Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 09:55 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,285,220 times

Advertisements

something to ponder over ... I see it daily in teens, teachers, family members, and the list goes on. I'm sure others must view the same nonsense as I. Of course, I live in the south ... Texas (I know, a mistake I made many years ago) and the south is always viewed, it seems, as lazy and obese.

Survey: US is world's laziest country - NYPOST.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 10:55 AM

61 posts, read 177,790 times
Bydand: Thank you so much for adding your $0.02 opinion to this post. Your insightful comments are a prime example of why (West) Michigan continues to dominate the economic food chain of the United States of America.

Thomas R. : True, compared to GB or even Japan, the US's debt compared to GDP does appear mild, and I totally agree with you that both parties just have too much pork spending.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:57 AM

Canine: yeah, i know, i've got it in me myself. just like, blah, whatever. paycheck still comes in. s'ok.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:18 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,280,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Compared to Belgium, Britain, or the Netherlands our debt looks fairly mild.
It is always easy to find someone who is worse off than yourself. Better compare to countries with lower public debt.
The wikipedia list doesn't seem to be very accurate, US debt 59% of GDP? I don't think so. The Netherlands is always praised for its rather low debt compared to other European countries. Although I have no clue when it comes to external debts.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:12 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,880,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironjello View Post
Bydand: Thank you so much for adding your $0.02 opinion to this post. Your insightful comments are a prime example of why (West) Michigan continues to dominate the economic food chain of the United States of America.
Actually West Michigan is doing better than the rest of the state. You might want to check some facts before trying to take a dig at another poster. You took a jab because I was right and you know it.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:40 PM

9,540 posts, read 16,540,899 times
To sum it up. America as a nation does not have a society to be proud of, we are just told we should be proud of the USA. Yes there are guns guns and more guns. Never a thought or the smallest solution why we have a society so crime ridden, and basically selfish and thoughtless of each other. Our polticians are a total failure, but much of their failure comes from the society they may govern over.

We do not look out for our citzens the way a country and its people should. No one should be bankrupt over medical bills in this so called richest country on earth. Right there shows how selfish and total disregard for its citizens is the USA.

With all this Egypt uprising this past week, I have heard several journalist mention the USA a number of times. We have given in aid to Egypt some 2.5 billion in aid over the years. Of course the American taxpayers funded all this aid. To Egypt and so many other countries. Yet so many of our own citizens are living in poverty and hunger and so few want to admit it.

I think its great to be a neigbor in the world but I question the neglect this country shows towards its own. Our debt is beyond belief and has been building for years. I forsee major problems in this country way beyond the major ones we are dealing with right now.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:03 PM

yes, yes, you are right Bydand.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:44 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,884,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironjello View Post
1. OBESITY : compare 1980s shows with 2000s. people in the 80s were thin. Now, women who are "fat" are taught to think themselves "big is beautiful."
Hey now, they're not "fat"... they're just "big-boned".

We've become a nation where it's all "quantity over quality". It can only go downhill from this point on.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:22 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,704,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
US inventions as of late! A country like China will steal our technology/intellectual property and try to reverse engineer it but it's not the same.

IPAD
IPOD
SEGWAY
Military Drones
GPS
DVR
Bionic Contact Lens
3D TV just to name a few!
Not to mention the iPhone 4. The first phone that supports video calls. That's a huge milestone. And you don't need wifi for it either. If you download the skype app you can video call from anywhere as long as your in a 3G/4G zone. That phone has made me computer free. The only time I use a computer is to type documents for school. Right now I'm on city data via my iPhone 4. The tablet in general is starting a revolution. ESP with how people do business.

YouTube is another amazing invention from the US. Now we can see whats going on in all corners of the world, without any slander from the media. Do you know how many protestors in Egypt uploaded videos to YouTube? A lot. And theyre amazing to watch because you feel like your there. I think it's fascinating how some random kid from a working class family cam become a celebrity over night because of a video he uploaded to YouTube. Can you imagine the world without these things? You should because YouTube was invented as recent as 2005. Look what it's done in such a short time.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:12 PM

8,056 posts, read 10,651,352 times
Capitalism run amuck, and apathy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates