Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 10:14 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times

Advertisements

Religions rule by irrational fear. People still continue to cling to it with no rational reason other than the fear of not kowtowing to the vengeful gods if you don't.

Sounds like the Stockholm Syndrome to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 04:48 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,191,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Are love and fear mutually exclusive emotions?
I would say so because one is often used as an excuse for the other. Most parents love their children. However, some model and pass on irrational fear either by living in fear or by being too aggressive.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:02 PM

799 posts, read 1,095,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Religions rule by irrational fear. People still continue to cling to it with no rational reason other than the fear of not kowtowing to the vengeful gods if you don't.

Strait up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
I would say so because one is often used as an excuse for the other. Most parents love their children. However, some model and pass on irrational fear either by living in fear or by being too aggressive.
That's true but the child can always change, Free Will is the key to that

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Motivation or method?

Does "Rule with love" mean that the people do what the leaders want because the people love the leaders? Or that the leaders do what's best for the people because they love the people? How would either of these work?

"Rule with fear" is pretty obvious: the leaders get the people to obey by threatening them with something painful. But "Rule with love" is more complicated.
This sound like the Hitler route, the people loved him, they was eating out of his palms. Whatever he said was law and the people complied with little to no backlash, so we see how that route though is a good plus we can see how manipulation, ego, and power can distort that into negativity.

This sounds like The Founding Fathers route, the people ruled, not government. All the government was instituted for was stability and security. With that said if the majority of the people wanted Universal Healthcare, they would get it with no backlash. But I think what messed us up was the political parties, too much power in government and secret societies. Though a downfall to this is the rise of Anarchy, depending upon your point of view

If both of them worked hand in hand, that would be a ruler with love and the people that love the ruler with neither one dominating the other just the two in harmony and balance.

Motivation and Method. You would't give your two year old candy all the time just so they can be quiet or leave you alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Are love and fear mutually exclusive emotions?
I think they are both primal emotions, every other emotion stems from these two. Love and fear are like yin/yang you can't have one without the other, as far as Earth and humanity goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
I guess that is the million dollar question. How to play your cards right.
Well that depends on the culture of the ruled and ruler. For instance we live in capitalistic society, with a majority of Abraham-based religions, a failing economy and a general fear of the coming year. How do the rulers (politicians) react and what do they do about such problems and the ones surrounding that. Not only that but as of lately the politicians seem to be ignoring what majority of the people want, and subtly saying that the general pop. is in inferior to the knowings of the world and how to survive but we let them get away with it... I'm going off topic but I think you may get the point on playing the cards right...

Old 07-13-2011, 03:20 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,936,194 times
Why rule at all? Maybe make some rules... (basic ones)
then demonstrate compassion, love.

Better to inspire than to threaten.

Important to also not confuse intent w/ behavior.

Fear is learned and unfortunately has been taught way too much on this planet. Seems to be a one trick pony. Time for some Yin to go w/ all that Yang.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

Well not all religion. But I would also put Big government and Corps in the same boat.

There is taught a value in condemnation.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:05 PM

799 posts, read 1,095,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Why rule at all? Maybe make some rules... (basic ones)
then demonstrate compassion, love.

Better to inspire than to threaten.

Important to also not confuse intent w/ behavior.

Fear is learned and unfortunately has been taught way too much on this planet. Seems to be a one trick pony. Time for some Yin to go w/ all that Yang.
For example...

Old 07-29-2011, 05:47 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
'Is it better to rule with love or fear?'

Neither, it's better to rule with wisdom.

It really depends on the circumstances.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL View Post
For example...
Well actually, I kinda am partial to Common Law and Constitution. Heck even the Golden Rule is a good one.

Not harming another, being accountable and not a fan of victimless crimes.

As far as demonstrating Compassion and Love. I think that is a personal thing though there are some good examples, historically.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:26 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,203,997 times
Ruling with fear will get you overthrown soon enough.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:26 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,917,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
If you rule with love, you will have respect and support....if you rule with fear,you better not turn your back.
Exactly. I hope an awful lot of power-crazed people are sleeping lightly lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates