Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 06:49 AM

861 posts, read 1,249,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitman View Post
Dreadlocks vs. Corporate America: Real-Life Stories of Making the Choice

Two professionals stood by their hairstyles --- with no regrets
by Gerren Keith Gaynor Posted: August 27, 2012

For many African Americans with dreadlocks, the pressures of cutting your hair to fit the mold of Corporate America can be commandeering.

More often than not, black professionals are encouraged to do so for greater chances of employment, where African Americans remain a small minority in the workforce. But making the choice to cut or not to cut may not always be an easy decision. READ MORE.
I am a retired white male who transitioned from the construction industry to the insurance business in my mid twenties. In construction, I had long hair, and it's wasn't a issue for anyone. I knew I had to get "clean cut" to fit the corporate image if I was going to be serious about my future in the corporate world. It's about perception, like it or not. I changed my hair but not my attitudes. Some people take a stand at a cost. I had a young family to provide for. I don't see the dreadlocks any differently than clothing preference or this "white" man's hair. Corporate attitude regarding dress and grooming is militaristic. I don't think Bank of America is in a hurry to hire or promote into management front line employees's who have tattoo's viewable outside their dress wear. The fact is, customer's as a whole have negative perceptions about such things. While it is true accepiance of hair and clothing styles creep into the mainstreem, it takes a long time. I remember in the 60's growing my sideburns to just below my ear. It was radical to the mainstream. By the early 70's my father did the same. That's when I trimmed my sideburns back to mid ear. Perhaps that's the issue; folks see anyone outside the box as rebellious. It's interesting to watch the TV show Mad Men. Here you have all these corporate suits all dressed the same, but as the series unfolds we start to see the characters true identities. It isn't a case of "look at that guy's hair, he's this or that". In the corporate world, it was, and still is, subtle. We see it in ties, or shoes, or cologne, or the vehicle one drives. The fact, ableit unfortunate, is that if you wanna make it in corporate America, you must conform in some areas. To many, it's considered giving up identity. I used to think this in my rebellious youth. Until I found my identity was safe within me. I've survived with all my youthful rebelliousness very much intact. Hair doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 07:17 AM

861 posts, read 1,249,158 times
Check this out...
CIA WhistleBlower EXPOSES Everything! "Extreme Prejudice" - YouTube

I'm looking forward to your thoughts on this. Thanks

Old 12-06-2012, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,655 times
Default dclen1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehitman View Post
dreadlocks vs. Corporate america: Real-life stories of making the choice

two professionals stood by their hairstyles --- with no regrets
by gerren keith gaynor posted: August 27, 2012

for many african americans with dreadlocks, the pressures of cutting your hair to fit the mold of corporate america can be commandeering.

More often than not, black professionals are encouraged to do so for greater chances of employment, where african americans remain a small minority in the workforce. But making the choice to cut or not to cut may not always be an easy decision. [url="http://www.blackenterprise.com/career/dreadlocks-ban-corporate-success-stories/"]read more[/url].
dreadlocks are misunderstood and viewed from a racist perspective by the white community. I would venture to say that the black community is guilty as well.

Steeped in rastafari, dreadlocks are associated with drug use, lack of hygiene, and something that is exclusively african.

If one travels the world you will encounter dreadlocks in europe, mexico, india, and other places not associated with africa or jamaica.

Perhaps you should consider smaller locks that may look more professional and give particulary women styling options.

Check out sisterlocks in san diego. They will be at the phoenix courtyard in early january.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:05 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
I say "grow up." A job seeker can do whatever they want and so can the company that refuses to hire you because of how they expect you to present yourself. If they say, "No pink ties" then work someplace that allows pink ties if it means so much to you. You have a choice.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:52 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Quote:
What I actually DO see is a LOT of white guys, who for whatever reason, are wearing dreads. I don't know whether they're trying to be bruthas or what. But around here, it's the white guys wearing dreads.

Not to be rude, but that's like saying that black men who wear ponytails want to be white and so forth. So far from the truth. I see more and more white men and girls with dreads these days, even in my conservative County of York. No one should be given grief because they choose a hairstyle THEY are comfortable with, no matter what race they are. When does this stop?

Old 12-07-2012, 10:38 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,359 times
Dread locks are the result of laziness and poor grooming. Failing to wash or comb hair for a week will start it knotting up, a few more weeks and its beyond the point of return. They look absolutely disgusting if you really focus on them up close. I would have a hard time taking anyone seriously at work with those ratty things hanging off their head. It would be like trying to have a meeting with someone who has a giant booger hanging out of their nose. On the other hand, you could make these same arguments about people who are overweight. On some levels it is their own fault, on another they have developed or adopted a culture which tells them 'its normal' to be that way. In some countries you can actually be denied work or fired for being too fat (Japan). I can see both sides.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:38 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I say "grow up." A job seeker can do whatever they want and so can the company that refuses to hire you because of how they expect you to present yourself. If they say, "No pink ties" then work someplace that allows pink ties if it means so much to you. You have a choice.
So no corporation has ever hired anyone with dreadlocks?

O.K. got it.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:13 PM

251 posts, read 273,596 times
Interesting dialogue here. I would say that it is a by product of society to look like the homogenous population at least in the corporate world. The standards of beauty are based off of Euro-descent guidelines. Dreadlocks aren't any less professional than a French braid, it's a hairstyle, IMHO. For some it's a religion or a way of life. Here are a couple of photos of dreadlocks looking "professional" if its kept up right, they are gorgeous. Dreadlocks Hairstyles for Women | Hairstyles Weekly

Old 12-12-2012, 10:51 PM

468 posts, read 553,312 times
Whilst I have seen some VERY neat dreadlocked hairstyles, I really think that they generally aren't appropriate for certain lines of work. I personally don't like the look and hate it when people get their dreadlocked hair on my face.

I do think companies and institutions have a right to dictate their codes of dress and behaviour, and this includes hair etiquette. Society has to keep certain standards in place or culture will radically change. I think short dreadlocks are fine but long..no way. They generally look unappealing or unkempt. I don't have a problem with straight long hair (to a point) on a male as long as it doesn't interfere with practical activities.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Default Dreadlocks or long hair

Dreadlocks are not forbidden in my workplace but long hair on men is discouraged. I had long hair during college but cut it back to keep my paymasters happy. After an astounding number of years I realized I could have long hair if I was growing it for eventual donation to charity. My hair is now down to my shoulders and is a great built in scarf for winter. I will probably be retired before I get it cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates