Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 10:15 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asexualgirl View Post
Yes, they and other role models are biggest part of problem. Kids and teen agers are growing women, when they get eating disorder already 5-6 years old or 12-14 years old or what ever they are not old enough to know what is resist demands of world.

There is also other reasons like boyfriends who calls them fat and so on but on this moment there is so much wannabe anorexians who try to fit the form because it is fashion on the moment. These wannabes has their own sites and diarys where they admire to become anorexian

Poor kids
It's women who do this to themselves. Most men don't even care for the stick figure look; what's so appealing about it? They look pale and sick, and it would feel like hugging a skeleton. Yeah ribs sticking out and all bony knees and elbows, real sexy.

As to the original question, of course the fashion industry influences girls/woman to some degree. And like the others have said peer pressure is strong enough to make anyone 'choose' to act like a complete brainless drone. Nobody is immune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 11:04 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
No. Fashion models have always been thinner than regular society. The only thing that has changed is that the vast majority of us are now overweight, and want to stomp out anything that reminds us of that fact.
In previous times and places, there were desires for plumper and curvier women (such as during the Renaissance). Even today, I've heard that in some poorer countries in Africa and Asia it's also in style, although it's changing due to globalization.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:18 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,547,686 times
Please stop calling plump women curvy. It's an insult to women with hourglass figures.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:23 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Cause and effect. No, the thin models do not cause anorexia or bullemia any more than liquor manufacturers cause alchoholism. Addictions and abberent behaviors would continue to exist regardless of the access to a product.

Individuals are responsible for themselves and their own self-image. That said, female tweens & teens spend undo amount of time and effort glamorizing fashion magazines and celebrities in many cases. That they get their self-image from these magazines and from peer pressure more than at home is an indicator of low self-esteem and the need to fit into a stereo type of what is "normal". God help us all and our girl children if the behaviors of Miley Cyrus, Lindsay Lohan or Paris Hilton are the socially accepted norms.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:53 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Even when I was a kid I knew better than to listen to the media and their stupid ideas on how to live my life.

People should have their own minds and self-control. If you listen to everyone else about who you should be, you just lose yourself.

I don't blame the media. They prey upon the weak-minded...but people have a choice.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:38 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,529,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
No. Fashion models have always been thinner than regular society. The only thing that has changed is that the vast majority of us are now overweight, and want to stomp out anything that reminds us of that fact.
I would not agree. Back in the 1900's they were rather healthy looking. (Except for the corset ads, but finally society realized it was not healthy to have a 14" waist). In the 1950's and 1960's, they did not look like they were starving themselves. Remember how beautiful Jane Mansfield and Marilyn Monroe were? Look at some old Life and Look magazines (many public libraries still have them). The models looked fit not sick.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:49 PM

727 posts, read 540,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It's women who do this to themselves. Most men don't even care for the stick figure look; what's so appealing about it? They look pale and sick, and it would feel like hugging a skeleton. Yeah ribs sticking out and all bony knees and elbows, real sexy.
Hey there is magazines and forums and support groups full of girls and women who has started to starving after their boyfriend has called them fat (even they have had normal weights). Mean words like calling fat can start eating disorder.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:01 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asexualgirl View Post
Hey there is magazines and forums and support groups full of girls and women who has started to starving after their boyfriend has called them fat (even they have had normal weights). Mean words like calling fat can start eating disorder.
I can't imagine calling my gf fat (maybe if she really was and I was really pissed off with her), but these gals just need to learn to think for themselves and not listen to what their mean boyfriends say.

Believe me, most men would rather women stop fussing about their weight. No, I don't mean eat till you're a pig, but keep a healthy weight but have a balanced view about it.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:26 AM

727 posts, read 540,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I can't imagine calling my gf fat (maybe if she really was and I was really pissed off with her), but these gals just need to learn to think for themselves and not listen to what their mean boyfriends say.

Believe me, most men would rather women stop fussing about their weight. No, I don't mean eat till you're a pig, but keep a healthy weight but have a balanced view about it.
But our whole social system basic to be if not popular at least "accept". If you do not fit the form your pack gives you, you are rejected. All hates you if you are not skinny enough, rich enough, pretty enough or spell well enough. Young girls want friends, older people want friends, job and family. Did you knew some employers demands this and that from out look and dressing ? If you want to keep your job you have to take surgery...?

How many person really is like me, gives f**k for the rules and do what wants, without kissing others asses? It is lonely way to live but at least I can say I live for me and not for others.

It is social blackmailing and medias brainwash what happends, cannot demand that KIDS can resist that. If Victoria Beckham is cool and skinny, schools are full of little Victoria Beckhams. That is how it is.

Last edited by Asexualgirl; 12-25-2010 at 08:39 AM..

Old 12-25-2010, 11:27 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Not really. If that were true, wouldn't we all succumb to it? How is it that while I'm watching a bunch of scrawny actresses on the red carpet, I can enjoy a bowl of chocolate ice cream while viewer B is puking her guts out in the bathroom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates