Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2007, 02:05 PM

434 posts, read 1,737,047 times

Advertisements

My parents want to move closer to me and I am trying to decide which area would be better. I live in Canton, north of Atlanta, but they don't want to live too close to a city this big. They are 70 and 73 years old so they need to be near a town large enough to have good medical facilities and would like to be on or near a lake and other retired people. Does anyone have any advice as to which area is better? Taxes? Activities? Safety? Cost of living? Any small town or suburb suggestions near these areas?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 04:46 PM

16 posts, read 62,261 times
Default Chat

Can't help you much but Chatanooga is beautiful!

Old 06-07-2007, 07:12 PM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Maybe Pell City, between Birmingham and Atlanta. B'ham has major medical facilities, and the drive to Atlanta isn't bad. There is a lake nearby.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:40 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
I'd pick Chattanooga. The Birmingham area is just some kind of super magnet for every storm and tornado outbreak that hits that whole area. I've known people who have moved there and hate the weather so bad a couple of them moved back. During the Spring it's just one continuous thunderstorm.

Athens - great if you're college age but I don't see it as a "retirement" type of city.

Chattanooga is just the right size - has the aquarium and other attractions but isn't bursting at the seams either.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:29 PM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
I really try to like Chattanooga, but the enclosing mountains, rush rush traffic, and seedy side of the south end just turn me off. When driving through, I always breathe a sigh of relief when I get to Rising Fawn, south of the city.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:09 AM

74 posts, read 185,653 times
I am familiar with all three cities. I have visited Chattanooga several times, I go to Athens on a regular basis and plan to move there next year, and I lived in B'ham for a year. For a retirement age couple I would pick Athens. It is the smallest and less hectic of the three choices, the University is great for older people because of continuing education opportunities and cultural events, and it has a small walkable downtown with cute shops and restaurants. Plus it is a shorter less stressful drive to the Atlanta area. I would think B'ham and Chattanooga are a little too big and hectic for older people. B'ham also has very bad air pollution and traffic.

As far as health care - if they were in Athens they could always go to the great facilities in Gwinnett County if they needed more high tech. services., but there are two good hospitals in Athens. B'ham is the best for healthcare of the three choices. They have the University of Alabama hospitals which are excellent.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-13-2007, 10:01 AM

7 posts, read 38,012 times
Of the three and if they do not have any major medical conditions, I'd recommend Athens. They're is a great community to which many people are retiring on Lake Oconee - Reynolds Plantation. Pricey, though! It is about a 40 minute commute to downtown Athens. About 30 minutes to Gwinett county/East Atlanta. There are also several sidewalk community developments that may be of interest to your parents. These include Oak Grove (just north of Athens), Cottages as Creekside (Oconee County) and The Georgia Club (located in both Barrow and Oconee Counties).

Old 06-13-2007, 10:24 AM

348 posts, read 1,021,450 times
I love Chatanooga but I recently read that they are having a huge problem with illegals/gangs.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:56 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
Why not post this question in the Tennessee and Alabama forums, too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia