Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2007, 07:52 AM

8 posts, read 39,859 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about HOA's and their restrictions. I have been looking in the Villa Rica/Douglasville area and have found a few subdivisions I am interested in, however I am just finding out about all the restrictions associated with them(not coomon in the North)

I am concerned because my elderly father will be moving with us and has approximately 300 Bonsai trees with he displays in our backyard in a Japanese garden setting. From what I am now hearing I assume the chance of any subdivision is out for us. Am I coorect?

My next question is when searching on the internet for homes how do I know what is or isn't a subdivision? Also how do you find out what the HOA's rules are before you buy.

My husband and I are coming down in a couple weeks and don't want to waste our time looking at places we could never live.Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 08:21 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
Most older subdivisions don't have restricted convenants and strict homeowner associations. I am certain a realtor can help you narrow your search.

I know that in Dunwoody, most subdivisions are at least 30 years old, and the rules long ago expired.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:07 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Most subdivisions being built today have restrictions, and they're meant to keep the overall appearance of the neighborhood at a defined level. While they do require approval of any exterior modifications (including stuff in rear yards), you'll probably be OK, since the garden would be screened from the view of the street, and even those who could see it (say 2nd story neighbors) likely wouldn't object to a bonsai garden. If you were building a sculpture garden of used car parts, you'd have a harder time getting approved.

If you want to go where there are no restrictions, you'll have to head into older parts of town, or out to more rural areas. Just bear in mind that while you'll be free to do whatever you want, so will your neighbors- so don't be surprised when Bubba parks his 35' RV on his front lawn and proceeds to tear down the engine and transmission.

Bob

Old 04-17-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
I know that in Dunwoody, most subdivisions are at least 30 years old, and the rules long ago expired.
Don't be so sure that the rules "expired"- the HOA may have become less prominent, but those CC&R's typically transfer with the land. If a homeowners group wanted to get active in enforcing them again to clean up a neighborhood, they'd be fully within their rights to do so.

Bob

Old 04-17-2007, 09:17 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
Bob

This may be how they are written today, but one neighborhood even hired an attorney to see what they could do and the only way to put the rules back in effect was to get a majority vote of the homeowners...

Old 04-17-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Bob

This may be how they are written today, but one neighborhood even hired an attorney to see what they could do and the only way to put the rules back in effect was to get a majority vote of the homeowners...
That's too bad, because honestly, the regs do far more good than harm IMO. When I was living in Las Vegas, we were in a newly developed area that abutted some older areas that were built without CC&Rs, and you could tell immediately where those areas started- unkept lawns, RV's parked next to homes, half-azzed patio covers tacked onto homes, etc. I'm not saying that the homes should all be identical and sterile, but when you pay good $$ for a home, it's nice to know that your neighbors won't be using tin foil for window shades......lol.

I sometimes wish they had some regs where I currently live- it would take care of a few of the derelict properties in the neighborhood.........

Old 04-17-2007, 11:56 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,445 times
The problem as I see it is as with many things... A matter of balance. Certainly as BK is saying you don't want to buy/build a home only to have the new folks next door turn out to be "hillbillys" with 2 junk cars on the front lawn and running a used car parts business out of their garage. On the other hand I personally know of a case where a female friend of mine was prevented from setting out two small planters (18 x 5 inch) during spring with blooming daffodils in them on either side of her townhouse entrance way. And the tinfoil joke is not that far off the mark. I know of another very extreme case wear the homeowner was brought up on HOA charges because the living room draps were done in a fabric that was "too loud" !

I don't know the solution to the hillbilly problem and yet avoid the old pain in the butt nosey neighbor at the same time. I guess given a good group of people a HOA can be a good thing. For me I'd want NO parts of one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia