Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 05:16 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,306,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Nothing new here. It's been this way forever. Rural people tend to be more independent, self-sufficient, conservative, traditional, religious, in favor of smaller government, etc. City dwellers are more dependent on the government running everything and taking care of people.

Independence vs. Dependence, to summarize.

You don't know why that is?
Quote:
City dwellers are more dependent on the government running everything and taking care of people.
That's because "cities" have buses, subways, smaller number of residences (hence prices are higher because demand is higher) and they pay more taxes to support the infrastructure they use everyday...DUH!
"city" ppl should really not complain much considering that their convenience highly outweigh those available to rural/urban people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 07:35 PM

21,145 posts, read 19,729,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
How about higher concentration levels of differing types of population requires a willingness
and perhaps even enthusiasm for more compromise and accommodation among them.
It doesn't work that way. (In case you haven't noticed.)

Old 01-27-2013, 07:58 PM

21,145 posts, read 19,729,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I've heard this before but it doesn't really hold true. I have friends and relatives in rural KY and TN. In Eastern KY, near the mountains, there is little employment. Kids graduate from high school and go on welfare - like they've done for generations. People who have jobs drive a long distance and the pay is minimum wage. They get food stamps, etc. This is true for other rural areas as well. There is little work and those who do raise some of their own food still often get some kind of gov't assistance. Families with kids get even more gov't money - and most of these folks have several kids because they tend to get pregnant young and have religious scruples that prevent abortion. Farmers get farm subsidies from the big bad Federal Gov't. I had a discussion on this very issue with a friend who lives in rural TN and when I pointed out how many people he knew who fall into this category, he admitted it's a flawed argument.
And how did rural KY and TN vote in the last election? Did they vote for the private sector candidate who wanted to reduce dependency on the government or the social-welfare-ist who believes government can take care of everyone? File:2012 Presidential Election by County.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Guess what, I have friends in the city who are very anti-welfare. But we're not talking about our friends; we're talking about the general population.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:48 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,897,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post

Independence vs. Dependence, to summarize.

That seems like a much more accurate comparison. The folks who have a harder time coping with the pressures of ''change'' in all its many forms these days, also seem to gravitate more towards the rural, red, ''my-way-or-the-highway' and ''you aint from around here'' areas.

Independence vs. Dependence is a great way to describe it.

I think the phrase 'have a harder time coping with the pressures of ''change'' in all its many forms' could be replaced with 'are tired of having crap shoved upon them'. Yep, they will go to where they can live free of the nanny state dictating to their every move.
They also get tired of urban folks moving to the suburbs and crying/whining about lacking blocks of chain stores, restaurants, organized activities for their brats and everything else under the sun.
Suck it up...you moved out of the rat race for a reason.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:39 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,748,382 times
When I served on a rural school board, I/we quickly realized that state school financing wasn't a matter of which state legislators on the state education funding committee were ( D) or (R), but whether they were rural or urban.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:07 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,220,137 times
Not to digress too far off topic, but the rural/urban divide is reflected in many views on gun ownership. Even sheriffs are not immune:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/16/us....html?hp&_r=1&

Old 12-16-2013, 09:37 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,428,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asderfut View Post
I think that the real issue isn't dependence vs. independence, or tolerance vs. intolerance. People in cities have to live with each other, so they adopt a more liberal point of view as part of that. People in rural areas have to get along on their own, so they generally adopt a more conservative view. The exceptions, of course, include oil and military cities, as well as that weird corner of eastern Iowa-southwestern Wisconsin-northwestern Illinois that's like a bright blue blob in a cornfield of red.
This. Im white and grew up in a rednecky town, then went to College and moved to the "big city." Whenever I go back out into the rural areas Im blown away by the closed minded-ness of those I grew up with. Theyre even closed minded about the fact that they're closed minded! I shave my legs because I swim and cycle (and just it just feels good after years of doing it), so Im forced to wear pants out there because Ive been called a Fa*** (rhymes with Maggot). Im happily married and my wife can vouch for my skills per se.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:49 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,460,349 times
^ ^ I hear 'ya, and it reminds me of whenever I return to visit my relatives in rural Alabama. So these days most of the once self-sufficient farmers have died off, and nearly all the old family farms are now overgrown with kudzu, due to the rise of Agri-business.

Yet today's generation of "country folk" still stubbornly cling to the "past", with tacky "country-themed" restaurant chains claiming to serve "old-fashioned cooking just like mom used to make" (but prepared by mexican immigrants)! And don't even get me started with the country-fied 'good old boys' in their K-Mart cowboy hats, with a mouth full of "chew" and their precious pickem-ups sporting "Cowboy Up" bumper stickers…. all slowly commuting to their jobs, not on any "farm", but at auto parts stores, the Golden Arches, and WalMart (…lol)!

Old 12-18-2013, 05:09 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,220,137 times
Sounds like somebody needs a plate of turnip greens and hog jowls, washed down with some sweet tea

Old 01-01-2014, 06:43 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,402,016 times
There's sort of a divide in Virginia because Virginia feels like those of us in Northern Virginia look down on them because we make more money and because Northern Virginia, in general, is completely different from the rest of the state -- we're more liberal here, fast paced environment, bad traffic, extremely diverse, urban sprawl. It's a bit absurd to me but there definitely is a bit of a divide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates