Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 10:03 PM

1,136 posts, read 942,479 times

Advertisements

This is a debate? That's hilarious. Anyone who thinks that America is bland is uninformed. Let's start out by saying that Europe is definitely amazing, largely because it's so old. Yeah, there's definitely a charm to small villas in France or wandering cobbled streets in some British hamlet. Saying that America is not bland does not mean that Europe is bland. They're both awesome.

Now let's get to America. You can see everything you want in America. If you want awesome landmarks, try anything from the Golden Gate Bridge to Mount Rushmore to the Hoover Dam to the entire city of Washington, D.C. (which by itself could properly occupy anyone for a week). You prefer natural beauty? How about the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, and the Smoky Mountains? You like history? Try Valley Forge or the Alamo or the countless smaller still-preserved areas from the Revolution and beyond. You don't care about that stuff, but just like scenery? You can have it all, from the Pacific coastline and mountains to the Colorado Rockies to the endless grass Western plains to the sparkling beaches of the Carolinas and Florida. Are you kidding?

The people who think America is boring are people who just stay in the suburbs. If you're lazy, just go to a bookstore and find a picture book of America and your mind will be blown. There is so much beauty in the country that it's incredible.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:07 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Bored people are boring people.

If you are bored, it's not the place, it's you.
I'll have to agree here in many ways. On the other hand OP lives in Connecticut, which in some ways exemplifies the worst of US cookie cutter sprawl/suburbia and abandonment of once interesting cities.

Philly is most certainly not bland or boring, I can tell you that.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:52 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
Many people who say America is boring never leave the routine that they surround themselves in. American is anything but boring. The biggest difference is that in America, finding a lot of what isn't around you requires some distance traveling whereas in Europe you can practically bicycle across borders into other countries.

If America was so boring, someone ought to tell all the Europeans that visit this country every year. You could save them a lot of money and they could stay home.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:10 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,795,289 times
All that cookie-cutter housing in the US is the envy of the world. People in France pay fortunes and inheritances to buy houses that lower middle class Americans consider a birthright. Apartments in Europe are tiny and if they were in the US, would not be fit even for welfare people.

As far as natural beauty goes, every state has more than its share. Most of the rivers in Europe are seawalled to a greater of lesser extent. Most every square meter of land is used either for housing or farming. Much of it is beautiful but it's not natural. Nature is confined to enclaves. Great natural expanses are unknown in Europe.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:59 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
I don't think America is boring....except for the 'burbs. I grew up in a 'burb, you couldn't pay me to move back to one. The houses, the lawns, the strip malls, the mentality. Shudder. Anyway, there are loads of places in this country that I haven't been to & there are also places that I've been to that I want to return to, like Glacier Nat'l Park. However, I'm from this country so to me, traveling really means getting out of the country you live in & experiencing different cultures, food, ways of speaking or thinking, etc. I've only been to one place overseas & believe me, that will not be the only place. But it was fascinating because it was completely unlike this country & that's what I loved about it. I don't have too much interest in going to places that could just as well be america.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:15 AM

81 posts, read 351,846 times
Never was in the USA, but often read the Architecture is bad compared to Europe. People than explain ,thats because the Usa is young. Thats a joke. Many buildings in Paris are from the 19 century from Hausmann who built the modern Paris. Or Germany in the industrial Revolution, the Gründerzeit architecture based on historism and Art noveu. One of the most beautiful architecture style for me. This was only 100 years ago.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:20 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
I recommend you visit the US and don't believe everything you read. Especially on internet debate forums.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Much of it is beautiful but it's not natural. Nature is confined to enclaves. Great natural expanses are unknown in Europe.
Scandinavia is the European Part that a has alot untouched nature due to the small population. The Fjords of Norway are also the most stunning scenery the world has to offer in my opinion. I love the combination of mountains and water.

But the nature people created is often better like the provence, tuscuny with its vineyards etc.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I recommend you visit the US and don't believe everything you read. Especially on internet debate forums.
What was the popular architecture style in the 19 and beginning of the 20 century? Was it different than in Europe. From pictures i love the architecture in San Francisco like the victorian houses

Old 05-29-2014, 07:43 AM

56 posts, read 62,925 times
Quote:
Posted by Smalltownblues

This is a debate? That's hilarious. Anyone who thinks that America is bland is uninformed. Let's start out by saying that Europe is definitely amazing, largely because it's so old. Yeah, there's definitely a charm to small villas in France or wandering cobbled streets in some British hamlet. Saying that
America is not bland does not mean that Europe is bland. They're both awesome.

Now let's get to America. You can see everything you want in America. If you want awesome landmarks, try anything from the Golden Gate Bridge to Mount Rushmore to the Hoover Dam to the entire city of Washington, D.C. (which by itself could properly occupy anyone for a week). You prefer
natural beauty? How about the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, and the Smoky Mountains? You like history? Try Valley Forge or the Alamo or the countless smaller still-preserved areas from the Revolution and beyond. You don't care about that stuff, but just like scenery? You can have it all, from the Pacific coastline and mountains to the Colorado Rockies to the endless grass Western plains to the sparkling beaches of the Carolinas and Florida. Are you kidding?

The people who think America is boring are people who just stay in the suburbs. If you're lazy, just go to a bookstore and find a picture book of America and your mind will be blown. There is so much beauty in the country that it's incredible.
Yes, agree 100%. As a resident of Washington D.C. I can tell you honestly I haven't even seen/experienced all the things this city has to offer. The Smithsonian's museums are all "free" (funded through taxes). If anyone has been to Europe, most of their museums are not free (fairly expensive; at least that is how it feels once you get used to not paying a fee). They have exhibitions which are amazing.

New York City has to be one of the most visited places, not just by Americans but by so many other international travelers.

Are National Parks are absolutely amazing. Again, it won't cost you an arm and a leg to experience them. If you have the chance you should visit the Grand Canyon. It has to be one of my favorite places to visit.

Sorry if this comes off smug, but as someone who has many European friends currently living abroad. I can tell you some of them are dying to come to this country. Just to experience it (not for occupational goals). This country is literally so massive that it has so much to offer.

Again, there are so many great things about S. America, Europe, Asia. They do have ancient History which is amazing in it of it self. To see how far back their History goes. The United States is such a young nation compared to certain other ones. But he beauty of one nation doesn't take away from the beauty of another.

You should travel throughout this country and others and see for your self.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates