Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 03:42 PM

582 posts, read 1,118,394 times

Advertisements

I'm not on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, etc. They all just seem like a lot of work. I communicate with friends and family via my cell phone (99% phone calls, 1% text messages) and the occasional face-to-face visit.

I'm just not a fan of creating work and additional stress where none should exist, and Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, etc. all seem like a lot of work and stress with very little – if any – real reward . I prefer to spend my time actually living offline instead of bragging (lying) about it online.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:48 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
I hate that! It's such an annoying trend to make people sign in with their Facebook account. Once you do and go back to your Facebook page, you see articles you've read have been posted. Creepy. Oh, and things you shop for too are posted. Hate the invasion of privacy. I've recently quit FB since for me the negatives overwhelm the positive. I wish I had quit before the elections last November.
That's my main issue with it too, although truly for any of us who have an online life, nothing is truly private. It's not just FB or google...search for some sort of product, then go to just about any news site and you'll see online ads for what you searched for popping up every other page.

I sort of wish I hadn't visited the Warby Parker sunglasses site two weeks ago because I'm now getting Warby Parker ads everywhere and it's irritating.

Online is not private. People truly concerned with privacy don't go online at all - or they take extreme precautions, but still....we are all being tracked by marketers, like it or not. How do you think sites like CD are not only free, but make a significant profit?

That said I don't do FB and never sign into a second party site with FB or google.

But I am still a consumer and a commodity. As are all of us who use the internets.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:44 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
<snip>
and from things i have witnessed, it becomes trouble;

ie: a family dinner thing, and my cousin posted a picture of all of us sitting around the table.
then the trouble started, my other cousin texed back, nice, we werent invited.....here we go.... it was an impromptu thing.

but this is how trpouble starts, if the pic was never posted and no one knew about the imprompty dinner no one would have known.
That's true, and annoying when I feel like I have to censor comments I might or might not make about something we did or a place we went. I do though, because my mother is on my friend list and how DARE I do anything with my wife and kids and not invite her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
The good news, if you want to call it that, is that Facebook's popularity is waning. In particular with teens. More people are opting for sites like Instagram, Pinterest, etc.
My fifteen year old son just deleted his Facebook account entirely. He's done it before though. He wasn't mad or anything, just tired of it, then his Grandmother had a cow because it's the "only way" she can get in touch with him, she says.

I don't know, these days I feel like it's a thing I have to check regularly but not much fun for me at all.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:29 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I made one for the sole purpose of seeing the photos my kids posted but now they use instagram and that's so much better...all the pics and non of the bs. I still have a fb account, locked down private from here to Tuesday, just in case anyone from my past feels the need to reach out to me and to "like" certain businesses that give me free stuff. Several people from the old days asked to friend me but after the initial message exchange they must find me boring since I've only posted 2 times in 3 years and don't add photos or anything. I've never friend requested anyone and only have a handful.

My gut feeling is that it's seen it's best days already.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:15 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
I wonder if I'm anti-social since I have no desire for Facebook, Twitter or even texting! I do communicate with friends & family Instant messaging & cell phones! I'm sorry but I really don't want to know what you had for breakfast,lunch or dinner every single day or what new stunts your pets did along with pictures!
Who are these people who spend their lives transmitting every random thought ( especially celebs)? Don't they have a life?

Old 04-09-2013, 10:28 PM

573 posts, read 970,614 times
I have no use for facebook. If someone can't take the time to call me up, or write an email, then they weren't that interested anyway.

I also don't need my life on public display, as it will be used against you in any situation.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:32 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,650,692 times
Me. The thing is, the people from my past who aren't in my life - aren't there because I can't stand them. The people I want in my life are already there. The jerks from the past need to stay there. If I haven't contacted you in decades it's because I don't want to.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:08 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,607,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
Tried for awhile and cancelled, I just don't see the attraction. Sure it's nice to see family and friend's pictures and updates but 99% of it is just sheer drivel that it becomes such a chore to weed through it's not worth it.

LITERALLY... people taking pictures of their food religiously. People posting that they just made a sandwich or had a cup of coffee. Then there are the constant game updates that someone scored points in Farmville or gangsterland or whatever those games are.
Then you get the people who post cheesy inspirational sayings or pictures that they expect everyone to "like". It seems like it would be a full time job or at least far more time than I'd want to invest.

What's wrong with email, the telephone or God forbid, actually talking to people?
I was on it for a while because most of my friends/former colleagues don't live in the US...so, we sort of got "in touch" again...but I am off now because it is just not that interesting anymore... we have jobs, kids, too busy to keep updating my status with what I'm eating/or what they're eating...kinda retarded...plus it is so infested with ads that is just annoying, I won't ever buy anything promoted that way. Please don't get me started on that Farmville non sense...OMG...

I really wish we could revert back to that...
Quote:
What's wrong with email, the telephone or God forbid, actually talking to people?

Old 04-10-2013, 07:02 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
Me. The thing is, the people from my past who aren't in my life - aren't there because I can't stand them. The people I want in my life are already there. The jerks from the past need to stay there. If I haven't contacted you in decades it's because I don't want to.

are you sure you don't come from brooklyn??? LOL.

I feel the same way, if you aren't in my life, then your not supposed to be. I have enough stuff to keep me busy without FB.

and if i knew you in HS and havent seen or talked to you since we graduated, why would i give a rats azz about you now, or even be interested....

Old 04-10-2013, 07:15 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,319 times
Seems like most of the facebook gripes come down to 1-the individual not knowing how to use it. Seriously, if someone is posting 30 ______ items a day clogging up your news feed you can do 1 of 2 things. a)remove them from your friends list or b)check the "do not show in newsfeed" option. Basically unsubscribing from them but retaining them as a friend. 2-A lot of anti-social, I don't care about your life comments. I can't recall the last time someone posted what they had to eat unless of course they were vacationing somewhere. Other than that, I don't get play by play events of my friends lives. Based on the tone of these comments, I wonder if these are associates and not friends and that the person saying them just doesn't have anyone close to them in their life.
I do have my gripes with facebook, and I do protect myself by providing facebook with false personal info as to protect myself. But it's nice to know what's going on with close friends and family without having to call (I hate talking on the phone) or emailing them (How many times has your email ended up in their spam folder, they never got it, their email got hacked so they have a new one and you dont' know what it is, etc). It's also easier to organize parties and events. If I have nothing to do on a Friday night, rather than spam 50 phones with "what are you into tonight?", I can make a wall post on facebook and find someone to hang out with, without bothering everyone I know.
I guess my defense of facebook is, it's just a tool. You make it what it is. It doesn't have to be your life. The hatred and "go to hell" retorts or not needed and would indicate that someone is just flat out unhappy in their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates