Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2011, 09:59 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,547,686 times

Advertisements

I think a lot of you (no offense intended) are confusing respect with courtesy. These are two different things.

You should treat Mr. Miagi with respect, and the Karate Kid with courtesy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 12:18 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
Just for being alive longer? Is their opinion more valuable? On one hand, old people do have a long archive of experience, but on the other hand, some people are idiots no matter what age they are.
No, I have met many elders, who do not deserve my respect. But often when I do run into someone, who I find their words breathtaking, they usual have a couple of decades on me.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:39 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Someone once wrote that when he first went away to college, he was ashamed at how ignorant his father was. Later, after he had graduated, he was truly amazed at how much the old man had learned in four years.

The passage of time has a similar effect on the perspective of most reasonable people. The older you get, the more input you receive, both consciously and serendipitously. If for no other reason, old people deserve the benefit of the doubt unless and until they prove that they have lost their marbles. And even then, they often have something of value to offer, even if it is only the lesson to be drawn from their decline.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:29 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
I agree with many people in here who said respect is earned. Being of the older generation does not make one wise, just as being of the young generation does not make you ignorant and irresponsible. I have met wise young people, and foolish old and visa versa. In general I believe intelligent hard working young people become wise older folks. If you are a fool as a 25 year old, that is not likely to change by the time you are 70 or 80. In fact those people get even nastier as they believe being old allows them to say whatever they want to those who are younger than them. If you are elderly and believe that those younger than you should "respect thier elders" then you probably are more likely to say and do what ever you want to them. This sense of entitlement leads to generational bickering. You should treat all people with respect, regardless of age or status, at least untill they act in a way that shows they dont deserve that respect. Oh and I am near midlife, so I dont fit the label of young or old.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:39 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,554,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
Just for being alive longer? Is their opinion more valuable? On one hand, old people do have a long archive of experience, but on the other hand, some people are idiots no matter what age they are.

Respect should be earned. If they give respect, then they get it. I had this older woman cut me off in a store. I did not say anything. Was brought up respecting older people, but I believe it goes both ways.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:47 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Are old people worthy of more respect than young people?

Some are, some aren't

Old 04-17-2011, 01:42 AM

146 posts, read 250,111 times
I believe that the young should always at least listen to the elderly because there are so many lessons about life that can only be learned from experience. The elderly have been your age before and many understand that the laws of human nature are timeless. With that said the elderly shouldn't be dismissive of the younger generation either. The youth are our future and what they have learned in their shorter lives is much more current. They aren't stuck in outdated paradigms of thought like the elderly. They are only a reflection of the generation that raised them so before criticizing them I believe the elderly need to try to honestly remember how much like them they once were.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:59 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,232,577 times
If older people are worthy of my respect, why is the U.S. in its current condition? I'd feel more obligated to respect older generations had they left the U.S. in the condition that they would have liked it to be were they my age, but as it currently stands, I've inherited from the older generations one big mess thanks to their complacency.

p.s. And thanks for murdering our cousins in Europe, because after all, it's just fine for the whole rest of the world to conquer us as long as they aren't Germans...

Old 04-17-2011, 04:58 AM

481 posts, read 943,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
If older people are worthy of my respect, why is the U.S. in its current condition? I'd feel more obligated to respect older generations had they left the U.S. in the condition that they would have liked it to be were they my age, but as it currently stands, I've inherited from the older generations one big mess thanks to their complacency.

p.s. And thanks for murdering our cousins in Europe, because after all, it's just fine for the whole rest of the world to conquer us as long as they aren't Germans...
I am not sure what you mean by the last statment. Are you talking about WW2?

As to the rest, are you really sayig the state of the US is worse off then it was in 1950? 1940? Really? What criteria are you using to judge that with? Obviously not technology, race relations, gender equality, medical achievements, etc. Maybe you can explain with what criteria you are basing your opinion on?

Old 04-17-2011, 10:06 PM

7 posts, read 7,516 times
Default old people deserve respect

Older people have experienced more of life and therefore have more knowledge than young people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates