Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 01:11 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,961 times

Advertisements

This is to be expected of the poster you've replied to, Jeerleader--you're dealing with someone who believes that his reputation points are indicative of a popular secessionist movement instigated and spearheaded by, I guess, supporters of universal background checks (or government databasing of gun owners, whatever have you) and criminilization of cosmetically enhanced rifles.

For my part, I often wonder what God could be cruel enough to unleash the electoral will of Eastern Pennsylvanians and New Jerseyans on the rest of the country.

Secessionist fantasies aside (and don't dare try to convey the utter impossibility of peaceful secession to tom), I can't help but feel that the rest of us could be quite fine if the Northeast simply crumbled off of the mainland and floated over to the monarchic world of which it's truly a part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 03:22 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,217,887 times
What irks a lot of folks across the country is that Bloomberg is the mayor of New York City and yet is trying to push his agenda across the entire nation. If you have that much money burning a hole in your pocket, why not put it to use in your own backyard instead of alienating millions of non-New Yorkers. In return, I promise I won't put up Glock posters around your city.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:01 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
What irks a lot of folks across the country is that Bloomberg is the mayor of New York City and yet is trying to push his agenda across the entire nation. If you have that much money burning a hole in your pocket, why not put it to use in your own backyard instead of alienating millions of non-New Yorkers. In return, I promise I won't put up Glock posters around your city.

heck, if his money is making a hole in his pocket, why not give me a billion for my firearms, i can buy 2000 instead of 300 for a billion easy, and get a whole lot better ones too.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:06 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
I can't help but feel that the rest of us could be quite fine if the Northeast simply crumbled off of the mainland and floated over to the monarchic world of which it's truly a part.
Check out this Lyndon Johnson campaign commercial against Barry Goldwater in 1964.

US Democrats - Lyndon Johnson 1964 Video 2 - YouTube

Old 04-02-2013, 05:52 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Well since many like to compare cars and guns...I'll make my point doing just that.

What law abiding gun owners are up against would be somewhat like the government requiring you to:

Pass a background check before being allowed to buy a car.
Only allowing your car to hold five gallons of gas.
Only having the seating capacity of four.
Anything over 100 horsepower would require a means test and special training/licensing.
A waiting period upon purchase.
Require all cars to have an interlock device.
Requirement that your car be locked securely in a garage when not in use.
You will be held liable if someone steals your car and wrecks or commits a crime with it.

They will also:

Ask you to justify why you feel you NEED a car in the first place!
Mock you for wanting to drive instead of using public transportation.
Tell you that freedom of travel only refers to horse and buggy.
Tell you that a cars only purpose is to race, drive intoxicated or as a getaway vehicle.
Assume you think you're better than others because you want your own car.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:34 PM

408 posts, read 214,908 times
Kaaboom, gun rights advocates might actually agree to some of those regulations in return for an identical virtually unquestionable ability to have any "horsepower" and "GVWR" gun we want (I guess we could live with needing an extra "CDL" type endorsement for belt-fed full auto or mounting an anti-aircraft artillery weapon in the bed of a pick-up truck) and possess and use all manner of guns anywhere we go totally rendering impotent all state or local variations in the recognition of our gun license in the public domain.

If that doesn't work for you then you can just go pound sand and we'll just keep gun ownership as a right -- an exception of powers never granted . . .

The government simply possesses no power to do anything on your list and SCOTUS has already spoken on requiring a license to exercise an original, fundamental right.

Last edited by Jeerleader; 04-02-2013 at 06:43 PM..

Old 04-02-2013, 07:51 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Missing a lot on that image comparing cars to guns.

When you get that driver license, you get to drive anywhere in the USA. Lots of roads were built to accommodate your privilege to drive but when was the last time you saw a place to target practice built by the government?

Does anyone decide what type of car you can buy? If the car has a V8 or V10, are you suddenly breaking a law? You can sell your car to anyone you want and even give it away but try that with a gun.

You can buy a car as a gift for someone just because you want to, no checks involved. You just give it to them. They don't have to register it if they put in on private property and store it. Years later they can simply dismantle it and sell off the parts, nothing to stop them.

You can drive as much as you want, anytime you want. Is that same benefit going to apply to gun owners? Not likely.

If someone drives drunk and gets caught it is a felony. That person can still buy another car if they stay clean. Will that also be possible for the gun owner? In fact, if a person is convicted of felony drunk driving they can't ever buy a gun legally but they can buy a car. How does that calc?

Even if someone drives drunk and kills someone, after a time they can get a driver license and buy another car yet, that same person could not legally buy a gun.

The liberal mindset allows discrimination and can even justify it unless an opposing viewpoint wants the same and then it is war.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:18 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
I believe there is going to be an all out assault on gun owners and ownership over the next 20 years, only it is going to first come from the cultural side more than political. Hollywood, through movies and TV will begin putting out messages that demean gun owners and ownership. TV shows will begin portraying gun owners as crazy stupid people. With the help of the media, they will slowly begin indoctrinating Americans that gun ownership is a bad thing.
There is already an example of this with Comcast now refusing to allow gun advertising on its cable systems.
Comcast changes policy on accepting gun ads - Los Angeles Times
Why do that unless you think guns are bad?
Once they have accomplished their goal of demonizing gun ownership, the politicians will have the support to then come in and pass extremely restrictive gun laws and outright bans on guns.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:19 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikking View Post
actually, well under .1 1% of all guns are EVER used in a shooting of people, and millions of times per year, guns STOP a crime. And frankly, i will kill dozens of you before you will get my guns. if not hundreds, and thousands of people will do the same, so BRING IT ON, you wannabe Nazi gun grabber.
I used to be anti-gun, until I started reading biographies of such notable figures like Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, and recently a bio of the Marcos's of the Philippines. Then it clicked: These characters would never have made the history books if the populace in those countries were well-armed, like in Switzerland.

Imagine someone like Pol Pot or Ferdinand Marcos becoming a ruler in Switzerland!

The book on Pol Pot scared the beejuz out of me! All I've got is a handgun, and after reading that book, I realize I need to add some more powerful weapons to my collection! Just in case!

"It would never happen here!" How many millions regrettably said that over the years!!!

Old 04-03-2013, 08:08 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,395,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Lots of roads were built to accommodate your privilege to drive but when was the last time you saw a place to target practice built by the government?
I think it depends on your location. Our state department of natural resources actually operates free, public gun ranges across the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates