Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 07:43 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times

Advertisements

This morning I was thinking, why is it some people appear to have blessed by fortune and some seem to have a dark cloud over them? Last night Jennifer Lawrence, a 22 year old actress from Kentucky won an Oscar for best actress. She's the new "golden girl" of Hollywood, landing the iconic role of Katniss in the Hunger Games film trilogy and signed for other films too. I think she's a very talented actress, but then so are many others. Look at the original Star Wars cast. Harrison Ford has become one of the countries leading actors. What has Mark Hammel done? Carrie Fisher? A wealth rancher won millions in a lottery and when asked what he would do with his winning said, "I don't know, maybe buy another helicopter". Yet others struggle to scrape up $2.00 for a ticket and that dream. Bill Clinton, growing up poor in the south became President, his brother Roger, nothing. So, I ask why? Why do some seem to have been blessed by fortune, yet others, often members of the same family, have a dark cloud over them and struggle for everything? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 09:30 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,812,988 times
That's a complicated question.

Any combination of luck, intelligence, charm, wisdom, hard work, talent, skills, networking etc... Some people get there with integrity intact. Others don't.

I look at the people I finished school with. A few have done amazingly well. Some are successful. Some could be doing better. And then there's a few that disappear off the face of the planet, my guess is they're doing badly. Looking back, it's hard to predict success. The smartest and hardest workers weren't uniformly successful.

A family friend has a crappy work ethic and he's really bad with money. He's creative, giving, charming, fun, talented, intelligent and great at networking. He gets paid well enough for the work he does, but if he were better with money and had better work ethic, he would be a very rich man. Sometimes, people just shoot themselves in the foot. Still I know someone else that just has really bad luck.

So really, there are a lot of reasons and I don't think you can really narrow it down too much.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:35 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
There is the luck factor then there are people that make their own luck by stepping out and taking chances. They might have skills like singing or acting and they also need a huge boost of confidence to try. Many of us are downtrodden having had our dreams crushed at an early age by who knows what and we simply get on with our lives now and again wondering "what if"
I say the succesful people either have huge egos and don't take NO as an answer or they have been built up over time with success after success and they just keep reaching.
My sister and I had the same upbringing but we are totally different in just about every way. How do you explain it? I don't know but waking up each day feeling positive and trying to suceed and strive for success may be part of it.
In life there are many doors to be opened and paths to go down and if you keep choosing the right ones they will lead you to where you want to go.
Be positive everyday and good things will happen. Of course having looks, talent, and a friend in the BIZ goes along way too.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:12 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times
Granted talent hard work goes a long way. What about the two guys walking along, one guy spots a $20 bill on the sidewalk and picks it up. The other guy doesn't even notice it. There are people that seem to be blessed and others who seem to have a dark cloud hanging over them. It's something that has always be curious to me.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:13 PM

577 posts, read 992,979 times
Yes there are some people that seem to have opportunities and good things practically tossed at them throughout life, often with little effort on their part. Others seem to keep dragging through the mud pit no matter how hard they work to do better. Is it just blind luck? Some kind of karmic payment from another life? Or simply a matter of being in the right place at the right time. It's an interesting question. Perhaps some folks simply make better smarter decisions brought life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates