Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 05:07 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,066,849 times

Advertisements

This is absolutely are great country. Where else in the world can someone not pay their mortgage, stay in the house for over a year, and not go to jail? Where else in the world can you be taxed up the whazoo for just breathing.?There is even a charge for the baby you deliver (not talking about the doctor or nurses cost and or the stay at the hospital, I'm talking about the actual baby). Where else in the world are pets treated better than humans? Where else can someone with limited education become a millionaire? Right here in the good old USA.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:13 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
You think just because it's worse in other countries makes it okay to have anything close here?

What you're saying is like this:

"Oh ow! This guy is stabbing me! Oh but that's okay, that guy is getting stabbed by three people, that's way worse. I guess I'll just accept getting stabbed by only one guy."

What we have going on here will get worse if we don't wake up and change it! But too many people are happy with their McDonalds and TV and have become too ignorant to fight.

As far as gun bans, our government has been trying for that one. Obama has made using guns far harder than it used to be.

And so what if we citizens have a gun? The government has BIGGER GUNS. We have a right to bear arms. But at the same time, we are not allowed to own certain guns, and the ones we have, have to be regulated heavily. THAT IS NOT FREEDOM.

If you're referring to decreasing freedoms like privacy and gun ownership rights (examples of many) then I’m with you all the way on this one. I actually agree with some of your arguments.

But if it’s “living free” with the self-serving concept of not earning it, or paying into it ~ and there IS a difference ~ then that's a commodity enjoyed only by “professional welfare recipients”. And they have been around since the 60’s. It's nothing new.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:21 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
If you're referring to decreasing freedoms like privacy and gun ownership rights (examples of many) then I’m with you all the way on this one. I actually agree with some of your arguments.

But if it’s “living free” with the self-serving concept of not earning it, or paying into it ~ and there IS a difference ~ then that's a commodity enjoyed only by “professional welfare recipients”. And they have been around since the 60’s. It's nothing new.
To me living free is being able to work for it. And by work I don't mean get yelled at by a sweaty boss for meager change, I mean get out there, find some land, build a house, and survive.

That should still be an option and it isn't. There is no self-serving lazyness in that.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:26 PM

313 posts, read 450,471 times
Cookieskoon ~

You originated this thread for what's "positive" about the U.S, and you've done your damndest to turn it into a another "what's negative about the U.S." thread by trying to argue with everyone else that their opinions are wrong. So which thread is it supposed to be???

You don't like it here. We get that. You want to be able to claim some land and just build a house on it with no questions asked (which hasn't been the case since the early 1900's). Most Americans don't like a lot of the changes that have taken place within the last 2-3 decades (and, yes, things have been transitioning that long). But most of us can find a lot to appreciate about being here, and I hope to Hell that in due time you will, too.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunJoaquin View Post
Cookieskoon ~

You originated this thread for what's "positive" about the U.S, and you've done your damndest to turn it into a another "what's negative about the U.S." thread by trying to argue with everyone else that their opinions are wrong. So which thread is it supposed to be???

You don't like it here. We get that. You want to be able to claim some land and just build a house on it with no questions asked (which hasn't been the case since the early 1900's). Most Americans don't like a lot of the changes that have taken place within the last 2-3 decades (and, yes, things have been transitioning that long). But most of us can find a lot to appreciate about being here, and I hope to Hell that in due time you will, too.
I... didn't start this thread.

In fact I've been consistent with my opinions since I started posting.

I love this country. That's why I am so passionate about what needs to be changed.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
I... didn't start this thread.

My apologies.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
My apologies.
That's okay.

But in all honesty, my love and passion for this country is why I am so outraged about it's shortcomings. And I am frustrated with the American people, we have the power in numbers to accomplish anything; yet all we do is sit and eat and be content and ignorant.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
That's okay.

But in all honesty, my love and passion for this country is why I am so outraged about it's shortcomings. And I am frustrated with the American people, we have the power in numbers to accomplish anything; yet all we do is sit and eat and be content and ignorant.
Then tell us what you do like about America.

You currently live in a very unique state with very unique extremes. So, please, enlighten us.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Then tell us what you do like about America.

You currently live in a very unique state with very unique extremes. So, please, enlighten us.
What I love about America? Certainly.

I love our beautiful landscape. We have some of the most gorgeous land in the entire world.

I love our potential. We have the potential to really become the greatest nation on Earth.

I love our food. In my opinion the United States has the best food in history.

I love our forgotten fighting spirit. It's mostly been lost, but there was a time when men and women all across this country were the toughest to ever live.

I love our creativity. Once again, we've been letting it go, but we Americans have some of the greatest ingenuity and have also contributed unimaginably to the arts and entertainment.

Unfortunately much else of what I love has been or is being taken away. For now, that is all I can bring to mind.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:41 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
Perhaps the OP was just having a bad hair day.

I mean, why would we have so many people risking their lives to live here illegally or otherwise if life here was so crappy?

Our country isn't perfect, but it's home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates