Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 10:09 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,391,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Guess what? It's not my job to think about ideas...I have my own issues but for the thousands of people that have been kicked off healthcare insurance and now will have to pay triple..that is a train wreck-Yes I'm one of them...received a letter and now I have NO insurance...
If you are being "kicked off", it's because you are in the individual market and the issuer isn't offering your current plan anymore. That would be because the issuer is losng money on it. Hard to blame him. PPACA requires that uninsured and under-insured persons purchase health insurance to minimal standards or pay a tax. If you truly can't afford such insurance, credits and discounts are available. If you are just whining, credits and discounts are not available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
We are one step away from socialized medicine...
If you are 64 years old, you are one step away from Medicare. But that's not socialized medicine. It is a single-payer insurance plan, and the people on it seem to be kind of happy with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 03:02 PM

334 posts, read 716,362 times
What would you fix about the ACA

For starters, I'd have a website that worked. At 4PM today it was still hosed. Barry said it would be fixed today. He's wrong yet again. I'm stunned.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:49 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Default The narrative from the Obama haters

I'm an expert in computer software and I have been a software engineer for over 20 years. Never during that time did I see the initial implementation of a system work flawlessly. Rather, problems were uncovered, and the system had to be tweaked. Bugs were uncovered that weren't possible to be discovered until the system was in full operational mode. It is therefore unreasonable for those who hate President Obama, to designate the implementation of the ACA is a utter failure. It's a work in progress, akin to every computer system that has ever relied on computer software and hardware for its successful implementation and operation.

The implementation of the ACA is ongoing, and the concept of affordable health care for all is a noble goal, something that has been desperately needed. What would I fix? The narrative from the Obama haters.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I'm an expert in computer software and I have been a software engineer for over 20 years. Never during that time did I see the initial implementation of a system work flawlessly. Rather, problems were uncovered, and the system had to be tweaked. Bugs were uncovered that weren't possible to be discovered until the system was in full operational mode. It is therefore unreasonable for those who hate President Obama, to designate the implementation of the ACA is a utter failure. It's a work in progress, akin to every computer system that has ever relied on computer software and hardware for its successful implementation and operation.

The implementation of the ACA is ongoing, and the concept of affordable health care for all is a noble goal, something that has been desperately needed. What would I fix? The narrative from the Obama haters.
Even one of the doctors I work with said something similar to the above!

Old 12-02-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickySantoro View Post
What would you fix about the ACA

For starters, I'd have a website that worked. At 4PM today it was still hosed. Barry said it would be fixed today. He's wrong yet again. I'm stunned.
12/02/13 8AM. Still broken.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Another pathetic attempt to gloss over yet another Obama failure.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:03 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Another pathetic attempt to gloss over yet another Obama failure.
Try a different talking point. That one doesn't fit.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:26 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Although, usually software gets "beta-tested" — gets released to a small sample of users, and before that the employees spend lots of time testing it for bugs. I don't know the details, but it sounds like it may have been a rush job. Apple in particular will delay a release for many months if they think it's just not ready yet. Political pressure would have made that hard to do. Some other states that ran their own exchange got their websites right (Massachusetts years ago, California, Kentucky and a few others), others had just as much trouble as the US (Oregon).

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/25/op...e-we-come.html

Old 12-02-2013, 11:52 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Default Cross Posting

Quote:
12/02/13 8AM. Still broken.

Why are you cross posting over on the Health Insurance Forum?

Old 12-03-2013, 08:29 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
I'm not looking for trashing Obama.. trashing liberals and even trashing conservatives in this thread. I'm looking for a serious discussion about the law and where we can IMPROVE it.. not dismantle it.

I will say that I am a defender of it, but the ACA is not the most ideal reform that I wanted. However, I'm personally grateful for it's inception. BUt I recognize that it's not perfect (and never claimed it to be).

So, I would like to hear from those with serious thoughts about what they would change about the law or where they would improve it.

Here's what I would have liked to see:

1. I would have liked to see a medicare for all option. I think it might have offered some serious competition to insurance companies giving them more incentive to lower their prices.

2. I would have opened insurance across state lines. This would help those in rural areas where only two options are available, have more choices thereby pushing down prices.

3. I would have added tort reform.

4. I would have tied the law in with some sort of relief to doctors and education costs.

I may have more ideas down the line, but I would like to hear some of yours.. without the trashing, etc.

get rid of it completely.

then allow the people to buy health insurance across state lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates