Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 11:05 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Any details? Care to tell us why you would rather give back your entire social security check as private insurance premium, instead of having Medicare?
Your question was: "Find one single American who is on Medicare who wishes he had private insurance instead."

Not: "Care to tell us why you would rather give back your entire social security check"

My private health care insurance cost for me and the wife when I was working was one fifth of my what my SS is.. After the first $5,000.00 it paid 100% of the bill.... Medicare only pays 80% of the total bill so I am told. I have only used it once and that is what it paid, I had to pay the difference out of pocket...To get a policy that paid as good as my private policy did I would have to purchase a supplemental policy that would cost almost as much as I was paying for the private policy and it would NOT cover my wife...

I use the VA and it sucks....At first I though it was better than private insurance but just try getting an appointment there...You can't...

I've also been in Doctors offices that have signs on their wall saying "We DO NOT accept medicare. You will have to pay your bill and file with medicare for reimbursement."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 11:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I would prefer a "free" (for me and other people like me) universal health care system paid for by a combination of income and financial property tax on the top 5% of the people of the country. That way we would get something useful out of the monopolists and war profiteers.

Part of the system would include a completely free education for anyone becoming a doctor of medicine and remaining in the field for at least 10 years.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:25 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
Wasn't sure if this was posted yet, but figured the topic would be appropriate to this forum:

Patients face bitter choice: Pay up or lose care - Health care- msnbc.com

"The Goodriches’ dilemma is becoming more common as a growing number of doctors enact their own brand of health reform. These physicians are opting out of the system, with some doctors dumping insurance companies altogether and others forcing patients to pay thousands of dollars in cash to keep the care they’re accustomed to."

Thoughts - especially with the HC situation we are facing?
Makes a good case for Nationalizing Health Care and making Doctors Government Employees

Old 11-24-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Makes a good case for Nationalizing Health Care and making Doctors Government Employees
Doctors are just like any other private business, but they already probably have more controls over them than you or I do...

Old 11-24-2009, 11:36 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Doctors are just like any other private business, but they already probably have more controls over them than you or I do...
Doctors are mostly controlled by their lawyers, who advise them how to avoid litigation. The usual advice is to order every conceivable test, regardless of cost, to CYA.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:42 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I wonder how becoming a government employee would make being a doctor "attractive" as a potential career option for our best and brightest. One of the major motivators (other than wanting to help people, but many careers can satisfy that urge) is money - a lot of which goes to malpractice insurance in this sue-happy country. I'd like to see how the logistics would work out, such that we can still entice INTELLIGENT people to be doctors.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:49 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I would prefer a "free" (for me and other people like me) universal health care system paid for by a combination of income and financial property tax on the top 5% of the people of the country. That way we would get something useful out of the monopolists and war profiteers.

Part of the system would include a completely free education for anyone becoming a doctor of medicine and remaining in the field for at least 10 years.
And who are "you," that you would qualify? I have a feeling that someone of my household income wouldn't qualify, even though I don't consider us wealthy, yet I wonder who will pay for our HC if/when the inevitable happens, and our employers drop insurance altogether based on how the pricing for all of this is worded.

Aside from my personal belief that "universal college" would be better than "universal health care," even if it were free, why would anyone want to take on the burden of being a doctor who works long hours and is underpaid for their work (not to mention malpractice insurance)? Not to mention... doesn't it take a BS, possibly an MS, then med school, and then residency to be a doctor? For the money, missing out on 10 years of income just for that might not be that attractive if doctor will be earning even less and getting more work.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Doctors are mostly controlled by their lawyers, who advise them how to avoid litigation. The usual advice is to order every conceivable test, regardless of cost, to CYA.
They order every test so a slick lawyer can't later ask in civil court.

"Doctor, why did you NOT order this test and can you prove that my client would not have lived if you had?"

Old 11-24-2009, 11:53 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
The first thing is to drop the cap on residencies

I don't see legitimate arguments being made. I see fear. I don't mean that with this crew.

I mean all over the place.

Fearing that we are not going to get the best and the brightest has not seemed to stave off the 10% worthless docs that we have now.

No, there is not some huge group of people who are walking around pretending that medical care will be for free.

You know what I hear? "Don't do that! Anything but that! NO! NO!"

But, I don't hear anyone IDENTIFYING or proposing solutions for what is going on now.

Last edited by Pandamonium; 11-24-2009 at 12:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates