Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 08:36 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,754 times

Advertisements

Wasn't sure if this was posted yet, but figured the topic would be appropriate to this forum:

Patients face bitter choice: Pay up or lose care - Health care- msnbc.com

"The Goodriches’ dilemma is becoming more common as a growing number of doctors enact their own brand of health reform. These physicians are opting out of the system, with some doctors dumping insurance companies altogether and others forcing patients to pay thousands of dollars in cash to keep the care they’re accustomed to."

Thoughts - especially with the HC situation we are facing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 08:46 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Well, that will just add more to the class of people that have been doing without health care. How much was that bottled water?

Old 11-24-2009, 09:00 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,754 times
Well, another point brought up in the article was:

The move to smaller, premium practices will worsen an already dire shortage of primary care doctors, creating an elite group of well-compensated physicians who see fewer and fewer upscale patients, dumping the rest on their increasingly harried colleagues, critics contend.

The U.S. is short by between 40,000 and 50,000 primary care doctors now, a figure that’s expected to top 125,000 by 2020, according to the American Academy of Family Physicians. That means people who don’t want or can’t afford concierge plans will have a harder time than ever finding a doctor.

But proponents of direct-pay and concierge care say the new models are the result of frustrated doctors defecting from a broken medical system, one that forces physicians to see too many patients for too little pay and with too much red tape.

Seeing this subset of doctors reacting this way for heir particular reasons makes me wonder if we will ever have enough doctors to take care of what could be an enormous insurgence of patients.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:04 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post

Thoughts - especially with the HC situation we are facing?
Giving doctors the power to arbitrarily throw patients into "health care prison" is not a solution. The insurance companies are already doing that.

The HC situation we are facing is not a Health issue, it is a Political issue.

Every country in the world has solved their health care situation, to the extent that any situation can be at least partially solved. All we have to do is pick one at random and apply it. The HC situation will then be significantly improved.

There is only one country in the world that has had a universal health care system, and thrown it out and replaced it with the American system. Iraq. It was the first order of business after we deposed Saddam.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:04 AM

And what do you think the solution is?

Old 11-24-2009, 09:09 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
They don't care as long as "It doesn't cost me anything."

Old 11-24-2009, 09:12 AM

Who are "they"?

Old 11-24-2009, 09:15 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times
In a Free enterprise system people can do that. Making a good living is not easy with all the gubment programs and insurance premiums. a Man has to do, what a Man has to do. How many good Men did we loose in Afghanistan last month. Nobody seems to concerned about that. where is that outrage?

Last edited by Thaskateguy; 11-24-2009 at 09:24 AM..

Old 11-24-2009, 09:19 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Are you asking me? There is no solution to the childish wrangling partisan political foolishness this country has gotten itself into. Except maybe a firing squad. Or maybe we could just whack politicians up aside the head with rolled up newspapers and say "We are talking about people living or dying here, not just your egos and corporate profits."

As for the health care system, as I said, just pick any country at random and do it their way. It would certainly be an improvement.

Here is a challenge for you. Find one single American who is on Medicare who wishes he had private insurance instead. Just one. If you can't find one, then put everybody on Medicare. By the way, I'll bet you can't link to a single article in a Canadian newspaper that faults the Canadian system, either. Canadians love their system, and are proud of it, and the few who don't are getting paid to write op-ed pieces for American papers, who are rushing to embrace the disgruntled.

By the way, let me tell you what life in America would be like without Medicare. I am on Social Security and Medicare. My entire annual income is less than you are paying in health insurance premiums alone. So, how would that work? If I had to buy my health insurance from your company, what would I have left over to live on?

Last edited by jtur88; 11-24-2009 at 09:44 AM..

Old 11-24-2009, 09:20 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Who are "they"?
The ones that seem to think it will be free or at a very low cost..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates