Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 06:41 PM

760 posts, read 769,144 times

Advertisements

I call it "Farcebook" it's a stupid thing in every way, not only that but the require you to use your real name and all details, even your phone number to "verify" it's you, then they turn around and SELL the information to others so you basically start getting spammed.
Any idiot who would give them a valid email and phone number etc is nuts, and get this- Farcebook made billions of dollars- YOU all made a handfull of people RICH and what did you get in return? a stupid web page for "free" geez.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:00 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,098,982 times
Years ago when I was in college I finally caved in and setup a Facebook account. Got tired of everyone nagging me; "I can't find you on Facebook." I remember being told by people whom I considered friends that they would stay in touch with me on Facebook. They never made any effort. I got tired of it. Finally got tired of getting updates for stupid games something with Farm in the title. Never really understood it. I did get addicted to it. I finally deleted cold turkey. Now that we learn they are giving away so much private information I just feel better not having it.

Charlie.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:13 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,940,364 times
I've yet to set up a Facebook account and more than likely never will. Having accessed the pages of friends, family, old friends, friends of friends, acquaintances, co-workers, old high school allies, etc., etc., I would frankly be embarrassed to be even loosely associated with many of them, at least on the basis of things they'll post on their main walls (pertaining especially to divorces and other family feuds, drunken antics, break-ups, arrests, parental angst, sex, you name it--described in passive, vivid or embarrassingly melodramatic detail).

Old 07-16-2013, 06:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
I do belong but I only go to it about once a week and rarely even post. Heck I am not sure I even know how to post. I think it is ridiculous, if I want to talk to someone I can call them or email them. If I want t get a message to a lot of people I just email all of them. Hubby won't even consider using it. I think our granddaughter spends her time posting pictures of her baby on face book. He is adorable, but give it a break for heavens sake. You post the picture, then you wait for all your friends to tell you how cute or sweet he is, then you post again.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Farcebook made billions of dollars- YOU all made a handfull of people RICH and what did you get in return? a stupid web page for "free" geez.
What do I get in return? I get connections and shared photos with my grown kids, which is difficult sometimes because of time zone differences - one family (with four grandkids) lives in Guam (fifteen hour time difference) and one family (three grandkids) lives in England (six hour time difference). Skype dates are hard to pull off with the time differences and with the location of one of those families (bad internet connection for streaming), and emails are not as "fluid" and "real time." One of my favorite pastimes is messaging back and forth with my daughter in England in the early morning ( six am my time and noon - her lunchtime - there) - it's the closest we can get to talking face to face.

I don't care if some people get rich off Facebook - more power to 'em.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:20 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,593,850 times
I'm proud of never having a facebook account, an iPhone, a Macintosh product of any kind, a twitter account, an instagram account, designer clothes, tight jeans, a taste for microbrew (or generic bud-swill), a single cup of Starbucks coffee ever, a taste for reality TV, watching sports... and so on and so forth. In short, I don't quite fit in, it would be easier if I did, but everybody has his own cross to bear .

Old 07-16-2013, 08:08 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,506,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
I call it "Farcebook" it's a stupid thing in every way, not only that but the require you to use your real name and all details, even your phone number to "verify" it's you, then they turn around and SELL the information to others so you basically start getting spammed.
Any idiot who would give them a valid email and phone number etc is nuts, and get this- Farcebook made billions of dollars- YOU all made a handfull of people RICH and what did you get in return? a stupid web page for "free" geez.
I never had to give them my phone number. I did give them my email address but it's an alternate one that I use for such purposes.
It took me a long time to figure out what the point of Facebook was. I'm still not a major user of it but I do use it to keep in touch with family and friends, especially those who are overseas. I think it's good for that purpose.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:11 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,804 times
I hope there's a trend in the future towards less information online. What exactly do you get from putting so much information online? What happened to the concept of "privacy"? Privacy as defined before the internet!

Before the internet, people didn't give away hardly anything. Photos stayed at home. Are people going to get tired of all this stuff online? It seems pointless. It seems like a gigantic marketing scam. Kind of like how they ask for your zip code at super markets.

"They" just like data. They being the big, big corporations. They can't get enough data to slice, dice, sell, redistribute.

I'm suspicious of where data goes on the internet and what it's ultimately used for. The NSA spying scandal lately? You wonder how many peoples names end up in servers at Langley (CIA), the Whitehouse, foreign governments, big corporations here.

-This obession with facebook "likes", what's the point?? I see that everywhere. Is anyone going to care how many likes someone gets in 10 years? It seems like an enormous bubble of the superficial.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:30 PM

454 posts, read 794,036 times
wow glad to see so many non-Facebook users... thought i was the only one !

it's prolly a basically good place to connect, share, but it can and does get out of hand... tons of strangers asking to be your friend, when you most likely would not choose to consort with them in real life! and why would i post on FB that i just ate a cinnamon roll or stepped on a hairball barefoot this morning? who would care? LOL

i've known too many people who spend HOURS every day until it becomes an obsession. ergo, decided i didn't want to be on FB, MySpace, MyFace, Tweeter or whatever they are LOL.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:56 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,245,457 times
Yeah me. "Fakebook" holds absolutely no interest for me.

Is that because I don't need to post my existence online, to be sure I have one?

Or maybe I'm not an egotist who wishes to put on a show for friends/acquaintances/strangers?

Maybe I just don't care much about other people shampooing their dogs or buying a new car.

Every person I know who spends excessive time on FB actually has no life to speak of. If they did they wouldn't have excessive time to spend on FB, KWIM?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates