Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 06:57 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times

Advertisements

It has started and remained involved in at least two major wars to the benefit of the manufacturers supplying the materials and the financiers lending the money. Supporting war without tax increases to the wealthy is a GREAT accomplishment if you are wealthy. Admittedly these wars have not been all that good for the people that have been wounded or killed but, hey, they are not part of the Important People that have made billions. After all acquiring billions is the point of the game.

Incidentally these wars, well maybe not so incidentally, have protected the international petroleum cartel from the threat of uncontrolled oil supply entering the world market from newly discovered field in Iraq and central Asia. This has protected the investors that own the cartel for losses. As several of the larger investors are either British of Saudi Royals it was mandatory to protect these examples of the best people possible.

Our government has managed to enrich the rich and protect royal investors. I would say these are indeed great accomplishments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 07:08 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,213 times
It think it depends on which special interest group you are asking.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:35 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
I have been thinking of exactly what are some outstanding accomplishments of the US Gov in the last 10 years that have really helped nation. My idea of great accomplishment would like winning WII or like almost eliminating poverty.

I know the US Gov passed tons of laws in the last 10 years but I don't thing any of them seems that great. Of course, some may argue US winning in Iraq is one but I wouldn't agree. Response to 9/11 could be a candidate but Osama Bin Laden still hasn't been found and we are still fighting in Afghanistan. Other may say TARP or bank bailout saved the USA form disaster however I personally see it causing more trouble for Americans. The universal health care maybe one though it hasn't come into affect yet and there seems be quite a few negatives.

Looking at last 10 years+ it seems like the US Gov hasn't been very useful in improving the nation. Do you guys think US Gov has actually done something in last decade that would count as an 'Great Accomplishment'?
The US government hasn't collapsed under it's own weight yet... that's something.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:44 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
It will be "Novus Ordo Seclorum." If you don't know what it is get informed.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:53 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Government is not supposed to do anything great. It's supposed to manage the country and stay the heck out of the way.
This.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:06 PM

142 posts, read 358,321 times
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010 and the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009 are 2 things that come to mind.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:40 PM

113 posts, read 180,850 times
The US government has accomplished great things to ensure that the rich people are protected and get richer, they have put the middle class on the path to extinction, and they have ensured that the poor people stay poor. They have also racked up trillions of dollars in debt that our grand children and great grandchildren will never be able to pay back.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:03 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
I would agree. In the last 10 years, nothing of value to working Americans was implemented from 2001- 2008. I'm pretty happy with things since then. Implementing programs to ensure all people have access to affordable health care tops the list.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:55 PM

673 posts, read 3,091,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Government is not supposed to do anything great. It's supposed to manage the country and stay the heck out of the way.
This.
So do you think the Government has done good job accomplishing this task in the last 10 or so years?

Old 05-07-2011, 05:36 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
So do you think the Government has done good job accomplishing this task in the last 10 or so years?
When did they make this a task to accomplish?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates