Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 12:02 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
I do not want to sound so insensitive to specific causes, but I just do not understand why people want to find the cure for cancer, vaccine for deadly viruses, and to stop abuse and poverty when we need a balancing act. There are over 6 billion people in the Earth. The world is so overpopulated to begin with. Without cancer, fatal diseases and incurable viruses the Earth would be so exasperated by people. We are a species that does so much harm to this world, we don't even know it, especially in the USA. Why would I want to save people who more than likely are going to have more kids, drive big SUV's, be overweight, consumption of natural resources, etc;. I just think the number of cancers, and diseases right now are a balancing act.

Sure I would not want any of the people I care about to succumb to cancer, and a fatal diseases and viruses. Yet I do not want future generations to be victims of pointless violence and massacres once we realize that the world cant hold as many people. I am not saying it is a conspiracy but I am pretty sure most of these foundations have this thought in the back of there mind and even though if they find a cure, they are not going to release it to the public because it is just not logical to save the millions of people who have cancer, and fatal diseases and viruses.
Where's the proof that in the USA we do more harm than any other human population on the planet? Sounds like you've been drinking the hard left winger uber-environmentalist grade "Jim Jones Kool-Aid". I feel sorry for you.

If one day you contract some kind of virus, or by some chance your body is ravaged by cancer I HOPE you have ACCESS to all the care in the world to save your life.

Maybe you'll refuse all care and sit in a room and fester and die. That way you'll actually be practicing WHAT YOU PREACH.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:07 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
The world is so overpopulated to begin with.
Without cancer, fatal diseases and incurable viruses the Earth would be so exasperated by people.
once we realize that the world cant hold as many people.
Are any of these statements supportable?

How do we know the world is overpopulated?
What does "overpopulated" mean?
What does "so exasperated" by people mean?

Old 12-09-2010, 02:52 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
You could use the same argument for war.

Start more war! It's marvelous at reducing the surplus population!

And what about all those old people, poor people, ugly people, and..........

Old 12-10-2010, 02:54 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Quote:
I do not want to sound so insensitive to specific causes, but I just do not understand why people want to find the cure for cancer, vaccine for deadly viruses, and to stop abuse and poverty when we need a balancing act. There are over 6 billion people in the Earth. The world is so overpopulated to begin with. Without cancer, fatal diseases and incurable viruses the Earth would be so exasperated by people. We are a species that does so much harm to this world, we don't even know it, especially in the USA. Why would I want to save people who more than likely are going to have more kids, drive big SUV's, be overweight, consumption of natural resources, etc;. I just think the number of cancers, and diseases right now are a balancing act.

Sure I would not want any of the people I care about to succumb to cancer, and a fatal diseases and viruses. Yet I do not want future generations to be victims of pointless violence and massacres once we realize that the world cant hold as many people. I am not saying it is a conspiracy but I am pretty sure most of these foundations have this thought in the back of there mind and even though if they find a cure, they are not going to release it to the public because it is just not logical to save the millions of people who have cancer, and fatal diseases and viruses.
There are so many factual as well as theoretical flaws in your argumentation that it's hard to know where to begin.

For one, the world is not overpopulated, we're just not managing our resources in an efficient manner. Those of us who live in "developed" countries stand for a ridiculous waste culture, which takes it's toll on our resources, and lets someone else pay for it. It is however a myth that the earth is overpopulated, the resources just aren't managed very efficiently and fairly, particularly food, water and access to electricity.

Secondly, the one "cure" that's shown to be overwhelmingly effective in the fight against overpopulation is, hold on, prosperity! The better social standards and life security people have, the less children they make.

If people have access to a dependable food supply, can afford to tap in to that food supply with money they've made working a job that does not take advantage of them and pays fairly, whilst their children go to school and gets an education, and they have access to dependable health care if they get sick, well, then they appear to stop having so many children.

A good indication of this is the birth rate in developed countries, where the low rates are actually starting to become a massive socioeconomic problem, as opposed to underdeveloped countries, where the birthrates are very high. Allow the underdeveloped countries to develop, and you'll immediately see a decline of the birthrate and as a result, the population will stabilize.

Taking your argument even further though: Do you support famine and child hunger? What about Tuberculosis, a disease that has a cure, but isn't made available to the poor. Both these result in far more deaths than Cancer, do you think children should suffer, not eat, and die, because the population is high?

If you really do stand by your argument, you will say yes. Hunger kills 17.000 children every single day, all year round. And that only makes up 60% of the deaths of children under the age of 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Like someone else mentioned, I think there are probably already cures for Cancer and/or Aids. And if not, doesn't matter if they are ever invented, they will never hit the market. People with cancer or Aids will never get these cures. The scientists that manage to find these cures have to have funding. And the people who fund them own the rights to their research and aren't in the business of funding such things for humanitarian reasons. They know that if a cure is found, the pharmaceutical companies and others who make a killing off the sick, will come knocking to pay.
My father passed away from cancer and his medical expenses in the end ran 30K a month. These companies make money hand over fist. So they are going to do whatever is necessary to make sure that that revenue stream is not interupted. If 75% of your money was made off of cancer patients, are you gonig to let a cure for cancer hit the open market? Hell no. So it's nothing for them to toss a few hundred million to a biotech to buy the rights to their research, vaccine or whatever it is they have and keep it from cutting into their revenue stream or keep them from being put out of business. It's sad, but true, we live in a world where money is god. Notice how we haven't had a "cure" for anything in a really long time? Not a coincedence. Western medicine is a joke. It's like a money tree. And you aren't going to cut the money tree down, you're going to water it, baby it and try to harvest it to its fullest potential. This is the grim reality we live in.
Yet newer and better way to combat cancer and aids are continuously made available, cancer patients who just 5 years ago, might now have a good fighting chance, they do experimental cancer treatments every single day and fewer and fewer people actually perish from this disease.

Who would've thunk it.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:00 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,731 times
Quote:

Ever hear the old saying "if you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem"?
Nuff said.
Hopefully you will never get cancer, viruses, have kids, or drive big SUV's, be overweight, or consume natural resources. And anyone alive consumes natural resources from birth to death. Do you want to give that up yourself to help the world?..... I didn't think so.
If you ever do get sick are you going to refuse treatment to help reduce the population?
I'm not suggesting you leave us to set an example.
But don't expect anyone else to not try to live life for as long as possible unless you are willing to do they same.
Yes, you must be young. Someday you will feel different when you are in the winter time of life and want to see one more spring or summer, or see your kids or grandkids grow, or go for one more ride in your car.
Whoops, I forgot. You aren't into that. You don't want to contribute to increasing the population or using natural resources.
Or maybe you do. You just don't anyone else outside of you or your family to do it.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:26 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,232,577 times
I'd like a cure for cancer because people cannot prevent themselves from becoming afflicted with it. AIDS, on the other hand, is preventable, and tends to afflict the more irresponsible members of society.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:49 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
I'd like a cure for cancer because people cannot prevent themselves from becoming afflicted with it. AIDS, on the other hand, is preventable, and tends to afflict the more irresponsible members of society.
Yeah, explain that to the thousands of children born with AIDS in Africa and other 3rd world countries. It can also be argued that many cancers are a result of "irresponsible members of society" e.g., smoking, drinking in excess, high fat diets and no exercise. Always amused by folks who judge people based on their diseases.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:13 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:

My grandfather had colon cancer.

He is probably the hardest working man I have ever known in my life. He is getting alzheimers in his old age. He worked 80 hours a week, sometimes for no pay, to build a family business from the ground up. He first worked in Michigan during the week, driving home to Tennessee every weekend to spend time with his family, just to make ends meet and try and learn something.

And you think people should have just let him and others like him to die because he would be a drag on society? Really?

Cancer and disease don't just strike the idiots of the world. Many times they strike the best, the brightest, and the hardest working amongst us. Thats why we want a cure.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:41 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Yet newer and better way to combat cancer and aids are continuously made available, cancer patients who just 5 years ago, might now have a good fighting chance, they do experimental cancer treatments every single day and fewer and fewer people actually perish from this disease.

Who would've thunk it.

This shows a lack of knowledge regarding Cancer. Example, my father had Multiple Myeloma and incurable type of cancer. I had so many people try to tell me "Don't lose hope!!! Your dad can beat it like Lance Armstrong did." No, not all Cancer's are created equal. Prostate Cancer, Breast Cancer, testicular Cancer, Melonoma, and many others ARE curable if caught early enough. However, there are several Cancers that are not curable, such as the one my father had, no matter how early it is detected. And I'm not surprised that those with incurable cancer are living longer. They stick around longer, they fork over more money for medicine and treatment. Who wouldn've thunk it?

Old 12-10-2010, 08:57 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
This shows a lack of knowledge regarding Cancer. Example, my father had Multiple Myeloma and incurable type of cancer. I had so many people try to tell me "Don't lose hope!!! Your dad can beat it like Lance Armstrong did." No, not all Cancer's are created equal. Prostate Cancer, Breast Cancer, testicular Cancer, Melonoma, and many others ARE curable if caught early enough. However, there are several Cancers that are not curable, such as the one my father had, no matter how early it is detected. And I'm not surprised that those with incurable cancer are living longer. They stick around longer, they fork over more money for medicine and treatment. Who wouldn've thunk it?
My father died from cancer in 2008, so I'm under no illusion that all cancer is treatable, and I never said so either.

But you yourself bring up testicular cancer. These days, the survival rate for testicular cancer is extremely high (in the 98-99% range in some countries), even though it's a cancer type that's generally discovered relatively late. You don't even have to go back 10 years for those numbers to be radically different. The same goes for prostate cancer.

If you look at breast cancer, again, survival rates have increased, but maybe more importantly (for the survivors), developments in surgical ability means much fewer have to actually remove the breast. In most cases, they can now go in through your armpit, only remove the cancer cells, and you're left with little if any noticeable marks from it.

In Germany, they've started using a new type of radiation treatment where the radiation can be set to "discharge" at a specific spot and depth in the body, meaning the radiation only affects the cancer cells, which in turn makes it far more effective.

In my fathers case, they were considering using this technology to reduce the size of the tumor before removing his entire liver and replacing it with a donor one. This would've been if not a world first, then most certainly an Norwegian first. Sadly it proved to be impossible, but there was no shortage of ideas or attempts.

Again, I've never claimed all cancer is treatable, and I know full well, the tragedy and pain this disease brings with it, it's not fun watching the people you love wither away, becoming a skeletal shell of who they are and being in terrible pain before death. But I find there's ample proof that there's progress also in this field, and that there's hope that most, if not all cancer types will be treatable or abolished in the not too distant future.

Put simply: I think your belief lacks any foundation in truth, and I think the numbers and progress made in the last 20 years speaks for itself, if you're willing to look at it. It's easy to blame the big mean drugs and medical equipment manufacturers, and they are very cynical at times, that doesn't mean it's always true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates