Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 10:41 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,882,197 times

Advertisements

and was much more recent as well. So the question I have is how was one group of people who were the recipient of such horrific acts, able to persevere and prosper over such a short time frame; while the other group collectively as a whole struggles to be prosperous in our society?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 10:43 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,859,414 times
Why should anyone be forced to agree?

That is a Nazi mentality.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:45 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,182,049 times
I'm not exactly sure I would call Israel 'prosperous'. They would be nothing without American aid.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:49 PM

385 posts, read 358,279 times
They've probably been able to prosper because they've infiltrated the American media and government, effectively using the U.S. government for their own purposes.

Iraq war, Israel's long standing enemy. We all know the official excuses for war were BS, doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out the war was done on Israel's behalf.

Now we infiltrate Syria with CIA agents. Another enemy of Israel's will bite the dust.

Next up Iran, probably Israel's largest standing enemy in the region. Is it any surprise that Iran is trying to create a nuclear weapon? They see the writing on the wall, there time may be up soon....

Old 08-25-2012, 10:49 PM

11,269 posts, read 11,035,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
So the question I have is how was one group of people who were the recipient of such horrific acts, able to persevere and prosper over such a short time frame; while the other group collectively as a whole struggles to be prosperous in our society?
This is a rhetorical question, right?

Old 08-25-2012, 10:51 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,841,059 times
^ seconded - what it the exact question/point here anyway??

Old 08-25-2012, 10:52 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post

WHOOOOSH, the sound of the point made by the OP whizzing over your head....

Had nothing to do with Nazi's, everything to do about a people picking themselves up off the ground and making successes of themselves while other groups over triple the time span have not progressed in the least (excluding the massive federal funding, the lowering of test scores and allowing them to blame everyone but themselves on their situation).

These same people had many opportunities to return to their Motherlands but realized they could stay here and play the race card for centuries making other peoples feel sorry for them and give them a life without work.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:58 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,738,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
and was much more recent as well. So the question I have is how was one group of people who were the recipient of such horrific acts, able to persevere and prosper over such a short time frame; while the other group collectively as a whole struggles to be prosperous in our society?
Compare the duration of the Holocaust (1939 - 1945) with the duration of not only slavery (1620 - 1865) but also the ensuing discrimination.

Just might have a little something to do with it...but the two are not comparable tragedies.

Last edited by rayneinspain; 08-25-2012 at 11:09 PM..

Old 08-25-2012, 10:58 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,841,059 times
which is the 'other group' that the OP refers to?

Old 08-25-2012, 11:00 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post

The OP is not trying to force anyone into agreement with him, knobber. He merely says he thinks we can agree on this. That is only his opinion.

Personally, I do not prefer to compare slavery to a holocaust. They are apples and oranges, as the major goal of slavery was never extinction.

I also don't like the idea of comparing the Nazi holocaust to the others that have happened since then, and there have been 3 that in my mind that reached the level of attempted extinction; the Sarajevo-Serbian conflict, The Tsuis-Hutu Rwanda genocide, Cambodia, and Darfur.

His question is: what is the greater tragedy? I have no answer for that. Slavery killed personal and national identity and the mother tongues of the slaves, but left them alive with no heritage. Holocausts just kill off tremendous numbers of innocents, but leave the few who remain with their heritage and the other stuff intact. How can you compare death of the soul to physical death?

Last edited by banjomike; 08-25-2012 at 11:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates