Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 02:10 PM

43 posts, read 115,639 times

Advertisements

My son may have an opportunity to attend Georgia Military College next fall for football and education. Do all students have to be part of the ROTC? This is not something he is not really interested in, and that may be a deciding factor whether he attends this college or not. Also, I hear this is a safe town and good for college students---is this true? Any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 10:12 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,404,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyfrmkids View Post
My son may have an opportunity to attend Georgia Military College next fall for football and education. Do all students have to be part of the ROTC? This is not something he is not really interested in, and that may be a deciding factor whether he attends this college or not. Also, I hear this is a safe town and good for college students---is this true? Any help is appreciated!
Is this the college you are talking about?
If so, it is a public college with a long history.
The ROTC is for select students. Also, GMC is a 2 year college.

Georgia Military College

Old 11-22-2009, 03:13 PM

Yes, that is the college I am talking about. Our coach has been in talks with their school about possibly signing on some of our football team's players---one of which is my son. He has never done ROTC at our high school and from what I have read, in order to stay on campus, you have to be in the ROTC and they do not have any off-campus housing. It is a 2-yr liberal arts college with a football team with a good track record and has sent many students on to the NFL. The expense to attend this school per year for a cadet is over $20,000 for tuition, room, board, etc. My son can attend our local 2 yr college for $5,000 or less a year and we live 10 minutes from the college and he can continue his afterschool job--these are our big issues, especially if he can not get a full or almost full scholarship to this college. Thanks for any help!

Old 11-22-2009, 10:05 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,241,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyfrmkids View Post
. . . . Our coach has been in talks with their school about possibly signing on some of our football team's players---one of which is my son. . . . . . .It is a 2-yr liberal arts college with a football team with a good track record and has sent many students on to the NFL. . . . .

#1; if your son is actually being recruited, then his contact at the school should be able to answer these questions.

#2; a junior-college is not a pit-stop on the way to the NFL. the chances of anyone even making it to that level are very minute, so I would be more concerned with the quality of education and make sure they offer something your son is interested in; because to even think about going to the NFL from a JUCO, your son will need the grades to move on to a 4-year institution first. Most of the players who do transfer out to play football elsewhere are at a juco because they didn't have the grades to get into the university that was recruiting them to begin with; so they spend a year or two at the juco working on their grades and re-taking the SAT to meet eligibility requirements .

not trying to put a damper on the mood, just offering advice.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:58 AM

Thanks----my son is really more interested in getting his education. He wants to work in some dimension as a police officer, detective, forensics--that sort of thing. I don't think he has any plans for being in the NFL--but hey, if it happens, that would be wonderful! His coach hasn't really given my son or the other kids much info about this college except for the fact that he has "connections" with the coach and is sending their highlight film to the GMC coach after they had talked recently. Right now everything is still up in the air. If it progresses further, I will make calls to the college. Thanks!

Old 11-27-2009, 12:56 PM

After talking with the coach, my son said the coach said he doesn't have to be in the ROTC, which is conflicting with what we read on their website. My son does have the grades to get into a University, but it's the high school track he is on that only allows him to start at a 2-yr junior college. Because he didn't take algebra in 8th grade in middle school, he was put on the career prep track, which doesn't allow those students to attend a 4-yr college/university after high school because they won't have a math higher than algebra II when they graduate. It's a strange system that I think they are re-working and it's sad because my son has always maintained a 3.0 GPA and all he can do is attend a junior college--which there is nothing wrong with that, but it restricts him from being recruited by 4-yr colleges.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:24 AM

80 posts, read 351,814 times
crzy, that doesn't make sense about the career track. Are you saying the school wouldn't ALLOW him to take more advanced courses? I wasn't college prep (granted, it was 100 years ago, lol) but I could take the college prep courses, and did.

I think somebody is pulling your leg that he isn't 'allowed' into a four-year school. The college will allow him to make up his college prep deficiencies--have you talked with any of the colleges he's interested in attending? Applied? (lol...gave it the College Try?)

Old 11-28-2009, 05:48 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,241,620 times
most colleges require a foreign language to be accepted; usually the non-college prep tracks do not include a foreign language; that may be the situation here.

however this doesn't prevent being recruited by a 4-year university. they would advise a juco for your son to go to, and then after taking the needed courses for entry, would give the scholarship to transfer.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:27 AM

In our state, they have to be on the college prep track to be admitted to a 4 yr college. Unbelievable, but true. My oldest son passed the test to be admitted into 8th grade Algebra in middle school, which put him on the college prep track---that was the first year they started with this whole career track and what colleges you could attend when you graduate. It has to do mostly with the math---you have to take a math higher than Algebra II to attend a 4-yr college. My oldest had adv geometry, Algebra II, Advanced Math and calculus and was able to start college at a 4-yr university and is still there. My 2nd son didn't pass the test to get into algebra in 8th grade and that put him on a different track which is already laid out for you when you start high school. His track doesn't include any math higher than algebra II. His high school just recently had college day where they could apply for colleges and his guidance counselor told him (which we already have known since his freshman year) he could only apply for 2 yr colleges because of his math level. He has taken 3 years of Spanish, so that won't be a problem, but it's the state of NC's requirements that won't allow him to apply for anything but a 2-yr college. It is really frustrating for him and us because he may have been recruited by a 4-yr college for football. I don't care if he goes on to play football---I'd rather he get an education, but if he can get a scholarship to play football and get an education, then more power to him. Once you are on a set path in high school---career prep, college prep, career tech, etc, you stay on that path and can not get off. If you start with the advance courses, you keep taking them, if you start with the basic course--you keep taking them. My son can start at junior college and then transfer, but it's where he has to start that's frustrating. Not that there is anything wrong with starting out at a junior college---I attend one, but it's frustrating when the school system dictates to you where you can go. A lot of my son's friends on the football team are committing to 4-yr colleges and he wants to go to one as well. I am fine with him starting at a junior college as long as he is getting the education he needs to have a great future, but I do want him to be happy where he is attending.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:36 PM

80 posts, read 351,814 times
wow, that's so crazy. A kid's college options are limited by a single test when they're, what, twelve? Nuts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia