Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 08:18 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,142,183 times

Advertisements

I grew up on the era of polio. Remember that? The little malady that crippled adults and CHILDREN alike? Decades it scared the beJesus out of the world. Then a genius named Salk came through with a miracle prevention that pretty much eliminated that terrible disease.

I recall as a kid how lucky I was that myself and my playmates we not stricken. Seeing those people in those iron lungs. Then, seeing small ones with small children in them. Unable to move. To go out and play like we could.
But, the fear was still there............

The day when I got vaccinated, with that sugar cube with the red spot, as soon as I put it into my mouth, then swallowed, it was the greatest feeling there could be.

I WAS SAFE NOW!!!!!

Proof is that polio has been eradicated. except among those that WILL NOT VACCINATE THEIR KIDS!!!

Unfortunately, people that disagree with this are far too stubborn to convince otherwise.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:07 AM

10,257 posts, read 6,348,234 times
I grew up in NYC during the 1950's. I remember that sugar cube in school. SO HAPPY? None-issue for children. No sense of "relief" for 8 year olds. Were our parents? Look at these pictures and see how terrified our parents were of contagious diseases in those days. I can remember my parents saying about turning on fire hydrants, that it not only entertained the kids, but also cleaned up the streets. I am not going to get into WHAT the streets were cleaned of. Use your imagination. There were horses, dogs, rats, drunks around. Parents terrified of contagious diseases?

Cooling off with fire hydrants and diving into the Hudson River: What a New York summer was like - before air-conditioning | Daily Mail Online
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates