Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 11:27 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,772,773 times

Advertisements

I read in several national news sources that the crime rate is going down in American cities. Do you believe that? A few months ago there was a big stink in the Milwaukee police department because they were fudging crime statistics. Some of the things that they were doing was putting down serious assaults as misdeamenors. I think all cities are doing that. The reason is tourism is one of the biggest money makers for cities and all cities are in economic trouble. If people believe the crime rate is going down they will feel safer traveling to a city. It is probably a complicated question but I don't believe the crime rate is going down on our cities.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:38 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I read in several national news sources that the crime rate is going down in American cities. Do you believe that? A few months ago there was a big stink in the Milwaukee police department because they were fudging crime statistics. Some of the things that they were doing was putting down serious assaults as misdeamenors. I think all cities are doing that. The reason is tourism is one of the biggest money makers for cities and all cities are in economic trouble. If people believe the crime rate is going down they will feel safer traveling to a city. It is probably a complicated question but I don't believe the crime rate is going down on our cities.
It depends on the city.

Police would have the incentive to fudge in order to make crime seem higher than it is, rather than lower, as higher reported levels of crime would mean more money for departments and protection from budget cuts. However, many crimes go undetected because of the victims being involved in criminal activity themselves and not wanting undue police attention. Also, illegal immigrant victims of crime are loath to report the crimes to police, despite amnesty existing for crime victims. This is why murder statistics are considered the best indication of crime levels - murder is harder to conceal than other crimes.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:02 AM

530 posts, read 1,360,006 times
It has actually gone down. I think it's mainly due to increased video games usage in recent decades.

Most teens/young adults in both "vulnerable" inner-city areas as well as affluent suburbs are now drawn to being inside playing video as opposed to congregating on the streets like in previous generations. I've seen it with my own two-eyes how streets that were once filled with kids in the late 90's are now EMPTY..

This without-a-doubt decreases crime rates though of course, there are other consequences as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates