Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 03:24 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times

Advertisements

the question is this....

Can the federal government punish a state for upholding a federal law that the federal government itself created, but chooses not to enforce.....at the detriment of that states population?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 03:45 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,217,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Arizona The new Confederate States of America. Or should I say the new Confederate State of America.

The way it looks, Arizona, Wyoming and and other states may comprise this new Confederacy. It'll be nonviolent this time, and pro-gun Blacks are invited

Old 03-02-2013, 04:54 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
The way it looks, Arizona, Wyoming and and other states may comprise this new Confederacy. It'll be nonviolent this time, and pro-gun Blacks are invited
Guns, what an odd thing to base one's politics on. It's like basing your politics on hammers or sawzalls. Pliers.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:29 PM

585 posts, read 1,087,245 times
Why not? Why not read up and consider (that means 'think about' ) the powers of the Federal government?

Old 03-03-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel de Vol View Post
Why not? Why not read up and consider (that means 'think about' ) the powers of the Federal government?
Interesting. The Constitution grants powers to the people that the Articles of Confedration reserved to the states; thus since the broadening of Federal powers are the will of the people as expressed by the election of those who broadened those powers, they are in that sense constitutional.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:57 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,217,887 times
I can understand why major metropolitan areas like Chicago, New York City, Boston, etc. would want to enact stricter guns laws, given their concentrated and diverse populations. However the average Idaho farmer or Arizona truck driver lives in a different environment. To him/her, Chicago might as well be on Mars.

Columnist Fred Reed called it right. The two have different and irreconcilable views of life and (figurably if not literally) live in two different countries.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I can understand why major metropolitan areas like Chicago, New York City, Boston, etc. would want to enact stricter guns laws, given their concentrated and diverse populations. However the average Idaho farmer or Arizona truck driver lives in a different environment. To him/her, Chicago might as well be on Mars.

Columnist Fred Reed called it right. The two have different and irreconcilable views of life and (figurably if not literally) live in two different countries.
I don't think a person needs a 30 round self-loading rifle in either Arizona or Chicago. Maybe Mars. But if people out in Arizona want to play with such toys that's their affair.

I think lots of people out west just put on a different pose than those in eastern cities and pretend to be far more independent and self sufficient than they really are. People in Chicago may pretend they're in a Jimmy Cagney movie and those in Arizona may pretend they're in a John Wayne movie but both poses are equally nonsensical. We're all tied into the same economic and social system.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:10 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Louisiana has introduced a similar bill into legislation. It's an act of treason.

I'm saying this with my .40 under my mattress and a rifle leaning on the wall.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:16 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,621,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Louisiana has introduced a similar bill into legislation. It's an act of treason.

I'm saying this with my .40 under my mattress and a rifle leaning on the wall.
Treason is the only crime listed in the Constitution. It dictates exactly what Treason is to mean and how it's treated.

If you're interested, think about why it's there.

Here's a link to the text
http://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_A3Sec3.html

Old 03-03-2013, 04:31 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,857,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
It all depends on the will of the federal government to enforce the federal law no matter what the state law may be. Just think about what happened in Arizona regarding school desegration. Arizona asid, "No way" the government of the USA said you have no choice to obey this law and we will see that you do. In the end they sent in the army to enforce the "Federal" law. The only thing a State can do is challenge the law through the courts. This is often done and the SCOTUS makes the final decision.
I don't think sending in the army would be a good idea this time around, it would most likely be the linchpin that starts the 2nd civil war.

bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates