Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2015, 10:09 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,184,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsDEN View Post
That being said, why do you and other's claiming the ultimate goal of harm reduction, not pursue a potentially much more material reduction in harm for society at large? say for instance the consumption rate in America of refined sugar and flour, the lack of exercise, & lack of personal focused cardiovascular care that seemingly contribute significantly to heart disease, diabetes, etc etc etc rates here in the US...
Are you not aware of the considerable effort and progress made in just such areas over the years? Do you for some reason believe that only one problem should be of general concern at a time?

The topic of THIS thread meanwhile is the silly notion that guns don't kill people. Rants about organic farming and GMO's would be out of place here.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Maybe you, and other folks that believe this sort of iniative has merit, should try to get the Constitution amended to do just that?
There would be no need to amend.

Quote:
to me, given the ingenuity of kids/adults from NYC, DC and Chicago (where firearm controls are strong), I have a hard time believing this sort of ban would be effective -- I've personally seen preteens fabricate 'zip guns' from general purpose hardware store items... it is not difficult to accomplish.
So your point is that you have led an interesting life??? Less of a bad thing is better. Reduction does not mean elimination. How many times does all this have to be explained?

Old 09-23-2015, 10:20 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
Per the DOJ, about 95% of claimed DGU's never occurred to begin with. No wonder there were no shots fired.

Unverified, undocumented personal anecdotes with very questionable levels of independence and honesty. How many stories of Elvis or Bigfoot sightings do you think there are out there?

As noted above, the DOJ has looked into DGU claims and found them to be preposterous. The number of successful DGU's claimed in cases of attempted rape for instance exceeds the actual number of cases of attempted rape. That is hardly a good sign.

So tell us now how a successful DGU would leave the intended victim with no reason to report the attempted rape, and that's why the numbers look the way they do. I mean certainly you've bought that slop right along with the rest of it, so let's not let it go to waste -- spill it out here.
Provide the link that 95% of DGu's never happened.
The local news stories don't lie, every one of the DGUs compiled by the NRA can be verified by simply clicking on the link to the local news website. Are all these local news websites making up these stories?
Just because you want to disarm Americans does not mean these events never happened.
Do you have the same doubts about all local news stories. Do local news outlets just make up all their news coverage?
You are burying your head in the sand so you don't have to acknowledge that these events do occur.

As a defensive firearms instructor, I attend national conferences for instructors. I hear the stories first hand. I don't get my facts by sitting on a chair and using a keyboard. This is my livelihood and I study this from people that have experienced DGU's. I have emails from people that have needed to use the skills that I have taught them, thanking me for helping save their lives and the lives of their families. The thousands of instructors that attend these conferences have similar stories and we share them with each other. They are endless.

Thank God I live in a country that keeps the government from interfering with my ability to defend my family with a firearm should the need occur. It must suck being you, knowing there is nothing you can do short of appealing the 2nd amendment to achieve your agenda of disarming Americans.
With over 320 million firearms in America, and growing, you have an uphill battle. Even if you were legislatively successful, criminals will always have guns. They already have them and they last generations.

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/armed-citizen.aspx

Old 09-23-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
They don't work for you...

Be a MAN! Use the REPLY button!

Old 09-23-2015, 10:26 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Be a MAN! Use the REPLY button!

Someone suggesting to others that they should run from their home from an intruder, call 911, or run and hide has the audacity to tell me to be a man? Now that's rich!

Old 09-23-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Provide the link that 95% of DGu's never happened.
So, you've never read anything about DGU's that wasn't produced by the NRA. That's laughable, but certainly not surprising. What you might want to do is visit the NCJRS library sometime and start pawing through the reams of literature that debunk NRA nonsense. The data used by Kleck and Gertz for instance suggest that 1 in 100 adults engaged in a DGU during 1994. The DOJ estimates that perhaps as many as 1 in 1,800 did.

Quote:
The local news stories don't lie, every one of the DGUs compiled by the NRA can be verified by simply clicking on the link to the local news website. Are all these local news websites making up these stories?
Seriously? No untruth in local media? OMG!!!

Quote:
Just because you want to disarm Americans does not mean these events never happened.
I have suggested only that the situation with regard to gun-related death and mayhem is so bad that efforts toward harm reduction should be undertaken. I have asked over and over again what help you folks would be willing to offer in that regard, and gotten back nothing but blank stares.

Quote:
Do you have the same doubts about all local news stories. Do local news outlets just make up all their news coverage?
Local media are notoriously unreliable. They throw a poorly and cheaply written "first draft of history" out there and never go back to document, verify, or corroborate a single word of it. They are easy pickings for NRA-types looking to put their lies somewhere.

Quote:
As a defensive firearms instructor, I attend national conferences for instructors. I hear the stories first hand. I don't get my facts by sitting on a chair and using a keyboard. This is my livelihood and I study this from people that have experienced DGU's. I have emails from people that have needed to use the skills that I have taught them, thanking me for helping save their lives and the lives of their families. The thousands of instructors that attend these conferences have similar stories and we share them with each other. They are endless.
How tiresome. Maybe you could stop posting about yourself and stick to the topic.

Quote:
Thank God I live in a country that keeps the government from interfering with my ability to defend my family with a firearm should the need occur. It must suck being you, knowing there is nothing you can do short of appealing the 2nd amendment to achieve your agenda of disarming Americans.
With over 320 million firearms in America, and growing, you have an uphill battle. Even if you were legislatively successful, criminals will always have guns. They already have them and they last generations.
Main memory error. Reboot your system.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Someone suggesting to others that they should run from their home from an intruder, call 911, or run and hide has the audacity to tell me to be a man?
Yes, and in addition to using the REPLY button and fleeing if you can from an armed iuntruder, you should wear a seat belt in the car and a helmet on a bike, and be ever mindful of your blood pressure and cholesterol levels.

Real men stay alive! Only fools die for the sake of testosterone and NRA propaganda.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:19 AM

572 posts, read 552,164 times
Quote:
Are you not aware of the considerable effort and progress made in just such areas over the years? Do you for some reason believe that only one problem should be of general concern at a time?

The topic of THIS thread meanwhile is the silly notion that guns don't kill people. Rants about organic farming and GMO's would be out of place here.
I am of the opinion that to be effective, focus is needed...

it seems to me, that the notion of "Harm Reduction" (as it relates to firearms singularly) is being tossed around, primarily by you, as a concept worthy of any inputs and efforts expended, but that the actual reduction of harm isn't candidly/privately the true goal desired... otherwise, efforts would be focused elsewhere on the potential 'harm reduction' materiality scale.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:09 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Yes, and in addition to using the REPLY button and fleeing if you can from an armed iuntruder, you should wear a seat belt in the car and a helmet on a bike, and be ever mindful of your blood pressure and cholesterol levels.

Real men stay alive! Only fools die for the sake of testosterone and NRA propaganda.

Yes it does take a better man to walk away from a confrontation, or a fight. I have done so many times. But when it comes down to it, and intruder in my house kind of limits my options, now doesn't it? A real man also protects his family at all costs and eliminates the threat of some POS thug who would seek to cause he or his family harm during a home invasion. A real man also doesn't steal from someone else, or try to rape another man's woman or daughter.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:23 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,373 times
Quote:
So, you've never read anything about DGU's that wasn't produced by the NRA. That's laughable, but certainly not surprising. What you might want to do is visit the NCJRS library sometime and start pawing through the reams of literature that debunk NRA nonsense. The data used by Kleck and Gertz for instance suggest that 1 in 100 adults engaged in a DGU during 1994. The DOJ estimates that perhaps as many as 1 in 1,800 did.

Seriously? No untruth in local media? OMG!!!

I have suggested only that the situation with regard to gun-related death and mayhem is so bad that efforts toward harm reduction should be undertaken. I have asked over and over again what help you folks would be willing to offer in that regard, and gotten back nothing but blank stares.

Local media are notoriously unreliable. They throw a poorly and cheaply written "first draft of history" out there and never go back to document, verify, or corroborate a single word of it. They are easy pickings for NRA-types looking to put their lies somewhere.

How tiresome. Maybe you could stop posting about yourself and stick to the topic.

Main memory error. Reboot your system.
I'll take that as a no, that you cannot post the link to prove your claim that 95% of DGUs never happened. Noted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates