Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 07:46 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,926 times

Advertisements

Broadly speaking I'd agree with this, the 20s are very important. It is an important decade socially, ideally during your 20s you will keep the link between childhood, high school and college friends. If kids are a priority, it would be ideal to find true love in your 20s.

But even though some say our 20s are a time to learn and our 30s are a time to earn, for people who have to live independently, you also have to earn in your 20s. Too many people accumulate massive debt in their 20s, which can compromise your decisions and options in the future. Ex. a 32 y/o gal $80,000 in debt might end up marrying Mr. Wrong, or staying in a field she hates because it pays a bit better... avoid massive debt.

The 20s are also our first decade getting set in our adult ways. So ideally, we learn how to eat well, bring regular exersize into our lives, and set healthy, responsible patterns at home, even on mundane things like dental care or cleaning.

If you look at how youth oriented our culture and its products are, you could argue that there is extra pressure just to have fun in our 20s. To travel, to bond with many, to use our young, healthy, attractive bodies, to use all that entertainment technology, and to enjoy all the crap aimed at young adults.

So on one hand, our 20s are a "go for it" decade, on the other hand it is crucial to avoid poor decisions which might plague you till death. Now I know I'm not helping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 06:34 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,852 times
Ok 60 years old and Bad health,two marraiges first time 11 years,this time around 30.Worked long enough to get a pension from a Good Union Job.Just bought my 7th House owe 10 years on it but its one of the nicest places I've had.

I've left very Good Jobs,didn't go to College,did go to Trade School.I traveled all over the U.S. driving OTR with my wife.Worked many Jobs that didn't pay well.Me and my wife Homesteaded a place,very isolated from the world,lived there 17 years,just got to be too much to get in and out with our age.

Did I make mistakes? Yes.Could I have made more money? Yes.Do I have some regrets? Yes. Did I have fun? Yes.I look back and think I could have done this different but there is nothing I can do to change my past.Basically I'm setting back waiting on the day I go to be with my Heavenly Father,it was a fun ride.

Good Luck on Your Ride!

brushrunner

Old 08-02-2013, 10:44 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
I have heard that the twenties are the most life-defining decade, as in what you in your twenties largely impacts future decades and indicates how the rest of your life will turn out, from your career success to love and marriage. In other words, people who slack off in their twenties, going from low-paying jobs to low-paying jobs and stay single will, most likely, end up with a lackluster career and perhaps stay single (from what I've heard).

I am only 21 years old (will be 22 next month), so I lack the life experience to really answer this question, but to those of you have lived longer (40s and up), do you think that the twenties were the most important decade of your life? Did they "set the tone" for the years to follow? And would you say that the twenties were the "best decade" you have experienced thus far?

I have always stumbled through life. I'm chronically single, and I go to college full-time and work two jobs in my related field of study, but have had many struggles for as long as I can remember. So I wonder, if this is how my earlier years are starting, does this mean I will continue to stumble along for the next forty or so years and perhaps single? In the Midwest, many people my age are already done with college, have decent entry-level jobs, and are secure in long-term relationships, even marriage. These seem to be the same people who have soared in life or have cruised along without many obstacles.

Thanks in advance for your responses!
For us, our twenties really was a defining decade . We had 3 of our children in our twenties..I wouldn't say it was "the best decade" we have ever experienced though...it was fun raising our children, but also a lot of work...The best for us is now...the fifties...we can relax more now knowing all of our children are doing well, and able to take care of themselves, and enjoy their own lives and families...It's especially fine to have grandchildren to love..can't get enough of that....At 21, you have lots of time to decide what path in life you would choose. Not every ones the same. Some people won't marry, nor have children...their lives are much much different than mine, though I would never presume that mine was better.
I knew what I wanted at a young age, went for it, found it, and have never had regrets. Your life is mostly what you make of it...your future is your own...try not to compare yourself to others, try not to be concerned or worried about what you think you should be doing, but aren't..live to be happy. If you're enjoying being who you are now, you're ahead of most people already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates