Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 12:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,156 times

Advertisements

US is indeed boring in compare to many other countries, the biggest problem with urban design in the US is that public spaces and social interactions are not defined in the context of city architecture. America is beautiful for its astonishing nature and landscapes, but when it comes to social life and fun it's supper boring. and also there are so many regulations that take fun out of everything.

basically fun in the US is consumerism or a faked Vegas. I lived in San Diego and to have fun you should go to Tijuana. Now I'm in San Francisco for god sake it's not nearly as fun as Istanbul or Berlin or Paris or London.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:29 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
I've only read the OP. I was born British, I grew up moving around Europe for the most part. I've also lived in the US for a short time and I live in Canada now.

As many things as I disliked about the US, being bland wasn't a problem. You think you know what to expect from the states from watching American tv and movies, but the culture shock is like a text book to the head.

No, America is not bland.
Please elaborate. This is interesting. Not so much culture shock in Canada?

The OP was talking about urban architecture. Sure, Europe has a lot of beautiful historic architecture. But the US can surprise in that regard, as well. The town where I live is about 80% adobe-style architecture modeled on the 1000-year old traditional Native American architecture of this desert region. Tourists come from all over the world to see this and experience Native American culture here.

Every region has its unique aspects. I agree with some of the other posters that the OP hasn't been outside his suburban community. Nor has he watched travel videos of the US, only videos of Europe. It's a very one-sided view.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:48 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
I do not agree that America is bland and boring compared to other countries. Okay, if you want to compare architecture in cities, sure, they have more interesting buildings and ruins, but as far as land, no, America is not more boring. This country has some of the most amazing, beautiful scenery and is just as wonderful here as it is anywhere else.

We have beautiful mountains.
We have intensely blue oceans (south east).
We have incredible fall foliage in New England states.
We have Alaska...you just don't get more gorgeous than Alaska.
We have Hawaii which is stunning.
We have great forests.
We have thousands of lakes.
We have rolling meadows.
We have plains.
We have natural, brilliantly blue pools.
We have interesting deserts.
We have white sand beaches.
We have the Florida Keys...not talking about the town, but the area, and it will make your jaw drop how beautiful it is.
We have roaring rivers.
We have the Grand Canyon.
We have Yellowstone.

I could go on. The point is, America is not even close to boring and bland. Get out of the city, go explore the country. You'll see just how fantastic this land really is.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:39 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Bored people are boring people.

If you are bored, it's not the place, it's you.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:49 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,887,961 times
US may lack the immense artistic and historical patrimony of Europe (and other areas of the world) but certainly it doesn't lack magnificent natural scenery.
Just think of Italy: a wonderful country, with an millennial history and unparalleled artistic,historical and architectural beauties, yet it doesn't have(considering we are 30 times smaller than US) the immense nature US still have.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:13 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,485 times
I think the architecture of the buildings in Manhattan ( New York City ) are pretty amazing. I have walked all over Manhattan stopping several times to admire the contrast in the buildings. You have old buildings with very ornate designs mixed with modern structures. I have lived in several areas of the US plus Mexico, Canada, and Venezuela. I have certainly never been bored in the US. I think that it is an amazing and very diverse country.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:06 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,239,314 times
America is not bland and boring.

Large parts of it may be, I'm thinking the Bible belt, but the rest of it is on fire.

Vibrant, exciting, embracing many different cultures, you are the standard the rest of the world aspires to.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:17 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
Idk its so big.... you have New York City, Boston, New Orleans but again you have Dallas and Phoenix.

I would rank us pretty high in a "bland" ranking but no higher than the UAE, the Nordic countries and Germany.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:20 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I do not agree that America is bland and boring compared to other countries. Okay, if you want to compare architecture in cities, sure, they have more interesting buildings and ruins, but as far as land, no, America is not more boring. This country has some of the most amazing, beautiful scenery and is just as wonderful here as it is anywhere else.

We have beautiful mountains.
We have intensely blue oceans (south east).
We have incredible fall foliage in New England states.
We have Alaska...you just don't get more gorgeous than Alaska.
We have Hawaii which is stunning.
We have great forests.
We have thousands of lakes.
We have rolling meadows.
We have plains.
We have natural, brilliantly blue pools.
We have interesting deserts.
We have white sand beaches.
We have the Florida Keys...not talking about the town, but the area, and it will make your jaw drop how beautiful it is.
We have roaring rivers.
We have the Grand Canyon.
We have Yellowstone.

I could go on. The point is, America is not even close to boring and bland. Get out of the city, go explore the country. You'll see just how fantastic this land really is.
True, China, America and Brazil are probably the three best countries in the world.
such a variety, absolutely beautiful scenery and so many large cities.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:07 AM

97 posts, read 97,451 times
3 main reasons

A) USA is extremely young. Not even 250 years

B) USA is surrounded by two huge bodies of Ocean. Great for holding off invasions, bad for experiencing foreign cultures

C) USA media & government brain washes the masses into believing Nationalistic BS. So citizens never leave the nest, never compare and contrast with the rest of the World
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates