Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 08:05 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,858,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deslok View Post
Grand Rapids is still the same church going conservative community it always has been. When I think of GR I don't think of which way people decided to vote on a current election, it is more my experiences being in the city itself. (younger professionals being looked down on in favor of the tried and true GR 40-50 something year olds, conservative dress and atire, lack of tolerance in other races or sexual orientations, the guy wearing the John Deer hat in the elevator that was also wearing a suit.)
So they voted for Obama. I'll bet my friend who isn't gay that happened to wear a pink shirt walking down whatever main street it is in GR would still have been called a *** by the oh so liberal GR residents.
Yes, an entire region should be based on a few particular experiences by one individual, and not based on demographic and voting trends of the populace. You can't make up comedy this good.

Here's another article:

Top Stories: President-elect Obama wins Kent County | kent, obama, county : WWMT NEWSCHANNEL 3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 09:26 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,983,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Yes, an entire region should be based on a few particular experiences by one individual, and not based on demographic and voting trends of the populace. You can't make up comedy this good.

Here's another article:

Top Stories: President-elect Obama wins Kent County | kent, obama, county : WWMT NEWSCHANNEL 3
And linking to a liberal media outlet that quotes 2 life long democrats (GASP!) somehow makes it less laughable?

Sorry, can't help myself.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
And linking to a liberal media outlet that quotes 2 life long democrats (GASP!) somehow makes it less laughable?

Sorry, can't help myself.
Newschannel 3 is a liberal media outlet? You've got to be kidding. Is there a liberal slant to the weather, car crashes and shootings?

Come back when you have something that actually counters my position.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:05 AM

Kent County Republican Commissioners enter into unprecedented power sharing agreement with Democrats:

Power-sharing may be inevitable for Kent County Board of Commissioners - Grand Rapids News - The Grand Rapids Press Online - Michigan Newspaper - MLive.com (http://www.mlive.com/grpress/news/index.ssf/2008/11/powersharing_may_be_inevitable.html - broken link)

KENT COUNTY -- In his bid for chairman of the Kent County Commission, Grand Rapids Township Republican Dean Agee is promising an unprecedented power-sharing arrangement that could put a Democrat in the No. 2 spot on the county board.

While Agee is proposing dramatic changes, other Republican commissioners said no matter who is chair, Democrats will have to be given bigger roles on such GOP-dominated boards as Public Works, the Grand Rapids-Kent County Convention/Area Authority or the Aeronautics Board.

"It's a new day," Morgan said.

Among Agee's promises is a vote on county funding for the farmland preservation program, known as the Purchase of Development Rights. It pays farmers not to develop their land in exchange for placing it in trust.

The PDR program has been traditionally hated by local Republicans, which tries to slow suburban sprawl.

I know, liberal rag Grand Rapids Press (who endorsed Obama for Prez).

Old 11-12-2008, 06:02 PM

810 posts, read 3,307,369 times
Quote:
Kent County Republican Commissioners enter into unprecedented power sharing agreement with Democrats:

Power-sharing may be inevitable for Kent County Board of Commissioners - Grand Rapids News - The Grand Rapids Press Online - Michigan Newspaper - MLive.com (http://www.mlive.com/grpress/news/index.ssf/2008/11/powersharing_may_be_inevitable.html - broken link)

KENT COUNTY -- In his bid for chairman of the Kent County Commission, Grand Rapids Township Republican Dean Agee is promising an unprecedented power-sharing arrangement that could put a Democrat in the No. 2 spot on the county board.

While Agee is proposing dramatic changes, other Republican commissioners said no matter who is chair, Democrats will have to be given bigger roles on such GOP-dominated boards as Public Works, the Grand Rapids-Kent County Convention/Area Authority or the Aeronautics Board.

"It's a new day," Morgan said.

Among Agee's promises is a vote on county funding for the farmland preservation program, known as the Purchase of Development Rights. It pays farmers not to develop their land in exchange for placing it in trust.

The PDR program has been traditionally hated by local Republicans, which tries to slow suburban sprawl.

I know, liberal rag Grand Rapids Press (who endorsed Obama for Prez).
GR Press endorsed McCain Editorial: For president -- John McCain - Grand Rapids Opinion - The Grand Rapids Press Online - Michigan Newspaper - MLive.com (http://www.mlive.com/grpress/opinion/index.ssf/2008/10/editorial_for_president_john_m.html - broken link)

Old 11-13-2008, 06:07 AM

316 posts, read 1,182,045 times
We could go around and around on this one. Not just my experiences, but a large portion of everyone I have met that has traveled threw or lived in GR has had simliar experiences to my own. While comedy to you, my real experiences have been enough for me to find Grand Rapids not so funny. As evident on this forum I don't think I am alone, I just wish people that lived in that western part of the state could actually grasp this and step outside the box just once.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Newschannel 3 is a liberal media outlet? You've got to be kidding. Is there a liberal slant to the weather, car crashes and shootings?

Come back when you have something that actually counters my position.
Not necessary when you simply ignore the source of the channel's story.

A convenient though not surprising ommission on your part, regardless of 3's position.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:47 AM

Interesting article out of the Wall Street Journal yesterday. Obama carried Ohio with 400,000 *less* votes than Kerry 4 years prior. Why? Republicans stayed home.

To infer that states/municipalities somehow realigned more to the left ignores the fact that less republican voter participation opened the window for democrats, not that there was some fundamental political shift.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Not necessary when you simply ignore the source of the channel's story.

A convenient though not surprising ommission on your part, regardless of 3's position.

That's funny. Did you miss this in the article?

"I think you can call this whole election, particularly here in Michigan and around the country as a complete rejection as the perceived status quo, which was the Republicans," said Todd Harsic, a political analyst.

Todd Harsic = not a Democrat

And as far as the Wall Street Journal's stance (conservative publication), it doesn't matter what people who stay home think. They don't affect policy and aren't engaged in the community. They could be right wing loonies and it wouldn't matter. In case you didn't know, MOST people in this country don't subscribe to one party or another.

Here's how the shifts went for the entire country, compared to 2004, by county:

Old 11-14-2008, 02:17 PM

447 posts, read 1,246,045 times
When it was all said and done, I did not have a horse in this race. McCain is as far from a true conservative as the party could have chosen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area