Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 10:47 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times

Advertisements

Here is the news today. Your opinions?

Former Phila. Cop Found Not Guilty Of Assaulting Woman on Puerto Rican Day « CBS Philly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 02:05 PM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Looking at the video it appears to me the woman is lying. It’s not clear in the video I saw that the officer intentionally hit the woman. It appears more as if the woman ignores the officer’s and tries to take off and the officer reaches out and she runs into his arm. Hard to tell but the officer is a big guy and if he hit her intentionally with a closed fist, I don’t think she would have been getting up like that.

Im not sure what the public expects. I know there are instances where officers way overstep their authority, but in many situations officers have a difficult time trying to do their job, keep the peace, keep people save while walking on eggshells as not to offend anyone in the process. If an officer in such situation tells you to put the beer down, or stop, just do it. Ignoring, arguing with or cursing a police officer never ends well.

Our society has all but lost any respect for authority. We see videos of teenage girl’s flipping off judges, teachers and bus drivers being bullied by students, parents that have no control over their children, yet we want justice, police protection, education, and free transportation.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:38 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,410 times
She received what was coming to her for not following orders.
He demanded her drop the bottle, she did not, he used force.

In a press conference that I watched on Philadelphia's ABC 6 her lawyer was speaking about a civil suit they were going to file against the officer. She was standing to her lawyers left side with this big angry half grin on her face nodding her head up and down.

If this was the same attitude that she displayed at the Puerto Rican Day Parade at the time of the incident it's fully understandable why she was hit, and hit hard.

I'm personally very pleased with the not guilty verdict and truly hope the officer gets his job back.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:36 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
His grab did seem a bit rough and abrupt, but it was probably an accident, or at least he didn't intentionally assault her but may've used excessive force, partly as an instinctive reaction. I think it's all a bit silly, tbh. Get over it. In America everything has to become a big legal beat-up.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:57 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
It's funny how the other officers looked shocked in the video and didn't help him. I guess they didn't want to be linked to the event. I don't blame them. It looks bad regardless, if you slow down the vid you can see a direct hit to the face. She's awfully small and could easily be apprehended without force by him. It's not like she was coming after him or running. Why wasn't she allowed to have the water bottle anyway? Isn't that a water bottle in her hand? IDK, seems he got away with that mistake, hopefully he will think before he acts next time and will use his training in hectic situations. I realize he was scared, and he looks it, but still they get training for that. My brother was an officer. I'm surprised by the verdict and he is a lucky guy. Hopefully he serves with that in mind. That could have ended his career. Thankfully she wasn't hurt.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:33 AM

552 posts, read 720,314 times
Why should a police officer have the authority to make you put a bottle down? Is there more to this Im not aware of?

Old 02-27-2013, 12:52 PM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHborn View Post
Why should a police officer have the authority to make you put a bottle down? Is there more to this Im not aware of?

The articles are conflicting about what actually happened. Apparently there was a chaotic and potentially volatile situation occurring with things being thrown at officers as they attempted to keep the peace. One statement was that the woman was spraying silly string when the officer was hit with an object. ? did she throw something at him? was she spraying silly string at him during a disturbance? We dont really know the details or the truth.
If an officer doesnt have the authority to make people put down what could be weapons or dangerous objects in an unruly situation, how can they do their job.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:45 PM

552 posts, read 720,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The articles are conflicting about what actually happened. Apparently there was a chaotic and potentially volatile situation occurring with things being thrown at officers as they attempted to keep the peace. One statement was that the woman was spraying silly string when the officer was hit with an object. ? did she throw something at him? was she spraying silly string at him during a disturbance? We dont really know the details or the truth.
If an officer doesnt have the authority to make people put down what could be weapons or dangerous objects in an unruly situation, how can they do their job.
Ok I was thinking it was more like they tried to prohibit glass bottles at the parade or something for "safety" reasons.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:50 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,561 times
he is still up crap creek. the officer chose not to have a jurry trial and let a judge ajudicate. smart move.

He has a whole host of legal problems ahead. Doubt this person will be a LEO again...not in Philly, not for that department.

Sure looked like a sucker punch to me.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:57 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times
Typical judge favoring police, even when they are wrong. While police too often overstep their role, judges support this behavior at nearly every turn.... that is the bigger crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates