Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 11:36 AM

6 posts, read 52,582 times

Advertisements

We are considering a job in Grand Rapids. We would like to live in a small town with its own town center and keep the commute to under 1/2 hour. We are empty nesters with thwo large dogs that would like rural wooded setting on a large lot (1/2 acre or more). We'd like to be able to get a house with 3 bedrooms and baths for between 300-400k. What towns should we check out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 12:19 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
In that price range, you should definitely have your pick of some nice homes on some nice wooded and rural 1/2 acre lots. Try:

Rockford, Byron Center, Ada, Coopersville, Lowell and/or Greenville. They all have historic downtowns that are still active, and are within 20 - 30 minutes of GR. I was in Lowell the other day for the first time in a couple of years, and I was shocked by all the new pubs, restaurants, coffee shops and stores. Downtown Rockford has also taken off recently with the addition of a big new development called the Promenade that is downtown and right on the Rogue River. Very nice!

Any other questions, fire away.

Welcome and good luck!

Old 10-23-2007, 12:22 PM

thank you I'll check them out.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:54 PM

Actuall south or southwest of Grand Rapids would be best for us- suggestions?

Old 10-23-2007, 01:16 PM

845 posts, read 3,270,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twaigand View Post
Allegan?
Wayland?
Plainwell? (getting close to 35-40 minutes away)

Old 10-23-2007, 01:16 PM

65 posts, read 233,782 times
Quote:
Hudsonville, Jenison, Grandville, Allendale, Georgetown Township, or Zeeland would fit you nicely with that price range. All have downtowns, but everyone's opinion of what a downtown is varies, so take that in consideration to your selection.

All of these area's are very conservative as is most of West Michigan. If you like the "quaint and picturesque" downtown's, you can still live in any of those city's or townships I mentioned above and drive another 15 minuets or so to Holland and Saugatuck. These are downtowns that are large with unique shops and restaurants. Saugatuck is a city that is highly regarded as "the second gay city" behind San Francisco. But once the fall and winter sets in they all leave and it is only populated by the locals.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:36 PM

I love Holland and Saugutuck; especially Holland. I have gone there on day trips from New Buffalo where we currently live. Its about as close to Indiana on the lake as you can get.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 54,369 times
Smile area towns to look into

You may like Coopersville or Jenison or Allendale or Lowell, all are close but not too close to Grand Rapids! Good luck hunting!

Old 10-25-2007, 08:26 AM

51 posts, read 212,865 times
Quote:
I love Holland and Saugutuck; especially Holland. I have gone there on day trips from New Buffalo where we currently live. Its about as close to Indiana on the lake as you can get.
Well, why not move to Holland? That's what we're doing (we live in Iowa right now, I'm originally from Chicago), we found a great, affordable house within walking distance of the big lake. Saugatuck is pretty pricey, imo, but only a 10 minute drive from Holland.

We actually wanted to move to New Buffalo but anything close enough to the lake was way, way too expensive for us and in the end, we decided the whole town was really just too overpriced. We explored Traverse City and down the coast, including Frankfort and Ludington. Holland is affordable and has a lot more to offer, imo, than any of the places we've researched and visited.

Holland is a great city with a wonderful downtown, some nice restaurants, great shopping, and a lot of water access and outdoor opportunities. I can't wait to move!

Go to realtor.com and punch in your price range and check it out. I have to say that I had better search results with more information using Yahoo real estate, information like the date the property was listed is available there, which is pretty helpful when determining value. You have to register and it's affiliated with Prudential but the service is great. We really lucked out when a new listing was sent to us the night before our last trip - it turned out to be the perfect house and we bought it.

I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 11,368 times
Default I vote for Wayland!!!

You might also consider the City of Wayland, which is approximately 22 miles south of downtown GR, off US131. Closer to GR area than Holland. Not quite as large as Lowell or Rockford, but the downtown area is safe, walkable, and the area is growing. It is a very friendly place to live.

Wayland is located halfway between Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo and only 42 miles from Lake Michgan. Also it is only 12 miles to great medical facilities like the new Metro Hospital and St. Mary's and Spectrum's SW campuses off M-6.

If you like being by the water, you will love it here. There are lots of small lakes near town for boating, swimming, fishing, etc., and well known GUN LAKE (largest MI inland lake with over 2600 acres). Also nearby Yankee Springs Recreation Area offers four seasons of outdoor fun. The local terrain is gently rolling and more rural feeling than Holland. And fantastic shopping is just a short drive to Rivertown Crossing Mall or 35 minutes to the Kalamazoo Cross Town Mall area. Plus you can find great entertainment and educational pursuits less than 3o miles north or south via US131, and under 45 miles towards the lakeshore to the west. Lansing is approximately 1.5 hrs away to the east.

Visit the Wayland Chamber site at: Wayland Area Chamber of Commerce. Or contact me and I can give you more info on great deals in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area