Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 09:20 AM

13 posts, read 34,848 times

Advertisements

Good morning,

We are seriously considering a move to GR, but I am concerned about jobs. My fiance and I both have experience in our fields (good work ethic and we are not rude or mean people.) To be honest, we made a mistake moving from Detroit Metro to the Pacific NW. We just do not fit in here at all, the lifestyle and culture here is just not for us in the Pacific NW. We would be taking a big chance to move to GR, but this is not working where we are now, frankly we are not happy at all.

I am mostly concerned about finding a job, everything else looks great in the general GR area and a much better fit for us.

Any advice or thoughts on how long it takes to find a job in the area? I am looking for something in the area of an Executive Assistant or experienced Administrative role and my fiance is a very experienced and well rounded Quality Inspector/QC. Thank you in advance everyone, I wasn't sure where else to post such a question..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 06:13 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving_2012 View Post
Good morning,

We are seriously considering a move to GR, but I am concerned about jobs. My fiance and I both have experience in our fields (good work ethic and we are not rude or mean people.) To be honest, we made a mistake moving from Detroit Metro to the Pacific NW. We just do not fit in here at all, the lifestyle and culture here is just not for us in the Pacific NW. We would be taking a big chance to move to GR, but this is not working where we are now, frankly we are not happy at all.

I am mostly concerned about finding a job, everything else looks great in the general GR area and a much better fit for us.

Any advice or thoughts on how long it takes to find a job in the area? I am looking for something in the area of an Executive Assistant or experienced Administrative role and my fiance is a very experienced and well rounded Quality Inspector/QC. Thank you in advance everyone, I wasn't sure where else to post such a question..
Those are pretty specific fields. Have you tried searching jobs sites or LinkedIn to see what kind of results you get? The manufacturers are coming back a bit so they might be hiring QC people. Healthcare locally is never done hiring, ever.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:11 PM

235 posts, read 536,455 times
I used indeed.com when I was looking for jobs--I think it searches other sites for you. I also was looking for an experienced admin role and I think I started looking in July and got offered my job in August...but I would never recommend moving to a place without lining up a job first. As a matter of fact, for my job I had to go to request some information from the local unemployment office and it was packed and I mean packed in there. Real wake up call.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:37 PM

13 posts, read 34,848 times
Thank you for your replies. Congratulations on the job notdeconcentrate. A month to find a job is not too bad, but bad enough while you are looking, isn't it? It took me over 4 months to find a job here in the Pacific NW, I am still with the same employer, but let's just say I have been actively trying to find something different for the past 2 years, no interviews. Maybe it worked out for the best as we are thinking of moving back to MI. At any rate, thank you very much for the advice everyone, it's appreciated.

Last edited by Moving_2012; 09-29-2012 at 05:45 PM..

Old 10-01-2012, 05:55 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,223,019 times
You may wish to look at the Michigan Talent Bank also.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:40 PM

51 posts, read 87,121 times
I'll echo the indeed.com website (and smartphone app) for a job search. Healthcare (and all its related industries and needs) is huge here, so keep that in mind with your search. My husband and I had been planning on moving to the GR area for a while. It took me almost six months to land a job here. Everything came together in a two day period in August as I found a job and a house in a great neighborhood. Be persistent and follow up on every lead. It's worth the effort and the wait. Good luck to you!

Old 10-10-2012, 08:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,952 times
The unemployment rate in the Grand Rapids area for August 2012 was 6.9% (couldn't find sept numbers, locals may not be released yet.) A number significantly lower than the National/Midwestern/State averages for the same time. Also Lower than the Pac NW. There are tons of jobs posted everyday on Careerbuilder, Craigslist, Snagajob, and many other sites. Pretty much in this area if you want a job you'll find one. If you have certifications or an education you'll find one even more quickly. As with anything job hunting may require you to think outside the box and sometimes accept a non-traditional position, but that's uncommon. One of the biggest myths about Grand Rapids economy is that it's bad, since 2010 it has outpaced the national economy, and for the last two decades has handily outpaced Michigan as a whole. The transition from a manufacturing based economy to a knowledge/services economy is evident.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:14 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy1980 View Post
The unemployment rate in the Grand Rapids area for August 2012 was 6.9% (couldn't find sept numbers, locals may not be released yet.) A number significantly lower than the National/Midwestern/State averages for the same time. Also Lower than the Pac NW. There are tons of jobs posted everyday on Careerbuilder, Craigslist, Snagajob, and many other sites. Pretty much in this area if you want a job you'll find one. If you have certifications or an education you'll find one even more quickly. As with anything job hunting may require you to think outside the box and sometimes accept a non-traditional position, but that's uncommon. One of the biggest myths about Grand Rapids economy is that it's bad, since 2010 it has outpaced the national economy, and for the last two decades has handily outpaced Michigan as a whole. The transition from a manufacturing based economy to a knowledge/services economy is evident.
I think I might want to look for jobs in the Grand Rapids area. The unemployment rate in the Atlanta area is higher than in Grand Rapids. I wonder if there is anything for someone like me, with GIS skills, and a college degree in Geography?

Old 10-16-2012, 05:55 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I think I might want to look for jobs in the Grand Rapids area. The unemployment rate in the Atlanta area is higher than in Grand Rapids. I wonder if there is anything for someone like me, with GIS skills, and a college degree in Geography?
Maybe you can help the Grand Valley Metro Council with their Regis website. It's constantly not working right.

"gvmc-regis.org "

Old 10-18-2012, 05:18 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Maybe you can help the Grand Valley Metro Council with their Regis website. It's constantly not working right.

"gvmc-regis.org "
Thank you. I will look into it. I'm going to give the department a call tomorrow morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area