Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 03:50 PM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Oh, exactly. I think in the early 20th century they actually sterilized people against their will:

Unwanted Sterilization and Eugenics Programs in the United States | No Más Bebés | Independent Lens | PBS
Yes that's true, and right up there with forced lobotomies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 04:11 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,235 times
Everyone has genetic defects that can be passed on down to children.

Let me guess: everyone who says 'Yes!' really means only others, not them. Other people with 'more severe' genetic issues. And what's the definition of 'more severe'? I'm sure the answer is something along the lines of "More severe than mine, 'cause I only wanna stop others from having kids, not me!".

Old 11-02-2017, 05:49 PM

1,065 posts, read 597,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
For example Huntington's disease is an absolutely devastating and horrible condition. What makes it worse also is that it is an autosomal dominant defect, meaning you only need one copy from one afflicted parent (not two).

Should someone with Huntington's disease be allowed to procreate and have kids that can suffer the same horrific consequence as them with a condition that has no cure?
We look at those people with disdain but say nothing. They probably don't care anyway.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:32 PM

779 posts, read 471,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
For example Huntington's disease is an absolutely devastating and horrible condition. What makes it worse also is that it is an autosomal dominant defect, meaning you only need one copy from one afflicted parent (not two).

Should someone with Huntington's disease be allowed to procreate and have kids that can suffer the same horrific consequence as them with a condition that has no cure?
Yes.

Old 11-03-2017, 04:54 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Should mean people be allowed to?

Old 11-03-2017, 02:13 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
I was a carrier of a horrific genetic-based disease (Duchenne muscular dystrophy), I chose not to procreate, and I do not regret it. In my opinion, people who have a high probability of passing on a painful and terminal disease to their children and who choose to risk giving birth to a child who would have a high probability that s/he would have such an affliction, anyway, are selfish.

However, that being said, I would not like to see any kind of Big Brother overseeing when it comes to deciding who can have children and who can't -- the main reason being, where would the line be drawn. Who or What would decide what would be an "acceptable" or "inacceptable" disease or disability?

Old 11-05-2017, 09:58 AM

1,884 posts, read 1,002,405 times
No. Why? Because we always forget that evolution is an incomplete story to us. We think we know everything.

Did you know that we have viruses embedded in our DNA, very similar to exogenous viruses (like HIV), that have both good and bad effects? Look into Barbara McClintock's work on maize viruses and "jumping genes" if you can handle the heavy science.

Did you know that sickle cell disease confers resistance to malaria? Or that cystic fibrosis confers resistance to cholera?

Did you know that our mitochondria are actually their own separate organism (photosynthetic bacteria) that we "stole" a LONG time ago? Now we have over 1000 mitochondria per liver cell, for absolutely vital functions.

We're not done evolving. Who knows what ridiculous game-changer is next? To use the example of Huntington's, nobody knows that we won't acquire a set of genes or whatever to turn the protein Huntingtin into an advantage in a certain environment/context.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:25 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,793,716 times
Iceland tests fetuses for genetic abnormalities. It has a very low rate of Downs syndrome births as a result. It appears the would-be parents elect to abort the babies.

This is the kind of thing that could happen if testing for genetic disorders is allowed or becomes common. I'll leave it to others to decide if this is good or bad.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:54 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
To use the example of Huntington's, nobody knows that we won't acquire a set of genes or whatever to turn the protein Huntingtin into an advantage in a certain environment/context.
Wrong. I do know. Not a chance! Not a chance in hell. What you are talking about takes thousands of years. 10's of thousands. We haven't got that long.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:02 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Iceland tests fetuses for genetic abnormalities. It has a very low rate of Downs syndrome births as a result. It appears the would-be parents elect to abort the babies.

This is the kind of thing that could happen if testing for genetic disorders is allowed or becomes common. I'll leave it to others to decide if this is good or bad.
America tests fetuses as well, but it is up to the parents (as it is in Iceland) whether to terminate or not. A large majority of Icelandic (and other European) parents choose to terminate (over 90%), a much smaller majority of American (55%) parents choose to terminate. But what about the conditions for which there remains no test? And what about the fact that in America at least, the cost of such testing is on the parents (or the individual)? Did ANY of the pro arguers in this thread themselves undergo any testing for possible congenital abnormalities beyond the low hanging fruit of Down's Syndrome??? I doubt it. I don't see the benefit of these kinds of theoretical arguments when our knowledge of genetics is so rudimentary and our medical infrastructure isn't up to actually carrying out the proposed changes in society
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates