Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 04:43 AM

6 posts, read 25,107 times

Advertisements

You are all GREAT and the information is more than helpful. All information is greatly appreciated and welcome. I do have a new list of apartments that I have been looking at but forgot it at home. Will update
Thanks Again Everyone!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 06:38 AM

6 posts, read 25,107 times
Here are the apartments I have been told to look at. Does anyone have good or bad information on these?

Hidden Lakes
Briarlane
Old Farm Shores
Walnut Hills
Woodbridge
Burton’s Landing
Oxford Place
Eastland
Glen Oaks East
Ridgewood
Burton Ridge Apartments

Old 10-12-2008, 05:13 PM

15 posts, read 124,581 times
Hello,
Don't worry about finding a house you can afford, you will be fine. I am living in Northern VA right now, but I am originally from Michigan. I have also lived in California. Michigan is a cheap state to live in. I know this from travelling around to different parts of the US. Northern VA is expensive to buy or rent. My rent is $2,000 a month. I bought a house in Michigan before and my house payment was $654. It was a nice house in a nice neighborhood-some years back though. Of course I don't get paid as much in Michigan as I do here, but I did my research because I am going to move back there myself- to the Grand Rapids area, and it is still more affordable to live in Michigan. You will also find people in Michigan-the midwest-to be much friendlier than this area. Good luck with your move.
Traci

Old 11-02-2008, 12:01 PM

6 posts, read 28,215 times
East Grand Rapids is the snobbiest place on the face of the planet. If you're into that, fine. Otherwise, I'd try Northview, Lowell, possibly Rockford. The charter schools in the area are GREAT, and I'd highly recommend them over the "elite" public schools in the area.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:28 AM

845 posts, read 3,271,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettech View Post
East Grand Rapids is the snobbiest place on the face of the planet. If you're into that, fine. Otherwise, I'd try Northview, Lowell, possibly Rockford. The charter schools in the area are GREAT, and I'd highly recommend them over the "elite" public schools in the area.
How do you really feel?

I think that's a bit harsh, don't you? I moved to EGR 4 years ago and never felt ostracized or unwelcome for being some outsider (we moved from the city of Kalamazoo). It's a very friendly place in my opinion.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:35 PM

181 posts, read 607,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suydam View Post
How do you really feel?

I think that's a bit harsh, don't you? I moved to EGR 4 years ago and never felt ostracized or unwelcome for being some outsider (we moved from the city of Kalamazoo). It's a very friendly place in my opinion.

I have to agree with suydam. EGR is very friendly. If you want to meet some snobs, hang in Ada/Forest Hills. brrrrrr

Old 11-25-2008, 08:02 AM

845 posts, read 3,271,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMonkey View Post
I have to agree with suydam. EGR is very friendly. If you want to meet some snobs, hang in Ada/Forest Hills. brrrrrr

Not true either. I have lots of friends and co-workers who live in Ada/Forest Hills.

There are snobs everywhere.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:44 PM

810 posts, read 3,306,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suydam View Post
Not true either. I have lots of friends and co-workers who live in Ada/Forest Hills.

There are snobs everywhere.
Very true!

Old 04-26-2011, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,099 times
Hi Everyone. I'm moving to GR soon and not familiar w/the neighborhoods. I'm 55+, young, healthy and active but would prefer to live in an affordable 55+ building just for the quiet. BUT what I'm looking for is a "walk-around" neighborhood--like I walk out of my apartment and onto (or close to) a sidewalk of shops, coffee shops, bookstores, little restaurants etc. I no longer want my entire life to consist of television and the computer, which happens when there is nothing outside but the "park-like setting"! Sad and debilitating. And unhealthy in so many ways!! Are there any such neighborhoods where one could actually talk to other people like that? Thank you. And if you would like to even email me the answers and comments please do. It's gsr0943 at the one that rhymes with bahoo. =D

Old 04-26-2011, 08:35 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeJoy View Post
Hi Everyone. I'm moving to GR soon and not familiar w/the neighborhoods. I'm 55+, young, healthy and active but would prefer to live in an affordable 55+ building just for the quiet. BUT what I'm looking for is a "walk-around" neighborhood--like I walk out of my apartment and onto (or close to) a sidewalk of shops, coffee shops, bookstores, little restaurants etc. I no longer want my entire life to consist of television and the computer, which happens when there is nothing outside but the "park-like setting"! Sad and debilitating. And unhealthy in so many ways!! Are there any such neighborhoods where one could actually talk to other people like that? Thank you. And if you would like to even email me the answers and comments please do. It's gsr0943 at the one that rhymes with bahoo. =D
There's an apartment complex in East Grand Rapids that face Reeds Lake that would probably be perfect. Lakewood Hills I think they're called.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area