Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 11:10 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwrek View Post
Nothing in the Constitution authorizes the federal government to use public funds to subsidize feeding others.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." - James Madison

Yes, the Constitution was and is by the wealthy, of the wealthy, and for the wealthy.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Serious Debt View Post
A lady I know was laid off from her job as a Administrative Assistant two years ago and did a half hearted job search that came up dry after two years. She collected 99 week of benefits and was finally cut off as her eligibilty ended. Now she is still unemployed, without a dime to her name, so she went down to the welfare office to apply for benefits. They offered her about $300 in food stamps, but nothing else.

She lives with he sister and can survive with $300 in food (from the food stamps) and the sister will not charge her rent because she takes care of her kids for rent. (The person I am talking about is single and childless. The kids she helps watch are her sisters) So her basic needs are covered. She could survive under this situation for years.

So my question is does America owe this woman anything? Should people who just can not (or will not) find a job be supported until......???

Last I checked, the max food stamps a childless adult could get is $200.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
If you are young enough........just have a kid.......then you will be good to go.

There are a lot of people that have kids just for the welfare benefits.

I personally know of a woman that deliberately decided to have another child because the one she had was about to age out.

How does she deal with the five-year lifetime welfare limit?

Old 07-25-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
How poor do you have to be to qualify for food stamps?
I have seen tremendous inequalities in the approval/disapproval procedures.

GL2

Depends on income, housing costs (rent/mortgage + utilities), and medical expenses.

Assuming normal expenses, people generally can get SOME food stamps up to approx the poverty line, which is maybe $900-$1000 per month for a childless adult. Since food stamps are phased out as available income increases, by the time you get near the top of the income range, your food stamps approach zero.

Two people at X income can have vastly different housing costs and therefore vastly different amounts of food stamps.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:44 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How does she deal with the five-year lifetime welfare limit?
I don't think they had that restriction back then.

Anyway, she never did manage to have another kid......but she didn't need to......she was diagnosed with MS and went on disability.

Now, none of us know how she pulled that one off.......because for all of these years, no one has seen any evidence of MS. Luckily for her, she has been symptom free since day one.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:37 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,693,567 times
America is supposed to be a christian nation. When I read post like this I wonder how many so-called christians actually read the few gospels about Christ and his philosophies. A person in need is a person in need if they are single or married. Hunger is hunger.
Wayne Dyer did a show one time where he mentioned that he and another couple were on their way to dinner. They became stopped in traffic and a homeless person came over and made a poor attempt to clean the windshield of Dyer's car. Afterwards the homeless person motioned for a tip and Mr. Dyer gave him a five dollar bill. From the back seat, came the words, "why bother, Wayne, he'll just spend it on drugs or booze." Wayne Dyer said something like, "God and my conscience requires me to help anyone who asks for help. How they use it is up to them." God requires all of us to help when asked or when we see the need. It is not up to us to qualify the person requesting that help.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:18 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,314,448 times
Quote:
God requires all of us to help when asked or when we see the need. It is not up to us to qualify the person requesting that help.
If you look back at the many posts in this thread, several times I've been brutally critical of those who would deny someone like a 60 year old single adult who can't find work food stamps or other reasonable assistance.

I think compassion is a fine human quality. I see nothing wrong with either individuals or our government providing assistance to the needy.

What I do not believe is that compassion has to be never-ending or given to the point where it is simply irrational to do so. Some people will not help themselves and others choose to seek assistance rather than gainful employment.

I think that while extending aid to the needy is not wrong that it should be done rationally. Yes, this does sometimes require us to make judgments. I almost always walk by panhandlers without giving them any money.

So, yes, we have a right--within reason--to look into the "qualifications" of those requesting assistance. Saying "no" is not wrong when the person truly is trying to take advantage of generosity.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:18 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,917,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
America is supposed to be a christian nation. When I read post like this I wonder how many so-called christians actually read the few gospels about Christ and his philosophies. A person in need is a person in need if they are single or married. Hunger is hunger.
Wayne Dyer did a show one time where he mentioned that he and another couple were on their way to dinner. They became stopped in traffic and a homeless person came over and made a poor attempt to clean the windshield of Dyer's car. Afterwards the homeless person motioned for a tip and Mr. Dyer gave him a five dollar bill. From the back seat, came the words, "why bother, Wayne, he'll just spend it on drugs or booze." Wayne Dyer said something like, "God and my conscience requires me to help anyone who asks for help. How they use it is up to them." God requires all of us to help when asked or when we see the need. It is not up to us to qualify the person requesting that help.
I'm not exactly religious per se, but I do that as well. I don't have a lot of money but when I do have some, if I have a few ones I will give them to a homeless person standing on a corner. Why ? Because like you said it's my conscience talking. It breaks my heart to watch cars go past ignoring them so I do.

And I too don't care what they spend it on. I can't imagine being homeless without havng panic attacks, so if they want to buy some cheap beer so be it. Whatever gets them through the next ten minutes is my opinion.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:19 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
If the unemployed single folks truly cannot locate work OR if they are too disabled to work then why shouldn't public benefits be extended to them? Just as many folks with kids abuse the system as single folks who milk their unemployment without seriously looking for work.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:13 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,698,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Yes, the Constitution was and is by the wealthy, of the wealthy, and for the wealthy.
Can you prove this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates