Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2023, 04:22 PM

1,651 posts, read 866,625 times

Advertisements

Personally, I don't let the U.S. define what countries are the enemy. Makes no sense to have an embargo over Cuba for so called "human rights violation" while at the same time being buddy with Saudi Arabia. It was asked why we are still hostile to Cuba. I believe it's to set an example to the rest of Latin America. Basically, cross us and see what happens. I used to think it was due to politics, but Florida is a Republican state now so what incentive do Democrats have to continue their Cuban stance. My wife and I plan to go to Cuba. Her Uncle went and loved it. Plenty of YouTube vids of Americans making the trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2023, 07:56 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,443,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
Personally, I don't let the U.S. define what countries are the enemy. Makes no sense to have an embargo over Cuba for so called "human rights violation" while at the same time being buddy with Saudi Arabia. It was asked why we are still hostile to Cuba. I believe it's to set an example to the rest of Latin America. Basically, cross us and see what happens. I used to think it was due to politics, but Florida is a Republican state now so what incentive do Democrats have to continue their Cuban stance. My wife and I plan to go to Cuba. Her Uncle went and loved it. Plenty of YouTube vids of Americans making the trip.
That is a good point and probably kept some nations south of the border in line for a long time. Nowadays we have more competition from China in Central and South America & Carribean. I'll be curious to see how that affects policy. It doesn't seem sensible to continue with the Cuba embargo and try to create a barrier for our own citizens to travel freely. Of course, there are ways around that travel ban, but we should not be forced to have to do that.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-04-2023 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: Added 'not' to last sentence.

Old 02-08-2024, 11:12 AM

1,217 posts, read 513,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post
I've been to Cuba several times, and took a tour of Havana. It is better than Jamaica but nowhere near as nice as Mexico. The Cuban people suffer more from the embargo than the government does.

I find it kind of ridiculous America has stricter sanctions on a banana republic over something that happened 60 years ago than it does a country it is currently fighting a multi-billion dollar proxy war against.
There no embargo relative to food and medicine. The problem is that Cubans don't have money, other than what Americans send to relatives, to buy stuff. The government imports most of the food, and puts into government run stores lol. Cuba has trade relations with a bunch of countries.

Old 02-08-2024, 01:24 PM

102,219 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
If you go, ask them not to stamp your passport, but use the paper visa instead. That way your own passport won't rat you out.
I don't understand the need for this. Americans have always been able to visit Cuba, as long as they don't spend any money there. There have always been tours of various sorts that arrange homestays, there have been university study-abroad programs in Cuba, professional conferences (Cuba hosts international alternative energy systems conferences every few years), etc.

And who cares if your passport has Cuba stamped in it? No one sees that, except customs officials in other countries you visit, and even then, they don't usually flip through the whole book to look at where you've been. They go right to a blank page.

Old 02-08-2024, 06:47 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
There no embargo relative to food and medicine. The problem is that Cubans don't have money, other than what Americans send to relatives, to buy stuff. The government imports most of the food, and puts into government run stores lol. Cuba has trade relations with a bunch of countries.
If it was to free Cuba from communism that the trade embargo was initiated sixty years ago, it ought to be clear that it has failed. Cuba still has a communist government and shows no sign of changing.

Its time to face facts. A small clique of Cuban exiles living in southern Florida has a huge amount, too much, influence over US foreign policy when it comes to Cuba. If it wasn't for this group, a long time ago I think we would have moved on. By that I mean, we would have realized that the Cuban embargo was not accomplishing its purpose and it was time to try a different policy. The problem is the Cuban group around Miami has too many presidential candidates scared, so they do not do what they should and get rid of the embargo.

I would argue at this point that if we want to free Cuba from communism the best approach would be to engage with the country. Send our people there. Let Cubans see how much wealth our capitalist system has produced. Let them see how far behind their own country has fallen through blind adherence to a messed up ideology initiated by Fidel Castro and his brother Raul Castro.

I would like to see the whole embargo abolished and for us to treat Cuba as any other nation.

Old 02-08-2024, 09:45 PM

7,594 posts, read 6,085,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
If it was to free Cuba from communism that the trade embargo was initiated sixty years ago, it ought to be clear that it has failed. Cuba still has a communist government and shows no sign of changing.

Its time to face facts. A small clique of Cuban exiles living in southern Florida has a huge amount, too much, influence over US foreign policy when it comes to Cuba. If it wasn't for this group, a long time ago I think we would have moved on. By that I mean, we would have realized that the Cuban embargo was not accomplishing its purpose and it was time to try a different policy. The problem is the Cuban group around Miami has too many presidential candidates scared, so they do not do what they should and get rid of the embargo.

I would argue at this point that if we want to free Cuba from communism the best approach would be to engage with the country. Send our people there. Let Cubans see how much wealth our capitalist system has produced. Let them see how far behind their own country has fallen through blind adherence to a messed up ideology initiated by Fidel Castro and his brother Raul Castro.

I would like to see the whole embargo abolished and for us to treat Cuba as any other nation.
According to several Cubans here in the Tampa area, Uncle Raul does not operate a real Communist society. Instead, he operates a Mafia society where he and his generals (Cronies) are the Godfathers and everything exists to benefit them, the people be darned....so long as Uncle Raul gets his cut first, the people can starve and exist in unarmed poverty

Viva la Revolution is dead! It is now Viva Raul's Wallet

My sarcasm aside, your points are pretty much right. The Embargo has FAILED.

SO Trade first, tourism next I would not trust Raul or his Generales to provide for a safe haven for Americans, but then again, Canadians, Brits and even Oompa-Loopas like to vacation there so it cannot be all that bad.

Would be nice to have had this had happened 30 years ago when I could have smoked a Cuban Cigar. I cannot now.

Old 02-09-2024, 02:32 AM

You people can preach "trade" with Cuba all you want. Cubans don't have any money to buy stuff. Do you know why there is a million Chinese motor bikes in the DR, because Domincans can afford to buy them. The Cuban government is the "oppressor" lol. You people suck at negotiating.

Old 02-09-2024, 07:42 AM

335 posts, read 154,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
You people can preach "trade" with Cuba all you want. Cubans don't have any money to buy stuff.
It's quite obvious you have never set foot in the country and simply buy all the propaganda your government has spoon fed you about the place. The country is making a mint from tourism. The problem is that America will not let Americans trade with it under penalty of prison for doing so. This places a lot of American products outside of their reach.

Old 02-09-2024, 12:27 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't understand the need for this. Americans have always been able to visit Cuba, as long as they don't spend any money there. There have always been tours of various sorts that arrange homestays, there have been university study-abroad programs in Cuba, professional conferences (Cuba hosts international alternative energy systems conferences every few years), etc.

And who cares if your passport has Cuba stamped in it? No one sees that, except customs officials in other countries you visit, and even then, they don't usually flip through the whole book to look at where you've been. They go right to a blank page.
Agreed. I think the Cuba stamp is a pretty cool thing to have. I told the US custums guy why I was there, gave him all of my trip paperwork, declared two bottles of rum and ten cigars, and was on my way.

Old 02-09-2024, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post
It's quite obvious you have never set foot in the country and simply buy all the propaganda your government has spoon fed you about the place. The country is making a mint from tourism. The problem is that America will not let Americans trade with it under penalty of prison for doing so. This places a lot of American products outside of their reach.

1) No, Cuba much further down the tourism scale compared to other destination in the area. Actually a lot of "tourism" bodies that depart from airliners are people with Cuban ancestry visiting family.

2) You said the "country" not the people.

3) The average monthly income is about $150 USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates