Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 05:59 PM

12 posts, read 60,834 times

Advertisements

Hello, my fiance and I are in the process of growing our savings account, in hopes to be in northern Georgia by the end of 2014. I'll try to keep it simple in asking what I need to know.
I am a bank teller, currently working for Bank of The Ozarks. My fiance is a very talented welder in all fields. What we are in search for is something in northern Georgia. We are looking to rent:
- Hopefully nothing more than $1000.00 a month.
- With a little bit of land (2+ acres)
- Peace and privacy but not too far from civilization. (10-20 min drive to gas stations shopping etc)
- Perferably in the most scenic hill/mountain county we can get
- Close to hiking/trail areas.
- A place that accepts four wheelers, big trucks, and such toys.

Any sugesstions on a place my fiance and I could start our new lives? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 06:05 PM

commute=up to 45 min

Old 04-14-2013, 06:23 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Are you looking for something different then you were looking for few months ago?

Old 04-14-2013, 07:10 PM

I guess a bit different. Looking for a few more responses really

Old 04-14-2013, 10:02 PM

5 posts, read 8,007 times
Any of the exurban counties North/Northeast/Northwest of Atlanta are scenic, in the foothills or actual GA. Mtns. and fit your bill. BTW Those of us who disdain all things nawthun, prefer "Upper Gawga".

The outlying counties are, from west to east: Paulding, Bartow, Cherokee, Pickens, Forsyth, Dawson, Lumpkin, Hall and White. Out here stick built as well as manufactured housing on small acreage in your $$ range is available. No shortage. Check the internet in these areas.

The banking business includes: Regionsbank, Bank of North Ga., United Community Bank, Bank of the Ozarks among others. While I know guys who do welding, I can't really say much about job availability. Can't imagine that your fiance couldn't land something though.

All these areas either have or are close to WMA's. National Forests, Lakes, Rivers, Trout Streams, Forest roads, Hiking trails, etc. Plenty of outdoor activity. Hiking, Mtn. biking, Hunting/Fishing, Four wheeling, Rock climbing, whitewater rafting/kayaking/canoeing, Etc.

Every county has a couple of towns with their own unique personality, and plenty of development (retail/grocery shopping, dining, medical/hospital, gas within 15-20 minutes drive and access to major highways/interstates for between 45 and 90 minutes to metro Atlanta.

Big trucks w/BIGGER tires, ATV, boat, motorcycle, jet ski and horses are ubiquitous. You'll fit right in.

So if you don't mind clannish but honest Christian hill folk, snuff/long cut, banjo music, Long hair and longer beards, Regular Public displays of Confederate emblems, Large caliber firearms, oh and moonshine, Y'uns come on, you'll like it. BUT, if any of that gives you pause, think twice.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:53 AM

That was possibly the most perfect answer i could have asked for.Thank you soo much OOgity Its exactly what we are looking for, and I cant count the days fast enough to get up there in "upper gawga" haha ! I'm happy in Fl, but its just TOO crowded, and too flat for my taste. Let the savings and searching begin! Thank you so much

Old 04-16-2013, 05:32 AM

575 posts, read 1,198,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOgity View Post
Any of the exurban counties North/Northeast/Northwest of Atlanta are scenic, in the foothills or actual GA. Mtns. and fit your bill. BTW Those of us who disdain all things nawthun, prefer "Upper Gawga".

The outlying counties are, from west to east: Paulding, Bartow, Cherokee, Pickens, Forsyth, Dawson, Lumpkin, Hall and White. Out here stick built as well as manufactured housing on small acreage in your $$ range is available. No shortage. Check the internet in these areas.

The banking business includes: Regionsbank, Bank of North Ga., United Community Bank, Bank of the Ozarks among others. While I know guys who do welding, I can't really say much about job availability. Can't imagine that your fiance couldn't land something though.

All these areas either have or are close to WMA's. National Forests, Lakes, Rivers, Trout Streams, Forest roads, Hiking trails, etc. Plenty of outdoor activity. Hiking, Mtn. biking, Hunting/Fishing, Four wheeling, Rock climbing, whitewater rafting/kayaking/canoeing, Etc.

Every county has a couple of towns with their own unique personality, and plenty of development (retail/grocery shopping, dining, medical/hospital, gas within 15-20 minutes drive and access to major highways/interstates for between 45 and 90 minutes to metro Atlanta.

Big trucks w/BIGGER tires, ATV, boat, motorcycle, jet ski and horses are ubiquitous. You'll fit right in.

So if you don't mind clannish but honest Christian hill folk, snuff/long cut, banjo music, Long hair and longer beards, Regular Public displays of Confederate emblems, Large caliber firearms, oh and moonshine, Y'uns come on, you'll like it. BUT, if any of that gives you pause, think twice.
Not only do I like it, but I love it. And by the way...you left out the best places. Thanks, we're trying to keep our secret.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:36 AM

575 posts, read 1,198,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoom View Post
That was possibly the most perfect answer i could have asked for.Thank you soo much OOgity Its exactly what we are looking for, and I cant count the days fast enough to get up there in "upper gawga" haha ! I'm happy in Fl, but its just TOO crowded, and too flat for my taste. Let the savings and searching begin! Thank you so much

PLEASE!! When you do come, don't try to change our little places to look like the place you left in Florida. That's one thing that gives us a bad taste about Floridians. Most of us don't want the fancy restaurants and amusements you left in Florida. Not trying to be negative, just telling you how the majority feel (that is...north of the places OOgity listed).

Old 04-16-2013, 02:44 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoDan View Post
PLEASE!! When you do come, don't try to change our little places to look like the place you left in Florida. That's one thing that gives us a bad taste about Floridians. Most of us don't want the fancy restaurants and amusements you left in Florida. Not trying to be negative, just telling you how the majority feel (that is...north of the places OOgity listed).

Rep'd!

Old 10-06-2013, 10:25 AM

5 posts, read 8,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoDan View Post
Not only do I like it, but I love it. And by the way...you left out the best places. Thanks, we're trying to keep our secret.
Yep, like to get good folks started......but always best to keep a few secrets in a public forum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia