small places. I liked it about 150% more than Augusta.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:03 AM

3 posts, read 14,198 times
Default I agree with previous post

You are probably going to have to look in the surrounding counties (you can get the benefit of lower property taxes). Danielsville is pretty good and it's not so inconvienient. It's close to Athens as well as Commerce. I have lived up in Royston before and it's even farther and was never a problem to get to Athens. If you can get past driving around the college drivers (remember they've had their licences for all of three years or so and it shows!) then you'll like Athens.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:33 PM

28 posts, read 173,517 times
alot of free land for pastures and such near Watkinsville which is south of Athens. Its a nice little town too.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:34 PM

28 posts, read 173,517 times
by free land didnt mean free but just alot of space!

Old 05-15-2007, 08:47 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,096,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLian1 View Post
by free land didnt mean free but just alot of space!
Thanks for clarifying. I could hear the stampede already.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:52 PM

7 posts, read 38,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loretta33 View Post
Hello! Another S. Floridian moving to Georgia and looking for information. My husband and I are really considering near Athens, but are unsure of where to start our search. We are looking for acreage outside of Athens and would like to have at least 5, up to 30 acres on which to build a home. Can anyone tell me the ups and downs of Athens, the job market there, etc. Also, any ideas on where to look at land? We have college aged kids in school in FL now that may come with us and an 8 year old.
Loretta, are you still looking?
If so, I have lots of information on land tracts when we searching for a horse farm in Athens.

Let me know and I'll be happy to respond with details.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia