Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 11:17 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I don't think I've ever seen you mention when you left exactly. I do know that the SE side is in transition and that there are pockets of good and bad. From Alger Heights the most direct route downtown would be the number 4 bus down eastern. From Burton to Franklin the number 4 will take you through some of the most shady parts of the city. However from Franklin to downtown you transition in to the most gentrified part so it's a mixed bag.

Depending on where in Alger Heights the OP lives they could arguably take the number 1 bus down division. This route goes through what was the part of the city that represented the decline of the 70's-90's. When people think of Grand Rapids "ghetto" this is usually the corridor that comes to mind, in truth it's really a few blocks further east these days. However when I've been on this bus I've never felt unsafe. From Burton- Wealthy there's not many people getting on and off the bus. Discretion is always the best way to go. I believe if the OP gets to know the city and understand the nuances they will be fine. I also agree about avoiding those buses during that time school gets out as it does tend to be more intense with the youth.

From 9am until about 2:30 you're likely to have quiet bus rides with no one wanting to bother you. In the summer that time frame expands with the kids not in school, and not traveling "in packs" if you will.
It amazes me when people talk about things that they really have not lived and experienced. I am not basing my opinion on things I read about...it's about what I have seen and witnessed....and people generally have not "gotten better" and much of the area you talk about has not been gentrified. I will tell you honestly.....my experience I feel fortunate that I did not end up shooting someone myself. Many of you all do not have a CLUE what life is actually like in some of these communities.....even if you lived in one....because unless you are in the streets.....you do not have a clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 09:29 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
The OP is probably second guessing ever starting this thread. :P

Old 05-10-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
The OP is probably second guessing ever starting this thread. :P
Why? There is no right or wrong answer. Anytime you travel in an area of higher crime....you increase your risk of being a victim of some of that crime. It would be irresponsible to say otherwise.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoob4751 View Post
Hey everyone, we recently moved to Algier Heights from Chicago. I love getting out and about during the day with my 7 month old and enjoy public transit over driving. What you you all think of taking the bus from Algier Heights to downtown during the day? I know there is some rough stuff on the way there, but how unsafe during the day? If you all can recommend any nice bus trips from Algier Heights I can take with baby to good shopping and walking areas, that would be great!
One good thing about Alger Heights is that you live near 5 bus lines, Burton Crosstown, 28th st crosstown, Silver Line, South Division, and the Kalamazoo line.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:31 PM

12 posts, read 10,261 times
Thanks everyone for replying...It has been interesting to follow! It's interesting because while I was a public transit fanatic in Chicago, the city is indeed very very segregated by income, so while there is crime all over Chicago, I didn't need to pass through all-out rough areas on my way from my home in the north side to say, the Loop. I am really disappointed that I can't continue in GR as relatively carefree as I was in Chicago..that's not to say I wasn't careful all the time-stuff happens everywhere. I just find taking transit is worth the hassle--it makes me feel more connected to the people and places of a city, not to mention avoiding parking costs and unneeded pollution. Well, I forgot this is Michigan, and even in a bigger city, everyone prefers to drive? It's interesting that GR has depressed areas in the center of the city--I think this is relatively unique, no? I am going to have to read up on the history of the city.

It is good to get perspective from locals. I have actually been more concerned about crime since moving here, despite living close to gang territory in Chicago. I guess it is being a home owner rather than a renter with close proximity to very depressed areas, and a recent robbery/shooting in the heart of Alger at 8 pm!

Last edited by scoob4751; 05-11-2016 at 08:53 PM..

Old 05-12-2016, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Thanks everyone for replying...It has been interesting to follow! It's interesting because while I was a public transit fanatic in Chicago, the city is indeed very very segregated by income, so while there is crime all over Chicago, I didn't need to pass through all-out rough areas on my way from my home in the north side to say, the Loop. I am really disappointed that I can't continue in GR as relatively carefree as I was in Chicago..that's not to say I wasn't careful all the time-stuff happens everywhere. I just find taking transit is worth the hassle--it makes me feel more connected to the people and places of a city, not to mention avoiding parking costs and unneeded pollution. Well, I forgot this is Michigan, and even in a bigger city, everyone prefers to drive? It's interesting that GR has depressed areas in the center of the city--I think this is relatively unique, no? I am going to have to read up on the history of the city.

It is good to get perspective from locals. I have actually been more concerned about crime since moving here, despite living close to gang territory in Chicago. I guess it is being a home owner rather than a renter with close proximity to very depressed areas, and a recent robbery/shooting in the heart of Alger at 8 pm!
I just provided the perspective of someone who used to live in the inner SE side. Many people on these forums are Grand Rapids boosters who only want to talk about the good. They get defensive when people start talking about some of the bad realities of the city. No....GR is hardly Flint, Saginaw or Detroit....but there are many people from Flint, Saginaw and Detroit living in this community and its not like GR does not incubate it's own social ills that produce crime and violence. For example, GR is rated one of the worst cities in America for African Americans. I am a GR booster too......but the difference is I have seen the other side. There are two starkly different Grand Rapids, based upon race and class....and you will travel through some of those areas on your way downtown.

It's normative, until recently, for the poor to be in the heart of the city.....at least in Michigan.

All that said, I would recommend that you ride the bus. It's not a care free experience but neither is life. Chicago is gang bang.....in Michigan its just "bang bang". There are gangs, but the real gangsters are the drug dealing crews here.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 05-12-2016 at 06:58 AM..

Old 05-12-2016, 06:19 AM

Quote:

I have a brother who lives in Oak Park and he takes the train to work in the Loop every day, and you pass through some pretty rough areas along the way that are just a mile or so from downtown. North of the Loop is way different than West and South of the Loop.

It's not unusual at all to have depressed areas in the center of a city in the U.S.. In fact, it's the norm.

Mapping Poverty in America - The New York Times

Downtowns all over are seeing a resurgence, and then you have a donut ring of extreme poverty just outside the downtown (except every city has one or two high end neighborhoods just outside of the downtown, see Heritage Hill and the near North Side of Chicago), and then you have more affluent neighborhoods beyond the donut ring until you reach the older suburban areas, which are slowly dying and being replaced by shinier newer exurban areas beyond that. That's the case in just about every city in the country, minus unique areas like San Fran or NYC, to name a few.

Generally speaking, Alger Heights is a pretty safe area and has been a magnet for young couples and young families for quite a while. Garfield Park area is also becoming pretty popular.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:29 AM

211 posts, read 370,307 times
I grew up in that area and I took the #3 bus Madison downtown yes it is sketchy from Burton to franklin the beginning of the heritage hill lately. Also Garfield park has always been a popular park it has waned in recent years because the closed the pool and filled it.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr to okc View Post
I grew up in that area and I took the #3 bus Madison downtown yes it is sketchy from Burton to franklin the beginning of the heritage hill lately. Also Garfield park has always been a popular park it has waned in recent years because the closed the pool and filled it.
That was way back in 2002. It's become a popular neighborhood again.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:54 PM

12 posts, read 10,261 times
I live a bit east of Madison, but did some walking early this morning and thought the park just so beautiful, very old trees, yet completely empty...and those majestic homes west of the park! Am very curious about the history of that area. Was wondering about the Madison bus...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area